Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

teopilot
Topic Author

Pre-screening: General (teopilot)

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:43 am

Hello all,

I start this new thread since I have some photos I would like some feedback about.

So... let's start!  

1. http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/3957/img2665t.jpg
A320 Pedestal
Then a further question has come up to my mind. Let that a picture like this is accepted, would an overview shot of the cockpit be rejected for "double" or would it be ok in this sense?

2. http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8351/img2731s.jpg
Window view

3. Probably a "difficult" picture for here, but I want to try it, however.
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7141/img3197k.jpg
(chosen over several others from the same sequence... but this is probably the one with less dead space)

thanks in advance!

Matteo

mjgbtv

RE: Pre-screening: General (teopilot)

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:43 am

Hi Matteo,

I am not familiar with cockpit shots so I can not comment too much on yours. I do think that an overview would probably be a double but I am not sure.

The window view is a nice shot, but it looks grainy, especially in the sky. You might also have a problem with the darkness, although I personally think it adds to the appeal of this shot. A bit more contrast might help.

I like the balloon shot, and I think the motive has a chance. I do see some fringing(?), particularly on the steeple on the right and also somewhat on the balloon. I do not know how much of a problem that would be.

Marty

teopilot
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Quoting mjgbtv (Reply 1):
I like the balloon shot, and I think the motive has a chance.

Let's hope for this!  
But then...

I do see some fringing(?), particularly on the steeple on the right and also somewhat on the balloon. I do not know how much of a problem that would be.

That would be a problem I think, also because some significant chromatic aberrations seem to be present. Well, let's get back to the original and re-edit it!  
Thanks for making me notice it!

The window view is a nice shot, but it looks grainy, especially in the sky. You might also have a problem with the darkness, although I personally think it adds to the appeal of this shot. A bit more contrast might help.

Thanks but actually, while I think I can do something for the grainy, it is impossible to fix the darkness in any way: light was "covered" by clouds, unfortunately...
On the other hand, now that you have said it, let's try with a little bit more contrast, since it should benefit to the picture!

So... some further work for me then! LOL

teopilot
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:25 am

Apart from the shots above (which are still waiting in my own "edting queue") I have re-edited another one, rejected for dark.
Rejected one:
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...20813_k1343902506.3884img_1266.jpg

Brightened one
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...eady/v1345623399.6855img_12661.jpg

Is it acceptable now?

NZ107

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 am

Quoting teopilot (Reply 3):

I'd personally use a little shadows/highlights instead of just the brightness slider.. You can also control the overexposed areas a little too. Just don't overdo it.

teopilot
Topic Author

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks Nicholas for the tip... I must admit that I didn't think about using that feature.

Anyway, I've tried to go with that... Carefully, of course, because otherwise it would have ended up into a picture that I would define "tendent to unreal", since this effect does not give anything to this shot (also because in that case the picture wouldn't haev had any chance...)

So, the compromise I've reached is a one where over-exposed areas are a little bit "better controlled"... but with the drawback that the overall brightness has been affected.
Any better in this one?
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6449/img12662.jpg

NZ107

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:56 am

Quoting teopilot (Reply 5):

Then you use the other slider to increase the brightness in the dark areas a little. It looks like you only touched one of them..

teopilot
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:40 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 6):
Then you use the other slider to increase the brightness in the dark areas a little. It looks like you only touched one of them..

... or probably I could also have put too much of the other one, too, thus "darkening" some areas.
I'll give it another editing try... taking care of this...