Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bustin
Topic Author

Prescreening - Bustin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi,

I've been uploading this this picture in airliners. But I've always had dark rejection.
I have tried to improve the light but the light conditions are not the best. I know.
I wonder if the photo has some chance of being accepted. I've seen pictures accepted to the plane in shadows mostly.
I have an interest in these photos because they are the last Spanish Navy aircraft carrier "Principe de Asturias" air operations before retirement.
But if some screener or headscreener think that the picture have not chance. I no will upload again.

Best Regards

Bustin

dazbo5

RE: Prescreening - Bustin

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Quoting bustin (Thread starter):
I wonder if the photo has some chance of being accepted.

If you've had several dark rejections previously, then I would say no. There's nothing more you can do to increase the brightness on that. As you say, the light was not at a great angle but there probably wasn't much you could do about it. It's a nice photo, but probably not one for here. I would agree though, there are plenty of photos in the database that are darker than yours.

Darren

bustin
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi Darren,

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 1):
I would agree though, there are plenty of photos in the database that are darker than yours.

Thanks for your honest opinion. I think I'll risk it and give the photo a last chance. I think it's worth.

Best Regards

Bustin

dazbo5

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Quoting bustin (Reply 2):
I think I'll risk it and give the photo a last chance

Just be careful with the highlights. Much more brightening, and I wouldn't be surprised for you to go from a dark rejection to overexposed.

Darren

bustin
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 3):
Much more brightening, and I wouldn't be surprised for you to go from a dark rejection to overexposed.

Thanks Darren.

But on this website. Whoever this are certain to get the correct sharpness, contrast or light? My experience on this website has shown me that what today is picture soft, low contrast or dark, tomorrow may be oversharp, high contrast, overexposed or photo accepted. This is only a honest opinion. With all respect to the good work of the screener, of course.

Bustin

bustin
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi,

Lately I'm having some rejections by banding in sky. Especially with blue sky. I have not changed the way of editing.
Someone can help me to prevent this issue. Or tell me some post in this forum where discuss the matter?

I added my last rejection by banding in sky. No more rejection reason.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...25_k1366100589.0463130415-0051.jpg

Best Regards

Bustin

dazbo5

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Quoting bustin (Reply 5):
I added my last rejection by banding in sky

Did you alter the contrast much? The only time I tend to see banding is if the contrast was weak and I've had to increase it by quite a lot. That will often lead to banding in the sky. I can see signs of it in your photo although I ouldn't have said the contrast would have been weak in that photo..

Darren

bustin
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks Darren.

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 6):
Did you alter the contrast much?

I no alter the contrast more than usual.
Sorry Darren, my english is not good. I understand that you want say is best no alter too the contrast in the sky?

Regards

Bustin

vikkyvik

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 6):
The only time I tend to see banding is if the contrast was weak and I've had to increase it by quite a lot.

Banding or blotchiness can also occur from use of noise reduction on the sky. I've also seen it in my photos when there are large brightness gradients, like when you have a shot with the sun in it.

bustin
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 8):

Ok, How overcome this problem? No use of noise reduction and with the standard of this web would go to noise rejection. I think.

Regards

JakTrax

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm

When you significantly increase contrast you begin to 'segregate' pixels, i.e. make neighbouring pixels more individual. This basically causes groups of pixels to look different from the next group, and so on and so forth. Digital can be pretty unforgiving with these colour transitions, especially (as Vik says) when you reduce noise, which othewrwise tends to mask the problem.

Banding is also normally more apparent (again as pointed out above) in areas of harsh gradation, especially where light from a concentrated source (such as the sun) is entering the lens. Due to the way digital handles colour and tone this often leads to a very noticeable and rough transition between very bright/blown pixels and those in the vicinity that are more balanced.

Shooting in and processing RAW should go some way towards eliminating the problem (unless you are shooting RAW already?).

Karl

bustin
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:42 am

Quoting JakTrax (Reply 10):
Shooting in and processing RAW should go some way towards eliminating the problem (unless you are shooting RAW already?).

I always shot and process in RAW.
I have note that lowing contrast in sky. Banding is less obvious. Is it possible? Really, I just I have this problem in a timely manner in a few photographs.

Bustin

JakTrax

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:51 am

Bustin,

As far as I know banding can only result from jpeg compression, 'over-editing' or gradation due to blown portions of the sky (which I imagine will only really become apparent when resized, so again is introduced during editing). Since you are processing the RAW files it can't be compression (I assume you are saving at the maximum quality?) so it must be down to the editing.

Only other thing I would suggest - aside from keeping the sun >100 degrees over either shoulder - is to resize to or larger than 1200 pixels. The smaller the image, the more likely the banding.

Cheers,

Karl

bustin
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Ok Karl

I will make some test edition.

Thanks and best regards

Bustin

bustin
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:34 am

I have this rejection today. Contrast and distance rejection. Personal "Flat, too much empty spaces at the edges"

I can understand the contrast rejection. No problem to correct this. But...Distance!! rejection. This rejection motive no make sense to me. I think the aircraft are correctly centered.

Before I reupload the picture I would like some opinion about the distance rejection.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...07_v1369670937.6816130420-0068.jpg

Regards

Bustin

angad84

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Quoting bustin (Reply 14):
This rejection motive no make sense to me. I think the aircraft are correctly centered.

I agree. The wings fill the frame, I don't know what else can be asked for. This is like complaining about dead space above and below an aircraft when it's a side-on shot!

Cheers

JakTrax

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Perhaps not as ridiculous as it seems at first.....

A 4/3 crop would reduce the dead space, so I think that's what they are probably hinting at.

Karl

dlowwa

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:39 am

Quoting bustin (Reply 14):
Before I reupload the picture I would like some opinion about the distance rejection.

While a 3:4 crop would help, this should not have been rejected for distance. If you wish to appeal, I can remove the distance rejection, although the contrast looks bad enough it may not be fixable.

bustin
Topic Author

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks to all.

Quoting dlowwa (Reply 17):
If you wish to appeal, I can remove the distance rejection

I will correct the contrast and reupload again.

Here I have another contrast - distance rejection.

Again I can correct the contrast, and again this rejection motive no make sense to me. I think distance is correct to this two ship picture.

https://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...ame=a1369778977.533130528-0021.jpg

Regards

Bustin

angad84

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Quoting bustin (Reply 18):
Here I have another contrast - distance rejection.

I think this one is a combination of distance/motive. The two aircraft are far enough apart that framing them together doesn't make much sense. In any case, their placement in the frame is awkward.

Cheers

dlowwa

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Quoting bustin (Reply 18):
Again I can correct the contrast, and again this rejection motive no make sense to me. I think distance is correct to this two ship picture.

Too much empty space in this one, so distance was justified in this case.

bustin
Topic Author

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:32 am

Hi,

Yesterday I have two accepted picture.

- n1370166345.9648130528-0252.jpg (USA - Air Force Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker (717-148))

- g1370165649.9543130531-0050.jpg (Spain - Air Force CASA C-101EB Aviojet)

But KC-135R picture appears double in database with consecutive identifications ID2271890 - 2271889.

Please, Can some screener or headscreener alert the airliners crew to correct this bug?

Regards

Bustin

vikkyvik

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Quoting bustin (Reply 21):

There is currently a bug where not all photos are being displayed. I can't see your latest photos. Nevertheless, the developers are aware and are working on the problem, so I'd say just wait until they're done and see if your issue is corrected.