Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bricejohnson
Topic Author

Good Enough For A. Net?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 am

Hello Everyone!

I have put some of my best/recent aviation photos up on my website.

I was wondering if these images are good enough for airliners.net? I have struggled to get images accepted here.

http://www.image120.com/aviation

I am open to constructive criticism, and really appreciate any advice you may have for me.  

Thanks!

Calvin

dlowwa

RE: Good Enough For A. Net?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:31 am

Unfortunately I don't see anything there that would meet the standards for acceptance here.

You should also perhaps take a look at the rejection guide, as some of the images have issues that would cause automatic rejections (size, color).

Rejection Guide

Joshu

Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:19 am

Nearly all of them seem dark and grainy.

bricejohnson
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:58 am

Oh, ok. What are the ones that may have some hope?

Calvin

henkita217

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 am

Hi Calvin,

A good starter would be, shooting with the sun behind you, which means the sun lit the whole plane/subject. I'll let you figure out how many of those in your collection are within that golden rule.

Back lit photos are doable with a good motive, but since you are starting out, I think following what I said above would be most helpful.

Cheers,
HB

bricejohnson
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks for the advice HB.

I would appreciate any more comments coming from the pros!

Thanks,

Calvin

DL747

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:56 am

Quoting BriceJohnson (Reply 3):
Oh, ok. What are the ones that may have some hope?

To be quite honest, not many, if any at all. Most are backlit. The KE 777 would have been workable, but the gear is blocked, so that will get a motive rejection. Most of your pics don't look too bad, but I lighting is a major issue.

bricejohnson
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 am

Thanks to DL747 for the pointers.

Does anyone think that these images will get accepted to A.net?

They are in the queue right now.

http://www.image120.com/aviation/h5c1814dc#h5c1814dc

http://www.image120.com/aviation/h5c1814f6#h5c1814f6

Thanks,

Calvin

DL747

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 am

Quoting BriceJohnson (Reply 7):

First off, sorry about my last post. I think I sounded a bit snippy.   They would be consdiered double. One will need to be deleted. As Dana suggested, please read the rejection guide and familiarize yourself with the upload guidelines. I would go with #1, which appears to be a bit dark, soft toward the nose, but verging on oversharpened elsewhere, it also appears to be just a bit flat and have a bit of a yellow cast, although that could be the grass doing that.

John

bricejohnson
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 am

Ok.

Thanks for the advice John. I guess that getting photos accepted to A.net requires alot of image editing in Photoshop.

Am I correct in saying that?

For everyone one else: please give some comments on these aviation photos on my site. Thanks!  www.image120.com/aviation

Is my only issue lighting? What could I improve on? Does it lie with positioning at the airport & camera settings, or with editing in Photoshop?

Thanks, and all the best,

Calvin

DL747

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 am

Quoting BriceJohnson (Reply 9):
I guess that getting photos accepted to A.net requires alot of image editing in Photoshop.

Well, yes and no. A good photo in good light shouldn't need that much work, but challenging light, etc can amke that more difficult. Unless they have a good motive (your images do not) backlit images will not work here. Backlighting is quite basic and cannot be fixed in PS. Look at where the sun is and get it at your back. Simple. Your images are not that far off, but need to be not backlit.

dlowwa

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:12 am

Quoting BriceJohnson (Reply 7):

They are in the queue right now.

These would be considered double. Please remove one of them from the queue.

I guess that getting photos accepted to A.net requires alot of image editing in Photoshop.
or with editing in Photoshop?

You have asked this question several times before in different threads, and received the same answer. If the image is high quality coming out of the camera, you will not need to do much editing.

I'll try one more time, as I've also mentioned this to you several times before: the problem does not lie with your camera or your editing. The problem is you seem to lack an idea of the basic techniques required for a.net's type of aviation photography. This is made worse by the fact that you don't seem to listen when people tell you this, and keep repeating the same questions multiple times in new threads. The answer is not going to change, and no magic editing program or expensive camera is going to help you if you don't grasp some of the basic techniques.

bricejohnson
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Ok. Thanks for the responses. I will start with my positioning at YVR, and photo technique.

Can you please give me some good spots where back lighting is not an issue, Dana?

Best,

Calvin

Kaphias

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 pm

Quoting BriceJohnson (Reply 12):
Can you please give me some good spots where back lighting is not an issue, Dana?

You can use a tool such as http://suncalc.net/ to determine appropriate spots at different times of day. Alternatively... go out to the airport and walk around until the planes are directly in front of you and the sun is burning into your back.

dlowwa

Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:36 am

Quoting BriceJohnson (Reply 12):

Take a look at the images from YVR already on the db. You'll see most were taken from one of three locations: Templeton St., the Avis lot, or from the South Terminal. As the runways at YVR run in a general east-west direction, that means for most of the year you will need to be looking north, as these three locations do. I see about half of your images were taken from the north side or 26R/08L, but because this means you are looking south, you will get terrible light for nine months of the year. The only time I bother shooting from that side is from May-July. The rest of the year, everything will always be backlit. Stick to Templeton/South Terminal, and you will find that light won't be as much of an issue.

If you see me out there shooting, feel free to ask any questions.