Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fmgirard
Topic Author

Rejection Reason Question

Fri May 02, 2014 12:28 am

I submitted the following photo and one of the rejection reasons was "void of color an unwelcome editing," as well as a few other reasons. Does anyone know what that specifically means?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7431/13815852964_fcccd94817_b.jpgAir China 747-400 @ SFO by thediamondguest, on Flickr

TIA
UA GS | DL Diamond | This post represents my personal opinion and not that of my employer, Airbus, a division of EADS

mjgbtv

RE: Rejection Reason Question

Fri May 02, 2014 1:04 am

'void of color' might mean that it looks a bit under-saturated.

The background seems unnaturally blurry. If that was done in post-processing it would be 'unwelcome'=not allowed.

fmgirard
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 1:13 am

Ok, that makes more sense. As for the background, I didn't realize it was blurry until I opened the image in Photoshop, to which I kept it blurry.

Is that ok?
UA GS | DL Diamond | This post represents my personal opinion and not that of my employer, Airbus, a division of EADS

vikkyvik

Fri May 02, 2014 1:23 am

Quoting mjgbtv (Reply 1):
The background seems unnaturally blurry.

It does indeed.

Quoting fmgirard (Reply 2):
As for the background, I didn't realize it was blurry until I opened the image in Photoshop, to which I kept it blurry.

Theoretically, there's nothing wrong with a blurred background. But as Marty noted, it looks very strange in your image, as the foreground and aircraft are all sharp.

Although I will note that the aircraft tail is partially blurry as well, so the image would be rejected for that.

Very weird - any idea where that all came from?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

fmgirard
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 2:38 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 3):

I'm not sure where the blurriness came from, but I suspect that it has to do with the depth-of-field on the camera. The image was taken from the United Club, in the International Terminal @ SFO as well, if that could have something to do with it as well.

vikkyvik

Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 am

Quoting fmgirard (Reply 4):
I'm not sure where the blurriness came from, but I suspect that it has to do with the depth-of-field on the camera. The image was taken from the United Club, in the International Terminal @ SFO as well, if that could have something to do with it as well.

Doubtful it's DOF - the airplane is sufficiently distant that even wide open, I'd expect the background to be relatively sharp. And given the tail suffers from blur/softness too, I think it's more likely caused by the windows you were shooting through.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

mjgbtv

Fri May 02, 2014 12:19 pm

It seems to be about the top 40% of the image. Do the windows have a shading material on them?

fmgirard
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 3:52 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 5):
Quoting mjgbtv (Reply 6):

The windows do have a dimming tint to them, as well as anti-reflective coating on the outside.

Would this cause an automatic rejection?

fmgirard
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 3:54 pm

This is another picture taken at nearly the same time as the other one:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3796/13815227773_f81204a6e3_b.jpgUnited Airlines 757-200 @ LAX by thediamondguest, on Flickr

vikkyvik

Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Quoting fmgirard (Reply 8):
This is another picture taken at nearly the same time as the other one:

What lens are you using? Almost looks like that tilt-shift toy-looking effect.

Quoting fmgirard (Reply 7):

Would this cause an automatic rejection?

Shooting through a window doesn't cause an automatic rejection, but the artifacts/effects produced by said window (dirt spots, streaks, reflections, bad contrast, bad colors, softness, etc.) can cause a rejection.

fmgirard
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):

I was using an 18-55 Nikkor attached to a D3000.

epten

Sat May 03, 2014 6:15 pm

The blurriness is definitely NOT DOF. It certainly looks "artificial". Perhaps there's a feature somewhere which is unintentionally "on"??