GuitrThree
Topic Author

Post- Off Center And Low

Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Got this rejected for off center, low, and soft. We won't discuss soft, unless you want to comment, but the low and off center I don't get and is the purpose of the inquiry. The shot was intentionally low, NOTED SO in the comments to the screener, to get both aircraft, the tower, the new building, and the construction crane without cutting anything off.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20140726_m1405639958.7015img_7405.jpg

Exactly as I type this on the top 5 views shots on the home page there is one CLEARLY off center (29000) to capture the other aircraft entirely, 82002:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bruno Bevivino - Roma Spotters Club

And another that is CLEARLY low in frame to once again, capture the other aircraft.

View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark H

If I can get a screener to comment on why some off center and low (and high I'm sure) pass the test but others don't. I have a few others intentionally low as to not cut the tower. To properly center the aircraft the tower would need to be cut off at the windows and I personally think that just looks odd compared to a bigger overview of the entire shot. Also, in the following picture, "Arizona" can be found all over the place, being shot in front of the tower makes it a little different than all the rest.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/r1405861291.5021img_7426.jpg

[Edited 2014-07-27 10:25:39]

[Edited 2014-07-27 10:27:09]
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

dazbo5

RE: Post- Off Center And Low

Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Thread starter):
why some off center and low (and high I'm sure) pass the test but others don't.

It's all about composition. If the composition works with an aircraft off-centre, it'll be accepted. Personally, I'm surprised the AF1 was accepted as my first impression was it's too high in the frame. I've had shots rejected for being too high in frame similar to that. The One world works with the UA aircraft departing in the background, the composition works. In my opinion, your US photo is too low in the frame as there's nothing high in the frame to warrant it being that low. If you crop closer to the top around where the top of the ATC tower is, it'll probably work as there's too much dead space as it is. I don't understand centre, other than it being low in the frame. The A330 is centred correctly, it just needs to be higher.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

alevik

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:08 pm

I actually rejected that image during screening. You can off centre composition when it makes sense of course. In your image, you have more space above the top of the tower than the example you linked, so moving the composition higher in the frame will reduce the dead space at top of the frame.

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 1):
Personally, I'm surprised the AF1 was accepted as my first impression was it's too high in the frame.

It is too high in the frame for me also, I would have rejected that one for centre.

Pete
Improvise, adapt, overcome.

GuitrThree
Topic Author

Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Pete,
thank you for your input. It's really a nice surprise to hear from the person who rejected it. Thank you for that.

Both you and a nonscreener mentioned the same issue, so I might try it again down the road with a tighter crop or higher framing. I do see the large gap now and agree.

I personally like the AF1 picture as it gives a unique angle shot. Just to be sure, I wasn't arguing they should not be accepted, I like them both. And being that the both made top 5, I'm thinking most other people agree.

I'm working on trying to do unique shots besides just one aircraft, centered on the runway or in the sky. Not always possible, but like I said earlier that's what makes them different and stand out.

Glen
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

mjgbtv

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Quoting dazbo5 (Reply 1):
I don't understand centre, other than it being low in the frame. The A330 is centred correctly, it just needs to be higher.

I am thinking that Centered is the rejection reason and 'low' is a personal comment, so vertical centering was the only issue.

vikkyvik

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Quoting mjgbtv (Reply 4):
I am thinking that Centered is the rejection reason and 'low' is a personal comment, so vertical centering was the only issue.

"Centered" is the rejection reason used for high in frame and low in frame, and can also be used for too much space on the right or left (though "Distance" works there too).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

alevik

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:57 pm

The full personal comment was "Low in frame", and the two rejection reasons were soft and center. I try not to use ambiguous personal comments to avoid confusion. In this case, the personal and rejection reasons I think should have eliminated any confusion.

Pete
Improvise, adapt, overcome.