len90

RE: Pre-Screening, RAW Experimentation At FSM

Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Quoting kann123air (Reply 49):
Came home from an exhausting first day of junior year (6 AP classes) and saw both of these responses with the good news. Thanks guys!

All I can say is I would do anything to be back in High School right now. Currently back in second year post-grad. No more summer breaks for me and free time for spotting is just getting less and less.
Len90

kann123air
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:49 pm

Quoting len90 (Reply 50):
All I can say is I would do anything to be back in High School right now. Currently back in second year post-grad. No more summer breaks for me and free time for spotting is just getting less and less.

Haha wow. Sounds fun!  

This one got rejected today for "barbed wire in lower grass distracting, seems dirty motive personal".

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14643030250/sizes/o/

I don't really know what to make of this one... For one, I can't really find the supposed "barbed wire in lower grass". Maybe it's the out-of-focus black-and-white pattern on the way bottom of the photo? Even if it is, does that constitute a rejection?

I equalized it on photoshop and did indeed find some 'stuff' in the sky. However, I don't think they're dust spots, rather just distant and faint clouds. Might be wrong though.

Any input would be appreciated!  

Thank you!
Amrit
Going for great

mjgbtv

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Quoting kann123air (Reply 51):
This one got rejected today for "barbed wire in lower grass distracting, seems dirty motive personal".

There is a series of darker spots which might be the points of very out of focus barbed wire. It looks unusual but I think you could easily find many images with more distracting objects in the foreground. I think 'seems dirty' is a clarification of the motive rejection, not a Dirty rejection as in dust. I would be inclined to appeal this one.

kann123air
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:22 pm

Thanks Marty.   I was thinking the same. Will appeal.
Going for great

len90

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:42 am

Screener being a bit harsh on that. There could be out of focus fence remnants in the lower part of an image but IMO that is not a sole reason to reject. Had there been something else wrong, I could see the screener adding that comment as some advice though. I would get an appeal on it.
Len90

kann123air
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi guys,

Appealed and rejected again, with the message "Motive removed but it is dirty top right".

At least motive was removed, haha. How is it dirty though? When equalized, I do see 'stuff' on the top right in the sky, but I really don't think they're dust spots... Just a part of the photo. I might be wrong though.

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14643030250/sizes/o/

Thanks!  
Amrit
Going for great

mjgbtv

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:57 am

Quoting kann123air (Reply 55):
How is it dirty though? When equalized, I do see 'stuff' on the top right in the sky, but I really don't think they're dust spots... Just a part of the photo. I might be wrong though.

To me it looks like the blotchiness that I sometimes get in the sky from noise reduction. Did you do any NR on the image? I guess I would see how it looks on the original and if it is not there then run through your edit workflow to see where it came from and if it can be avoided. It's really not that evident to me without equalizing, but this type of thing seems to depend on the monitor.

kann123air
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:24 pm

Will re-edit and post in a little bit. Thanks Marty!  
Going for great

kann123air
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi guys,

This one got rejected for grain. Again, I'm a bit stumped as to how this is grainy...

www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejectio...x1407943122.6443n8543fpsusmraw.jpg

Thanks again,
Amrit
Going for great