AMDX1325
Topic Author

Post-Screening Seeking Some Critiques

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:48 am

So two of my entries (my first two on this site) were rejected.

This one was rejected for being: high in frame / bad quality / grainy / not centered / wrong category / personal
Link: https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...140805_z1406563878.267dsc_0454.jpg
Comment:
I think the framing is just right, if you roughly measure the plane nose, its around the same distance from top and bottom of the frame. I took this with a D800, quality is not an issue. It is also not grainy, I don't know what kind of monitors they're viewing the file but on my 27inch Samsung LED it doesn't look grainy to me. I submitted it as airport category, which I think is reasonable given lots of airport is captured in the shot, from the gate, luggage haulers, and catering trucks, all showing an airport. And I don't know what personal mean? Do they mean the driver of the tractor? He's not looking into the camera, which is allowed I think.

This one was rejected for being: bad quality / blurry / wrong distance / wrong info / not centered
Link: https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...40805_i1406564896.9956dsc01611.jpg
Okay I admit its a bit blurry, but its because of my ancient 70-300 lens. Perhaps the crop could have been greater as the rejection stated. However, Info should be correct as it IS the Flying Blue Angel No.1, I just can't locate the registration anywhere on the shots I had of the plane, they're not visible like commercial jets.

So what do you guys think? Any tips and/or critiques are welcomed!

[Edited 2014-08-06 20:56:54]

kann123air

RE: Post-Screening Seeking Some Critiques

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:09 am

Quoting AMDX1325 (Thread starter):
I think the framing is just right, if you roughly measure the plane nose, its around the same distance from top and bottom of the frame.

Top and bottom, but left to right?

I took this with a D800, quality is not an issue.

Just because it's taken with a good DSLR doesn't mean quality won't be an issue. Actually, the quality of the aircraft is in fact quite poor.

quote=AMDX1325,reply=0]doesn't look grainy to me.[/quote]

I have a 29 inch samsung monitor. Sky is a bit grainy. Not something NR on PS can't fix though.

I submitted it as airport category, which I think is reasonable given lots of airport is captured in the shot, from the gate, luggage haulers, and catering trucks, all showing an airport.

The airport category is meant for overviews, if I'm not mistaken. I might be wrong on that one, though.

And I don't know what personal mean?

That means the screener added a personal note. It doesn't mean anything about the shot itself.

Okay I admit its a bit blurry, but its because of my ancient 70-300 lens.

This site doens't accept anything that is even marginally blurry... Very strict standards that I've been a victim of also.  

Also, I'd upload at a smaller size to begin with, perhaps 1024 would be nice.

Not a bad start though! This place takes patience... But it'll all pay off soon!   Keep up the good work!!
Going for great

AMDX1325
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:14 am

Thanks for the critique! I greatly appreciate it!

I take it the quality mentioned here is not picture quality (how well exposed, focused, etc) but the quality of the subject. In this case I guess the plane is just sitting at the gate, its not interesting enough in that regards is it? I guess the screener found it being loaded with catering food isn't exciting as a plane in motion. Which I guess I can understand. I'll work harder!

DL747

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:39 am

Hi,

Overall, I echo Amrit's comments. I would start off at 1024, not 1600. The second cannot be fixed, it is simply way too blurry. However, you are off to a decent start. A bit more work, and I think you should have some acceptable images next time you go out spotting.

Quoting AMDX1325 (Reply 2):
I take it the quality mentioned here is not picture quality (how well exposed, focused, etc) but the quality of the subject. In this case I guess the plane is just sitting at the gate, its not interesting enough in that regards is it? I guess the screener found it being loaded with catering food isn't exciting as a plane in motion. Which I guess I can understand. I'll work harder!

No. The quality is intended to state that the picture might be too far off to be acceptable, even with further editing. There will never be a rejection because "something is not interesting enough."

Regards,

John
Hey, thanks for stopping by! My photos can be found here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=17 ... lay=detail

vikkyvik

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:12 am

Here's pretty much the deal (and I think every new uploader should understand this, not just you):

Airliners.net likes images a certain way, with certain framing, and certain quality standards. If you're new to it, it can take some time and experience to get used to it. The most common thing I see among new uploaders is taking shots directly out of the camera, resizing to 1600, and uploading. That's typically not a route to success here, even among experienced uploaders.

Generally, A.net likes the subject of the image (the airplane, usually) to feel centered horizontally and vertically and cropped relatively closely, to be free of obstructions, to be bright with good contrast, to be very sharp (and obviously free of blur), to be free of any color casts, to have very little visible grain/noise, to be level based on prominent verticals or the horizon, to be free of dust spots, and to not have any selective editing except for sharpening and cloning out of dust spots.

Now, with all that said, there are exceptions made to all of that stuff now and then, but there has to be a good reason - so the photo has to be very unique or stunning in some way. But as with most things in life, I'd recommend learning the basics of uploading here before looking to push the envelope.

For more detail than I can possibly type, see here (worth a read):

https://www.airliners.net/faq/rejection_reasons.php

Now, with all that said, the most important point is to have fun.  
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

mjgbtv

Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:49 am

Was Motive not included as a rejection reason for the first image? I think that this would be rejected because of the equipment blocking parts of the engines.

If the primary subject is a single aircraft then I do not think that 'Airport overview' should ever be selected.

AMDX1325
Topic Author

Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 4):
Generally, A.net likes the subject of the image (the airplane, usually) to feel centered horizontally and vertically and cropped relatively closely, to be free of obstructions, to be bright with good contrast, to be very sharp (and obviously free of blur), to be free of any color casts, to have very little visible grain/noise, to be level based on prominent verticals or the horizon, to be free of dust spots, and to not have any selective editing except for sharpening and cloning out of dust spots.

Thank you for your explanation! So in essence that's the quality Airliners.net is looking for a specific type of qualities. Now that the objective is clear, thank you!

[Edited 2014-08-07 06:12:56]

737guy

Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Another good way to gauge what quality and standards are sought for this site is to look at the pictures on here. Thats what I did and lets face it, it's fun to look at pictures 'cause thats why we want pictures on here anyways!
Mitchell Haughee