A388
Topic Author

Tailshot Rejection

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Hello All,

I got below tail shot rejection with the added screener remark "needs to be cropped much tighter around tails in order to work, a bit too red". How should I crop this photo differently? Is it really that badly cropped? About the red color, the photo was taken in the late afternoon which causes that red effect, is this really a problem?

The rejected photo:

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...06638232.495avtailrccur280714a.jpg

Best regards,

A388

baldwin8

RE: Tailshot Rejection

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 pm

I would reduce the distance from the elevators of the left aircraft to the edge of the image to about 1/3 of which you have while keeping the right side maybe to the edge of the door of the aircraft on the right side.

The colours are really a personnal choice for many. Just reduce the red slightly, but mention it in the remarks to the screener when you re submit it. Sometimes I find colour casts are easier to see in the ramp pavement.

mohammedzaheer

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:40 pm

Quoting A388 (Thread starter):
How should I crop this photo differently? Is it really that badly cropped?

It isn't bad however try filling the gap on the left to cut out the dead space.

Quoting A388 (Thread starter):
About the red color, the photo was taken in the late afternoon which causes that red effect, is this really a problem?

You may want to check the settings on your camera for white balance. Sometimes you will get the odd tint and need to correct it later when editing.

This is from the rejection guide:

There was a problem with the color in your photo(s).

This may be due to one of two reasons:

Your photo has a strong color cast that makes the photos look too red/blue/yellow etc.
Your photo is saturated too little or too much. Over saturating is more common and causes colors to become very strong, almost neon like.

If you are using a digital camera, the incorrect colors can be a result of an improper setting of the white balance in your camera. A common cause of a color rejection is an incorrect white balance in night shots. If your night photo looks very orange than please adjust your white balance so you get an image that is bluer.

Other color casts can usually be corrected using the color balance sliders in Photoshop or other image editing software.

If the image is a scan of a photo or slide, the please check your scanner settings to ensure you are using 16-bit colors or higher. You might also experience problems with poor colors if you use a too high compression level when saving your scanned jpeg files. You should also have your monitor and video card properly set up for 24 bit color or higher (usually called "true color"). Windows users can easily check this by right clicking on the desktop and looking in display settings

https://www.airliners.net/faq/rejection_reasons.php
View the photos by Mohammed Zaheer on Airliners.net!

monsoon84

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi,

I would crop the photo as close as possible to the 787's tail. There is some dead space to the left of it. As for the red cast maybe mention it was taken in the late afternoon and the cast is a result of that when uploading.

Regards,
Kenny

len90

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Have to agree with Kenny. I personally would not touch the cast but rather mention in the comments to screeners that it was taken late afternoon and picture is true to the lighting at the time. Clean out the dead space on the side and maintain the ratio by cleaning some off the top and bottom.

Had this been solely a color rejection, an appeal would have been worth a shot.
Len90

vikkyvik

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:36 pm

I would crop it something like this (note that I did this quickly in Paint, so I don't know if the aspect ratio is correct...and actually, I'd probably crop a bit looser on the left than I did):

The photo also looks like it needs a bit of CW to my eyes.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

len90

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:20 am

Vik, think you are correct. Just drew some quick lines and looks to be about 0.25 or so needed CW.
Len90

A388
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Great thanks for all the very useful tips my friends. I will re-work the photo and ask for opinions again later.

Best regards,

A388

A388
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 pm

monsoon84

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:14 am

I think it looks good; I'd throw it in the queue!

Regards,
Kenny

ghajdufi
Crew

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:00 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 8):
Better now?

I'm OK with the composition but would like to see it sharper.
Your photos are like your children, you will always find them perfect.

len90

Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:03 am

Quoting ghajdufi (Reply 10):
would like to see it sharper.

On my display, any sharper would make it look too jagged. I personally feel sharpness is fine as is. However, HGabor is a screener and I'm not.
Len90

ghajdufi
Crew

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:24 am

checked again, the dreamliner's tail looks soft. The TUI logo is fine though. Could be passable though, just wanted to give feedback.
Your photos are like your children, you will always find them perfect.

vikkyvik

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:51 am

Quoting ghajdufi (Reply 12):
checked again, the dreamliner's tail looks soft. The TUI logo is fine though.

I agree, the 787 does look a bit soft, with the exception of the logo.

The near airplane is fine.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

len90

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Okay that makes sense then. I was judging mostly on the near airplane as I figured that should be the sharpest and most in focus for the shot. I guess the OP could selectively sharpen the 787.
Len90