Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

angad84
Topic Author

Pre/post Screening

Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi guys. The old thread was getting old, so I decided to make a new one.

Just got back from a trip to INS Rajali, home to Indian Navy patrol aircraft. It's in south India, where the weather is very hot and humid, making for some rather challenging conditions - particularly haze when shooting at longer focal lengths (200-400mm)

Anyway, I thought I'd start off with a pre-screen of this shot:

http://i5.minus.com/iuEJ02ll9gLk3.jpg

(ignore the watermarks, I just caught a bunch of my minus-hosted images from my feedback threads being hosted on a bunch of blogs and facebook pages)

Cheers
Angad

kulverstukas

RE: Pre/post Screening

Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:34 pm

Very nice. Bit soft at nose may be.

vikkyvik

Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Maybe some heat haze / oversharpening. Might want to try a smaller size.

angad84
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks guys. Does the leveling feel ok?

Kulverstukas - I think I'll go with Vik's advice and downsize. It did feel a bit borderline to me at this size. I have another one in the queue at 1400px to satisy my "big picture" urges 

Vik - I'll go with a smaller upload in that case, thanks.

Cheers
Angad

rgrand

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 am

A little help if you please. This was rejected for "Low contrast. Soft Contrast." I'm not seeing it

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...41018_s1413056432.3968spiritlr.jpg

kann123air

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:33 am

Quoting rgrand (Reply 4):
A little help if you please. This was rejected for "Low contrast. Soft Contrast." I'm not seeing it

It'd be great if you could start your own thread...  

As for the photo, I agree with both those reasons.

vikkyvik

Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Quoting angad84 (Reply 3):
Thanks guys. Does the leveling feel ok?

Maybe a bit of CW if anything, but tough to tell.

angad84
Topic Author

Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 6):
Maybe a bit of CW if anything, but tough to tell.

I've given it the tiniest bit of CW and put it in. Now we wait and see...

Thanks again.

Cheers
Angad

ghajdufi

Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Quoting rgrand (Reply 4):

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/r...41018_s1413056432.3968spiritlr.jpg

Not sharp, weak blacks.

now back to Angad  

angad84
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 am

Thanks for the advice on the P-8I landing shot guys, it got accepted yesterday.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Angad Singh - Zone Five Aviation

Now I've been struggling a bit with this one, which is a little unusual, as I thought it was rather straightforward.

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/APPEAL_20141027_k1414065864.70761400px-3196-in314-23oct.jpg

It has been shown the door twice, for "blurry" and "soft" with personal messages suggesting a smaller size.

I won't get into the size discussion - I like it at 1400px, and I'm going to keep trying at this size. But the blurry rejection makes no sense. The aircraft was not moving (just returned from a flight, so standing still for a while before shutdown) and I was crouched and quite steady, not to mention the stabilisation on the Canon 70-200L lenses is stupidly good.

I shot this on a 7D with a 70-200 f/4L IS and it's only very lightly cropped. I stopped down to f/14 so I could slow the shutter, and I assume diffraction is the cause of my sharpness problems. But the blurry rejection?

After the second rejection (this morning) I appealed it, thinking I had a pretty strong case but nope, it came back with soft removed and only blurry still remaining as a reason!

Someone please tell me I'm not going loopy.

Cheers
Angad

mjgbtv

Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:10 am

Quoting angad84 (Reply 9):
Someone please tell me I'm not going loopy.

I don't think so. The small details look nice and sharp. All I can think is that the low contrast between the aircraft and the sky is making it look soft. I have seen plenty of images come through this forum for the same reason.

angad84
Topic Author

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:44 am

Quoting mjgbtv (Reply 10):
I don't think so.

Good to know!

Quoting mjgbtv (Reply 10):
All I can think is that the low contrast between the aircraft and the sky is making it look soft. I have seen plenty of images come through this forum for the same reason.

Hm. Good point on contrast. I did a re-edit from the ground up, added some more sharpening and a tiny bit more contrast.

This is what's in the queue now, hope it works the third time!

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/s1414748469.73271400px-3196-in314-31oct-2.jpg

Cheers
Angad

Tonyholt777

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:48 pm

hi angad

just viewing this on my ipad air - can see what you have done on the contrast and sharpening around the re-edit.

seems the flat sky is not helping pop the 2d image effect. quality seems a tad off.

fwiw i have found canon metering can really kick back in these situations based on taking the reading around the focus point, just a thought.
hope it helps
tony

gonzalu
Screener

Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Angad,

What I would give to see one and photograph in person. LOVE the shot. Tough light. I don't see major issues with it but with critical eyes, it may still get some challenges.

To me, the sky quality is marginal and also feels like it could still use some more contrast. Take a look at the Histogram and see the right side on each channel. And it is big. Have you tried it at 1200? or even smaller?

Pay attention to the sky on the right side of the frame. It has some differences from the rest of the sky. There is also a sharp transition in the sky just as it is about to touch the fuselage and the area beneath the wings looks a lot better quality wise than the top part of the sky.

As for the upload size, remember that the site compresses JPGs to death. You don;t do yourself any favors uploading at anything above 1200px ... compare your uploaded shot to the one on your computer. I bet the quality is a lot different.

Regards,
manny

angad84
Topic Author

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Quoting gonzalu (Reply 13):
What I would give to see one and photograph in person. LOVE the shot.

Much appreciated Manny, thanks.

Quoting gonzalu (Reply 13):
I don't see major issues with it but with critical eyes, it may still get some challenges.

Well that's heartening (the lack of major issues). The possibility for small things to trip up a shot is always there  

I like large shots in the DB - both seeing them from others and uploading myself. I have a pretty good internal ability to judge when a shot has the quality for high-res, which is why most of my own uploads are 1200px, with only a small handful at 1400-1600px. From a pure megapixel standpoint, this shot definitely has what it takes to make it at high-res (>16MP) it's the other editing issues that are proving problematic. If I exhaust all options at 1400px, I will accept defeat and upload at 1200px, but not before! :p

Cheers
Angad