Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

waketurbulence
Topic Author

Post Screening - WakeT

Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Could someone point out where this is over sharpened? It was also rejected for Common, which I understand raises the bar for these sorts of things, but I am failing to see jaggies. Thanks.
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20150224_d1424291787.1664mattw-10-13-11-g-vast-1800-1.jpg
-Matt

kann123air

RE: Post Screening - WakeT

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 pm

Maybe the back part of the tail? There seem to be a small bit of jaggies on the back edge of the rudder, as well as the "ST" on top of the tail.

Amrit

waketurbulence
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:13 am

Frustrating to say the least. Now it's been rejected for blurry, over sharpened, and common. It was screened 3 separate times and blurry was mentioned the only this last time. I don't understand the lack of consistency here. Some screener input here would be much appreciated.

This version was sharpened in LR with slight capture sharpening and then in PS at 25% and 0.3 radius. There is hardly any sharpening applied compared to many of my other photos.
https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20150318_a1425944785.8608mattw-10-13-2011-g-vast-1800-2-25.jpg
-Matt

YQZ380

Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:20 am

I don't think it's blurry, looking at the lamp below the APU and the lamp below the horizontal stabilizer. The registration seems a little soft, but that may be just my eyes. The nose outline seems a tad oversharpened to me.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Yang Qize

P.S. What are the little streaks of light (not so sure what those are) above the rear end of the aircraft?

vikkyvik

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting waketurbulence (Reply 2):
Now it's been rejected for blurry, over sharpened, and common.

Hmmm. I don't find it blurry at all.

I dunno if people are looking at the main gear, which is clearly affected by jetblast.

Your first edit did look a bit oversharpened on the wings/flaps and such. Second edit doesn't look much different to me, sharpening-wise.

waketurbulence
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Quoting YQZ380 (Reply 3):
P.S. What are the little streaks of light (not so sure what those are) above the rear end of the aircraft?

I believe they are the spars or ribs that are under the skin of the tail being picked up by just the right angle of sunlight.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 4):
Your first edit did look a bit oversharpened on the wings/flaps and such. Second edit doesn't look much different to me, sharpening-wise.

It was shot with the 500mm f/4 which is super sharp. The first rejection in this thread, I applied smart sharpening at 50% and 0.3 radius, the newest I applied 25% at 0.3 radius. I guess I can sharpen at 25% again, and mask or erase even more areas, but I am very hesitant due to blurry on the 3rd attempt.
-Matt

alevik

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't see that it is blurry, but it seems soft particularly the nose and wingtip, and sharpening is either too much or not enough. I like the light though, so I would probably HQ it and ask for another screener's opinion if I got it in screening.

Pete

waketurbulence
Topic Author

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:32 pm

Thanks all for the comments. If I come up with a re-edit I'll post it here.
-Matt

FlapsFull

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:53 pm

I really like your picture, the combination of the VS livery with the light and the golden Mandalay Bay in the background is very nice. For me, the second image looks a bit blurry compared to the first one, but the first one isn't oversharped I would say. The amount of jaggies on the tail are negligible compared to what accepted jagged pictures (even common ones) I've seen on A.net.
Good luck for getting it accepted!  

Greetings,
Maximilian

Bogac

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:09 pm

I might be wrong but I see jaggies in both images on the beginning section of the second deck, around the "Atlantic".
Nice shot though.