Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

angad84
Topic Author

Post-screening Help

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:06 am

Hello folks,

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/rejections/big/20151116_b1447008482.81331400px-5142-5504-9nov.jpg

This just got kicked back with an editing rejection and a personal message: "shooting in to the sun, but no shadows on the front of the plane, looks totally ridiculous. Warning issued"

Is it really "ridiculous"?

I haven't lifted shadows much at all - less than many of my other accepted images to be honest. In any case, the screener is wrong about the sun - it was off to the right by the time the P-1 taxied out. Not that the sun matters at all, because anyone who was there (there are lots of pictures in the DB from the 15th) will tell you the sun was basically not even a factor that day.

Plus, when an aircraft is so close to the ground, the light reflecting from the tarmac does a pretty good job lifting the shadows naturally.

The last time this shot was rejected, it was for "Overexposed, soft, grainy"

http://i.imgur.com/ddvfu3v.jpg

So when I re-edited it, you can bet I wasn't brightening the shadows!

I have another pic in the DB, similar motive, shot a little earlier in the day, that was edited more or less the same way:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Angad Singh

Again, the shadows are typical of a heavily overcast day.

Thoughts?

Cheers
A

kulverstukas

RE: Post-screening Help

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:35 am

Screener seems puzzled with lack of any shadow region - no shadow on the ground (but it seems even if it is - at such bright overcast, when light seems shine from everywhere - it will be not seen at such angle), no shadows on the underside of the plane (at CASA there is shadows at least at the underside of gears cowlings) but it's because of reflective paint I think.
I'm no expert on appeal process, but if there is no other reasons I think it's makes sense to appeal with explanation. On the other hand shoot is technically not perfect (for me seems lack of contrast and bit OS) and appeal can lead to rejection with bouquet of reasons  

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:01 am

Quoting angad84 (Thread starter):
Is it really "ridiculous"?

No.

Does it look like you lifted the shadows a bit much? Yes, but it's nowhere near the worst I've seen.

Does it look like you were shooting into the sun? No.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

angad84
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:35 am

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 1):
but it's because of reflective paint I think.

That, and the fact that it's taxiing over bright white runway threshold markings. White surfaces reflect the most light, so...

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 1):
I'm no expert on appeal process, but if there is no other reasons I think it's makes sense to appeal with explanation. On the other hand shoot is technically not perfect (for me seems lack of contrast and bit OS) and appeal can lead to rejection with bouquet of reasons

I'd prefer rejection reasons that I can take action on, instead of one that is, well, wrong.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):
No.

Does it look like you lifted the shadows a bit much? Yes, but it's nowhere near the worst I've seen.

Does it look like you were shooting into the sun? No.

So should I appeal?

Cheers
A

clickhappy

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:31 pm

I rejected it. Let's see the original. I would be happy to add it for you if I am wrong.

The CASA looks overworked as well.

angad84
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 4):
The CASA looks overworked as well.

Fair enough, at least that's consistent. My point was more "why one and not the other."

Here's the unedited original, only resized down to the same size as the rejected one:

http://i.imgur.com/2xCJmu3.jpg

And for one, here's the CASA:

http://i.imgur.com/JTyYZa7.jpg

Cheers
A

scbriml

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Quoting angad84 (Reply 5):
Here's the unedited original, only resized down to the same size as the rejected one:

Looks like a fairly typical RIAT day - flat, grey overcast. Oh yes, I was there!   

Certainly not shot against the sun.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

clickhappy

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Angad - Given how washed out the originals are (not sure why?) I can see you really have to crank up the contrast to get them accepted. That said, it really doesn't break any rules, it just looks...odd. Please re-add your photo and shoot me an email at the Priority Screening address, and we can add it. Or, you can take your chances with an appeal. Your choice.

angad84
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:45 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 6):
Looks like a fairly typical RIAT day - flat, grey overcast. Oh yes, I was there!

Wish I'd known, I'd love to have been able to say hi! Maybe next summer.

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 7):

As Steve said, typical RIAT day! Thanks for understanding, and I've sent you an email.

Cheers
A

clickhappy

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:43 pm

I see your image has made the front page. How do you get every image of yours on the front page? Is it just the hits you get from linking them in Reddit, or do you link them from others sites as well?

angad84
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:44 am

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 9):
I see your image has made the front page. How do you get every image of yours on the front page? Is it just the hits you get from linking them in Reddit, or do you link them from others sites as well?

Not all  

I just put them on the social media sites I use - Twitter/FB/Reddit. Sometimes they take off, sometimes not. I would imagine an a.net crew member such as yourself would know best where the most hits are coming from, I don't.

Cheers
A

kulverstukas

Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:53 am

I can suggest that reddit can boost only some kind of photos, not any. For me, for example, posting civil planes at reddit doesn't boost views.

angad84
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:19 am

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 11):
I can suggest that reddit can boost only some kind of photos, not any. For me, for example, posting civil planes at reddit doesn't boost views.

Yeah, different people on different sites like to see different stuff. I shoot almost exclusively military, so for me the variations are less pronounced, but I have noticed that people on facebook and reddit seem to prefer fighters over, say, transports and helicopters.

Cheers
A

clickhappy

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:33 pm

Judging by your hit counts, and comparing them to the same looks as uploaded by other photogs, I would say it is the majority, if not all, your shots.

Personally I don't find it very sporting that people take advantage of getting every shot they upload on the front page. For me it shows ones true colors, that is to say you care more about an ego boost than what is good for the hobby, or even 'fair.'

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 13):
Personally I don't find it very sporting that people take advantage of getting every shot they upload on the front page. For me it shows ones true colors, that is to say you care more about an ego boost than what is good for the hobby, or even 'fair.'

You must not like a LOT of photographers here then, including some screeners, I imagine (based on the shots that make the homepage).

But why is it not good for the hobby? That makes no sense.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

r5k

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:08 pm

I have often wondered how some pictures get so many views so quickly, I can understand new types or new livery.
Are photographers actively promoting the pictures on multiple sites or do some photographers just have huge followings.
This is my favorite shot that has been accepted. In 20 days it has just over 400 views, the day it was accepted the shots on the front page had 6000+ in less than 24 hours I think mine made about 100.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Richard Lower

I find it challenging to get pictures accepted so don't really expect my images to be appearing on the front page but it often seems great shots don't make.

Regards

Richard

airkas1

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Some photos draw more attention than others. What also helps is that some photographers plug their photos in several online (social) media, thus generating more hits.

clickhappy

Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Vik - I said it wasn't sporting; I never said anything about liking/disliking anyone. And, if there are screeners doing it, they must not be doing it for every shot, like some are. As for it not being good for the hobby, anything that causes people to not participate is bad.

vikkyvik

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:51 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 17):
Vik - I said it wasn't sporting; I never said anything about liking/disliking anyone.

True, sorry I didn't really mean it that way. More that you must not like what many photogs are probably doing, including screeners.

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 17):
As for it not being good for the hobby, anything that causes people to not participate is bad.

Why is it causing people not to participate?