kulverstukas
Topic Author

Another "is It Anet Worthy" Thread Of Me

Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 pm

http://russianplanes.net/images/to180000/179125.jpg

http://russianplanes.net/images/to180000/179120.jpg

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/r1449091015.1503img_5344-3.jpg

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/y1449090192.57img_5505-3.jpg

BTW, can last one be treated as hot, because there is no photo of this testbed flying all new PD-14 at Anet?

YQZ380

RE: Another "is It Anet Worthy" Thread Of Me

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:27 am

First one seems a little bit too bluish/cyan.

Second one is somewhat grainy in the sky and I think I see some dust spots and dark specks near the upper right of the shot.

Third one seems low on contrast.

Last one should be fine, though not sure on the "hot" aspect.
Life is like an airliner; if you try to climb too much, you will stall.

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:39 am

1.) Heavy blue cast, low contrast. Cool framing though!
2.) Heavy magenta/blue cast, low contrast, probably too dark as is. Pretty noisy - I'd go for a smaller size.
3.) Mild blue cast, low contrast, some noise and oversharpening - better smaller.
4.) Blue cast, low contrast, appears to need a bit of CW.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

airkas1

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:19 am

I agree with everything Vik wrote above, except the CW for the last one. Level seems ok.

Quoting kulverstukas (Thread starter):
BTW, can last one be treated as hot, because there is no photo of this testbed flying all new PD-14 at Anet?

There is some leniency to new stuff, but it would of course be better if fixed from the start. Don't forget to include a message to the screeners; just a simple "new" will be sufficient.

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:23 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):
blue cast

I'm terrible in working with such photos - cloudy sky and snowy ground. They have very narrow histogram and when I begin to push lights and pull blacks photos tends to fall into blue. Trying to correct color temp and tint in LR makes them yellowish or magentish.

clickhappy

Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 4):
I'm terrible in working with such photos - cloudy sky and snowy ground. They have very narrow histogram and when I begin to push lights and pull blacks photos tends to fall into blue. Trying to correct color temp and tint in LR makes them yellowish or magentish.

That's what happens when you shoot in shitty light.

Kaphias

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:00 pm

An "auto color" layer in PS at ~65% opacity looks pretty decent as a guideline. I'm sure there's a more sophisticated way to do it using the color balance.

angad84

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:43 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 5):
That's what happens when you shoot in shitty light.
Quoting clickhappy (Reply 5):
An "auto color" layer in PS at ~65% opacity looks pretty decent as a guideline. I'm sure there's a more sophisticated way to do it using the color balance.

I guess there's more than one way of responding to a feedback thread...

Alex, I only use Lightroom, so I dunno how much help I'll be, but fiddling with WB and tint is pretty much the ONLY way to sort the colour issues. Try taking frequent breaks between edits to allow your eyes to 'reset.' That's how I do it with the difficult shots.

Cheers
Angad

airkas1

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:47 pm

You could try correcting the blue and magenta by using the Kelvin slider and red/green slider below it (both in the RAW converter).

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Quoting angad84 (Reply 7):

I add another one to the question:

http://russianplanes.net/images/to180000/179182.jpg

And please continue, I'm listening  

angad84

Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:51 pm

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 9):
And please continue, I'm listening

Don't think this one has the quality for this size. TBH, it's a bit low quality overall, but with a little massaging could probably pass muster at a smaller size.

Complaints - heat haze, general softness, blue/magenta cast, low contrast

Cheers
A

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Quoting angad84 (Reply 7):

Yup.

Sometimes you have no option but shooting in "shitty light" if you want to capture something.

For me, shooting in good light gets boring really fast. Give me foggy or rainy conditions any day.

Best for me is to do the major color correcting through white balance, and the tweaking using the sliders in Photoshop.

But yes, though I haven't shot in snow, I find aircraft against a cloudy sky difficult to color correct as well.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

scbriml

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 11):
Sometimes you have no option but shooting in "shitty light" if you want to capture something.

Yeah, some photographers think the sun shines out their ass, but the rest of us sometimes have no option but to shoot in sub-optimal weather. Doubly true if you've just paid to travel half way round the World and the weather doesn't cooperate.

Personally, I rather shoot in "shitty light" than have no shot at all.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

clickhappy

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:05 pm

Why? So you can spend all your time trying to make a picture "look good" in Photoshop?

OP should focus on mastering photography in good light before attempting conditions like this. Learn about things like white balance and exposure. It's obvious from these examples you don't know how to do either. There are plenty of places to read about such things online, and will be much more beneficial to you then trying to get pictures accepted here.

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 13):
Why? So you can spend all your time trying to make a picture "look good" in Photoshop?

No Royal. See, A.net doesn't rule the world of photography.

Read what I said earlier. A cloudy or rainy or foggy day doesn't equal "looks bad". Plus, I agree with Steve:

Quoting scbriml (Reply 12):
Personally, I rather shoot in "shitty light" than have no shot at all.
It's obvious from these examples you don't know how to do either.

I guess so, if you rush to judge something based on a very limited sample size.

You know, some of us are better at some things than others. That's the way the world works. Some people have difficulty determining color casts. I am sometimes one of them. I have difficulty spotting noise that A.net screeners see easily.

I guess from your posts in this thread you don't know how to constructively help people seeking feedback.

clickhappy

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 pm

Vik - The title of this thread is "is it Anet worthy?" I never said "A.net rules the world of photography." (Whatever that means BTW). The thread is about making photos for this website, isn't it?

The reasons you list are probably the reason you didn't make it as a screener. The same goes for Steve.

To the OP, learn to walk before you run. You are asking for advice, my advice to you is to learn the basics of photography. Photography happens behind a camera, not on a computer.

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:06 am

OP should focus on mastering photography in good light before attempting conditions like this.

Thanks for your helpful attitude. However I'm quite happy with my photos shoot in sunny conditions and their acceptance rate here (even taken in account that I mostly upload at 1500px). I don't bother to ask much about them lately  

I also think that this forum is specially for asking for advice and not ashamed to confirm that I don't know much about WB. Thanks for help everybody, keep posting  

scbriml

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:13 am

No, read my post. If I've just paid to travel half way round the World to shoot planes, then I'm shooting planes whatever the weather does.

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 15):
The same goes for Steve.

Define "Didn't make it as a screener". I had to stop screening because of the workload of my job. If I "didn't make it as a screener", I wonder why Head Screeners have repeatedly asked me to do it again?

You know Royal, you come across as an arrogant shit at times and this is another one of them.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

vikkyvik

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:11 am

Vik - The title of this thread is "is it Anet worthy?" I never said "A.net rules the world of photography." (Whatever that means BTW). The thread is about making photos for this website, isn't it?

Yes, and just saying "that's what happens when you shoot in shitty light" is not particularly helpful advice.

What I meant is that despite what A.net or screeners might consider "good light" or a "good looking photo", we don't all necessarily hold that same view. I have plenty of shots that wouldn't make it here for whatever reason, but I still think they are good shots and I quite like them. So I don't have to spend any time making them "look good" in Photoshop.

The reasons you list are probably the reason you didn't make it as a screener.

No, those aren't the reasons, but so what if they were? That doesn't really matter, does it? I don't find some noise in a photo particularly objectionable.

Photography happens behind a camera, not on a computer.

While true for the most part (there are exceptions), I can take a shot with great quality in perfect light, and I still have to do some editing to get it accepted here.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 17):
No, read my post. If I've just paid to travel half way round the World to shoot planes, then I'm shooting planes whatever the weather does.

Although in my case, since I don't get to travel that often, it's more like if I drive an hour to LAX to shoot planes, then I'm shooting planes whatever the weather does.

clickhappy

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 17):
You know Royal, you come across as an arrogant shit at times and this is another one of them.

You know what I find arrogant, Steve? You posting three times in this thread and not offering even one piece of advice, or even staying on topic, to the original post. Nobody cares that you like to shoot in poor light.

The post, and this forum for that matter, are for people looking for advice on getting their photos accepted on this website.

Why not offer some advice on how to get such photos accepted, rather than call me names?

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:35 pm

OK, back to topic:

http://russianplanes.net/images/to180000/179236.jpg

What about this one?

Psych

Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Well, this thread makes for interesting reading.

Staying on topic, I like those first two shots, Alex. I definitely agree that they have significant colour casts though, that would doubtless get them rejected just for that. I took the liberty of having a very quick play with them and think a couple of very quick adjustments can make a significant difference:

Colour adjustment +21 Red; -31 Yellow

Colour Adjustment -28 Cyan; -21 Yellow

I have indicated the colour adjustments below the photos.

You'll see I chose quite significant amounts of colour change but, for me, they improve those casts. I am not saying those are right, but I think they are on the way and would reduce the 'automatic' likelihood of rejection for colour.

I do agree that the noisy sky in the second is going to be an issue for A.net, but I like the atmospheric/'sh***y' lighting.

I would happily have a go with the originals of both those if you would like, to give you a sense of what I would come up with - just let me know.

Cheers.

Paul

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks, Paul. Which color adjustment tool did you use? PS has no "color adjustment" afaik, but "selective color" and it's separate for shadows/neutrals/highlights. LR have color adjustment, bu its for hue/lightness/saturation.

PRM

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 20):
What about this one?

Looks soft +/- blurry(?)..may also have a reddish colour cast. Could use a bit of CW rotation too...

[Edited 2015-12-04 12:26:52]

Kaphias

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 22):
Which color adjustment tool did you use? PS has no "color adjustment" afaik, but "selective color" and it's separate for shadows/neutrals/highlights.

In Photoshop, you can use the "Color Balance" adjustment layer to make the indicated changes.

vikkyvik

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:05 pm

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 22):
PS has no "color adjustment" afaik

Yes it does. Image --> Image Adjustments --> Color Balance, as Kaphias stated.

Or you can use the Levels function, and tweak the white and black points for each color channel (R, G, B), which will also tend to neutralize any color cast, and will adjust contrast and brightness at the same time.

Quoting Psych (Reply 21):
but I like the atmospheric/'sh***y' lighting.

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 25):
Yes it does. Image --> Image Adjustments --> Color Balance, as Kaphias stated.

Yep. I'm mistakenly named it "selective colors". It has 3 adjustments for any color pair, right? So Paul moved midtones?

scbriml

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 19):
You know what I find arrogant, Steve? You posting three times in this thread and not offering even one piece of advice, or even staying on topic, to the original post. Nobody cares that you like to shoot in poor light.

It seems reading comprehension isn't your strong point.

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 19):
Why not offer some advice on how to get such photos accepted

I didn't think I could top "Don't shoot in shitty light".

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 20):

Slight reddish cast, needs some CW rotation and more contrast. IMHO a bit low in the frame.   

vikkyvik

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:18 pm

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 26):
Yep. I'm mistakenly named it "selective colors". It has 3 adjustments for any color pair, right? So Paul moved midtones?

It has sliders for:
Cyan - Red
Magenta - Green
Yellow - Blue

I'm guessing he adjusted midtones, yes. I just leave it at whatever its default setting is. I'm assuming default is midtones.

Psych

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 28):
It has sliders for:
Cyan - Red
Magenta - Green
Yellow -

That's it. So all I did, Alex, was to move the slider for the first photo 21 units toward the red end of the 'Cyan to Red' continuum, and 31 units toward the yellow end of that continuum. And so on. It's '+' when the slider goes to the right, and '-' when you move to the left.

Nothing more complex than that, and looking at the image to see what looks okay.

Paul

vikkyvik

Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:11 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 27):
Slight reddish cast, needs some CW rotation and more contrast.

Agreed. There's also a bit of noise visible, which will get worse with added contrast (and it needs a fair bit of contrast). Would be better at a smaller size.

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Ok, another two to consider why it will not get through  https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/w1449342332.2036img_3693-1.jpg

Color cast and motive for stair car?

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/r1449343795.9205img_0416-1.jpg

Too busy and OS?

angad84

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 31):
Color cast and motive for stair car?

Colour looks ok (always tricky in shots like this) but motive is almost certain.

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 31):
Too busy and OS?

You could give that a 16:10 or 16:9 crop to reduce the foreground clutter.

Cheers
A

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Quoting angad84 (Reply 32):

Sounds good.

OFF TOPIC: I spent an hour today at "Fifth Ocean" restaurant at SVO, waiting for my sister arrival, it's really great place to shoot takeoffs and taxi. It's at F terminal, 4th floor. Consider to visit it tomorrow for some coffee break  

angad84

Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:42 pm

Quoting kulverstukas (Reply 33):
OFF TOPIC: I spent an hour today at "Fifth Ocean" restaurant at SVO, waiting for my sister arrival, it's really great place to shoot takeoffs and taxi. It's at F terminal, 4th floor. Consider to visit it tomorrow for some coffee break

Great suggestion, thanks. I will keep it in mind  

Cheers

airkas1

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Colour looks ok (always tricky in shots like this) but motive is almost certain.

16:9 would be indeed better for this photo.

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:38 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):
4.) Blue cast, low contrast, appears to need a bit of CW.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kulverstukas

Opinion about this one?

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/z1449431371.9386img_7598-10.jpg

I struggled with this shot last year, now I try to reanimate it again.

[Edited 2015-12-10 10:01:16]

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:24 am

Quoting Psych (Reply 29):
Nothing more complex than that, and looking at the image to see what looks okay.

Thanks, Paul.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kulverstukas

Psych

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Well done - that's certainly a better colour than the one I did, and very different from the first one shown in the thread.

Paul

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:58 pm

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/d1450292782.3318img_0251-4.jpg

angad84

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 39):

I think you could dial back the NR (or sharpening masking).

Cheers
A

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:35 pm

Quoting angad84 (Reply 40):
I think you could dial back the NR (or sharpening masking).

/me puzzled...
You mean background is looks too smooth?

Also what about this one?

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/big/ready/t1450121350.4489img_0102-3.jpg

angad84

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 41):
You mean background is looks too smooth?

All of it looks too smooth. You're losing a lot of fine details.

That's not to say it will or will not get accepted, but I just think you'd have a better photo with less NR/masking.

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 41):
Also what about this one?

I'm on a new screen right now, so this may not be 100% correct, but this one looks a little soft overall.

Cheers
Angad

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Woo!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kulverstukas

monsoon84

Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 43):

Woo!

View Large View Medium

Nice!

Interesting photo...

-Kenneth A.

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Two more from today?

http://russianplanes.net/images/to181000/180327.jpg
"Stop this December's rain!"

and

http://russianplanes.net/images/to181000/180345.jpg
"Shortest day of the Year"

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:18 pm

Motivewise?

2 x Mil Mi-38-2 with Mil plant museum as background.
http://russianplanes.net/images/to181000/180889.jpg

Mil 28N in scenic lights towing.
http://russianplanes.net/images/to181000/180897.jpg

angad84

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:25 am

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 46):
Motivewise?

Motive is ok for #1 but might not work for #2. Both shots don't look too great though - are they heavy crops or something?

Quoting Kulverstukas (Reply 45):
Two more from today?

Nice shots, but again look a bit off. Slight blur/softness in parts, which is not being helped by the NR/masking. Plus, I'm not sure about exposure/contrast. Are they night shots (per a.net rules, sun below horizon etc) or are they late evening/overcast shots?

Cheers
Angad

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:32 am

Hey! New year is close! Even closer for you, Angad!

Quoting angad84 (Reply 47):
Both shots don't look too great though - are they heavy crops or something?

Poor light - evening sun and yard is already at the shadow, also tiny snow crystals in the air I think - and 600 mm, not heavily cropped through, it's almost whole frame.

Are they night shots (per a.net rules, sun below horizon etc) or are they late evening/overcast shots?

First is low sun, pouring rain and overcast sky, second one is just couple of minutes after real sunset. Both are already rejected  

Happy New Year for everybody!

[Edited 2015-12-31 03:34:04]

kulverstukas
Topic Author

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:36 am

Both shots don't look too great though

Hmmm... Just found that both shoot at ISO800. It can explain this.