Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dysko
Topic Author

Pre-screening: Tinted Lights

Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi,
today I went to Volandia flight museum, near Milan Malpensa airport, Italy. A pavillion contained tinted lights, whose color varied continuously from purple to red to yellow.
Will it be possible to upload photos taken in such conditions? I tried "playing" with white balance and color balance, and it was not possible to remove completely the color cast given by the lights.
Moreover, behind some planes there were standard "warm" interior lights, which become of a strong yellow colour when trying to adjust color in Photoshop.

I'm attaching one of the photos as an example. This one was taken under purple lighting.
http://www.golfvictorspotting.it/coppfold/albums/userpics/10001/_MG_0003_131215.jpg

Thank you very much!

vikkyvik

RE: Pre-screening: Tinted Lights

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Oh geez, that looks like no fun whatsoever to try and color balance.

What I would probably do is desaturate the colors somewhat. That makes it a bit....easier on the eyes, I guess.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

scbriml

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:58 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 1):
What I would probably do is desaturate the colors somewhat.

Not sure what the screeners would accept. IMHO, I don't think those colours 'work'. However, given the age of the Vampire, you might get away with a B&W image.   
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/scbriml/_MG_0003_131215.jpg
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:43 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
Not sure what the screeners would accept.

Yeah, and to be clear, I don't mean desaturate to the point that it's noticeable. Just maybe 10 or 15 points off saturation, just to take the edge off.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
IMHO, I don't think those colours 'work'.

Agree, unless you're a Lakers fan.

That looks like one of those shots where to get a realistic coloring across the photo, you may have to separately white-balance two photos and combine them.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Dysko
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Thank you very much for your replies!  

Would be interesting to know a screener's opinion too.

clickhappy

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 3):
That looks like one of those shots where to get a realistic coloring across the photo, you may have to separately white-balance two photos and combine them.

Please don't do that, as it would be rejected as that type of editing is not welcome here. It is also disturbing an ex-screener would suggest that as a course of action. Perhaps he is trying to give advice for "non airliners.net" images, but since you are asking for a screeners feedback, and that is what this forum is here for, we will talk about this site.

There are examples of images in database where there are different temperature color lights at work, so I would say the images have a chance:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King
View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

There are also some images with colored flashes being exposed, although back in 2008 or so I think it was decided that we were not allowing it.

View Large View Medium

Photo © The Erick Lopez Collection

I would pick your best image and upload it, and add a note explaining the lighting. I would imagine it would be passed to the Creative Team and a group decision will be made. I would start with one photo, and wait for a response.

Are there any pictures in the database from this location?

[Edited 2015-12-17 11:50:29]

Dysko
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Thank you very much, Clickhappy! I'll upload one such picture tomorrow, and wait for the team's response.

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 5):
Are there any pictures in the database from this location?

I just checked, the most recent pictures from that pavilion were taken in 2013, when there were still "normal" lights. Tinted lights are a recent addition from few months ago, when 2 new airplanes were moved in that museum from the Science and Technology Museum in Milan.

vikkyvik

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:47 am

Quoting clickhappy (Reply 5):
Please don't do that, as it would be rejected as that type of editing is not welcome here. It is also disturbing an ex-screener would suggest that as a course of action.

I wasn't suggesting it as a course of action. It was a comment on the photo in general.

What I actually suggested for A.net was earlier in that post, and in my first post in the thread.

Didn't mean to disturb ya, Royal!