Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ajaaron
Topic Author

Are These 2 Pics Up To Standard?

Sun May 29, 2016 6:41 pm

Still new at this....

Here are two photos I've uploaded - any thoughts on whether they'll be successful?

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...4486935.1329virgin09rturnondep.jpg

and

https://www.airliners.net/addphotos/b...g/ready/b1464539107.0219ba7772.jpg

vishaljo

RE: Are These 2 Pics Up To Standard?

Sun May 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I'm sorry neither will make it mate.

The BA has a lot of chromatic aberration, is soft and just not good enough quality for the resolution you've uploaded.

The VS i'm afraid is a lot worse in just about every aspect.

What point & shoot digicam is this you're using? Won't help you get any actions shots up on this site mate, you can try static airplanes or other stuff which you can get reasonably close to   

ajaaron
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Im using a Canon EOS 1200D with a 75mm-300mm zoom lens.

Will changing the BA resolution help? What do you suggest?

ajaaron
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2016 7:50 pm

Do I simply need a more expensive camera or lens? Any ideas which one to go for?

vikkyvik

Sun May 29, 2016 10:59 pm

Quoting ajaaron (Reply 3):
Do I simply need a more expensive camera or lens?

No. Any DSLR camera body is fine, and any lens is fine as long as you know its limitations.

There are really two important things to uploading to A.net: 1.) Getting an original shot that is decent quality, and 2.) Learning how to post-process to A.net's liking.

What 75-300 are you using?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ajaaron
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 1:27 pm

My lens is Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III

What spec is minimum lens I'd need to get good enough quality shooting at say 300mm? -

Is 300mm enough, or is a longer lens needed for the two pics I've taken, which are typical shots I'd aiming to capture?

airkas1

Mon May 30, 2016 1:43 pm

Your lens is good and your body will be ok too.

The photos you posted above are out of focus, very soft and the chromatic abberation is very noticeable. Also, you have a dirty sensor (dust spots etc.). Conditions for the above photos seems well above average (blue sky/sun), so I'm not sure where the problem lies. Could you post the EXIf for the photos? How much did you have to crop the original photo?

ajaaron
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2016 10:31 pm

Many thanks for this....

Here are links to the RAW files for each photo

http://mbf.me/bBff4B

and

http://mbf.me/PqAqDI

Perhaps it is my post processing lack of knowledge... Many thanks again for taking a look.

solro

Tue May 31, 2016 12:11 am

Well, the RAWs look really better than I thought!
They are way more sharper than the edited ones. The only way to get such a result from these RAWs is to reduce sharpening to 0 (Lightroom has default 25).
Try to increase sharpness to 80-90 and you will see major improvements.

BUT, your real problem is your sensor. It's really dirty and I recommend to get it cleaned by an expert.

len90

Tue May 31, 2016 2:23 am

What did you do post processing? BA

Quoting solro (Reply 8):
BUT, your real problem is your sensor. It's really dirty and I recommend to get it cleaned by an expert.

That might be the dirtiest sensor I have seen in a very long time. The BA shot might be workable but may ultimately have a motive issue with that port engine being cut off at the bottom of the frame. The VS looks to be too distant and hazy thus grainy.

My advice: get your camera's sensor properly cleaned and ensure you lens's outer objectives are clean as well. Go outside and start practicing. Your body and lens will be fine for getting decent shots. You just need to get practice to learn what settings will be best for each situation.
Len90

vikkyvik

Tue May 31, 2016 3:36 am

Quoting ajaaron (Reply 7):
Here are links to the RAW files for each photo

So the original of the VS is quite heat hazed, which makes it very soft. And given how much you'd have to crop, no way that one is salvageable. Contrast is also quite low on the original, so you'd have to add quite a bit, which would make any noise more visible.

BA original is also pretty soft, and there are some horrid chromatic aberrations (noticeable especially around the cockpit windows. It's also overexposed.

My guess is that your lens doesn't perform particularly well at max zoom. That could account for the chromatic aberration and the softness. I haven't used your particular lens, but it wouldn't surprise me - I've had two non-L lenses, and on both, I had to limit my zoom to about 50mm short of max.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".