falstaff
Topic Author

Delta Mainline to Evansville, Indiana; for the tractor show! DTW-ATL-EVV 6-10-16

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:49 am

On Friday June 10, 2016 I flew from DTW to Evansville, Indiana (EVV) by way of ATL and it was all Delta mainline. I have flown to EVV before, but never mainline. The reason I have flew to EVV is because I attend the Lawn & Garden Tractor Extravaganza/Southern Indiana Antique Machinery show. A friend of mine tows our equipment down a few days earlier, but I can’t get out of work that long so I fly down and meet him. There are a few direct flights per day between DTW and EVV, but I chose this evening flight for two reasons; one it fit my schedule and the other is because it gave me the opportunity to fly on a 717, which I had not flown on since the TWA days. I arrived at DTW two hours before departure and found the place not very busy, which is common at around 4pm. I was able to get through the TSA line is less than five minutes which was great.

I usually don’t eat dinner at 4pm, but I didn’t know how crowded ATL would be or if I would have enough time eat between flights. I have connected in ATL before and sometimes it can take a while to get between gates. I sat down at max & Erma’s and had a cheeseburger, which was very good by airport standards.

I was amazed to see a small crowd gathered around a TV showing a soccer match; we don't see that too often in the USA.

I am always amused by all of the new types of vending machines at the airport. It used to be they only had machines for drink and snacks, now they have machines for ties and cufflinks.

I wondered over to the gate where I saw the fresh 2015 build 737-900 that would take me to ATL.

There was a big crowd hanging around the gate but everyone loaded in an orderly fashion and on time.

The plane still had that new plane smell and it had some very nice Y seats.

The leg room was adequate.

We pushed back right on time and were in the air in no time. The FAs passed out snacks and I read my magazine and just chilled out.

After a while I checked out the IFE; I always enjoy playing trivia.

We arrived in ATL right on time and I headed down to the train to head over to the next terminal.

I always enjoy a train ride.

The next terminal was BUSY, lots of RJ and 717 traffic. I stopped and had a frozen yogurt.

I saw my plane was at the gate so I knew we’d be getting off to EVV on time. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 717-200 I would be flying on was N906AT, which was built for TWA. There is even photos of it in the a.net database in TW colors. The only other time I flew on a 717 was with TW, back in 2001. I also like the 1970s Ford truck parked at the gate.

The flight was full. There were lots of people at the gate and a lot of them were children. The schools in Evansville had been out for few weeks so I figured they were families headed back home from summer trips.

We boarded the aircraft right on time and left the gate on schedule. There were three planes ahead of us to take off, which wasn’t as bad as I would have thought. The 717 interior was very nice and made me think of all of my wonderful NW DC-9 flights.

The FAs passed out snacks. I was planning on reading my magazine, but my reading light would only work for about a minute at a time. It would shut down and then come back on. I assume it was overheating. After about five minutes I decided to sit in the dark. The other people around me were sleeping, so I couldn’t use somebody else’s light. We arrived in EVV right on time and went right up to the gate. I am sure we were the last flight of the evening because the TSA checkpoint and bar were closed. There wasn’t much going on in EVV

A buddy of mine picked me up out in front of the terminal and we headed off to the Vanderburgh 4-H Center for the tractor show.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

falstaff
Topic Author

Re: Delta Mainline to Evansville, Indiana; for the tractor show! DTW-ATL-EVV 6-10-16

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:00 am

My buddies were already hammered when I arrived so I had to play catch up, which was impossible, but I drank some Hamm’s Light and some homemade hooch. We always drink a lot of cheap beer at the tractor show.

I was pretty worn out so I headed up to by buddy, Zac’s, motorhome to crash out.

The morning came early. My buddies, Zac and Kevin, had already set up our display of vintage Hahn-Eclipse equipment.

I wondered around the show grounds looking at cool old machines.

No show is complete without one of our machines breaking down.

My mom and dad drove over from St. Louis and hung out for a while. We checked out the bluegrass band they had.

By then it was time for beer!

Then we checked out more vintage machines. It was very hot 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 Celsius) and rather humid too.

Later than evening we hit a great bar called the Hornets’ Nest and had some pork tenderloin and Hamm’s Special Light, for only $1 a can.

falstaff
Topic Author

Re: Delta Mainline to Evansville, Indiana; for the tractor show! DTW-ATL-EVV 6-10-16

Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:09 am

Then back to the show grounds for some cheap beer and a spark show from one of the steam tractors. This is accomplished by burning a lot of sawdust. I have some friends in the UK and Canada that are steam tractor buffs and they can’t see a spark show because their government frowns on that sort of thing. Somebody had a police/fire scanner and we heard a call about a fire at the 4-H grounds. The dispatcher informed the officer that it was just the tractor boys having a good time.

The next morning we wondered around the swap meet looking for more sad junk to buy and then started to pack up. It was going to be another insanely hot day so we loaded up as fast as we could. Like every year we had a very large load of empty beer cans.

We took one trailer load of equipment over to Zac’s mom’s barn, where we store it for this show, and then headed back to the 4-H grounds to load up the stuff we were taking back to Michigan.

We left the showground at 2pm and headed north to Ft. Wayne were we would spend the night. We could have made it straight through, but the morning heat takes it out of us. We stopped for dinner at a smoke filled dump, off of I-469, in New Haven, Indiana called 469 Sports and Spirits. The food was actually pretty good and they had 18oz bottles of Bud and Miller Lite for $3.

After dinner and a couple of beers we went over to the Flying J truck stop and spent the night. You can rent a spot at the Flying J for $12. They also have first come first serve parking too. We had an end spot so Zac could put the slides out on the RV. We sat in the RV and drank beer the rest of the night. Up near Ft. Wayne it was 20 degrees cooler than in Evansville, during the day and at night it got down to the fifties, so there was no need to fire up the generator and use the A/C. If it had been a bit cooler we would have had to fire up the furnace.

The next morning we got up and had a leisurely breakfast and headed back to Michigan. The Lawn & Garden Tractor Extravaganza was a great success this year and we plan on being there again next year.

HGL

Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:25 am

Hey, what an amazingly different trip report. Sure the flights were interesting enough but all those antique tractors, especially the old steam ones.

Looks as if you sampled almost as many beers as there were tractors on display. :lol: The main thing is you had a great time.

Thanks for sharing.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

seat38a

Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Great report. Any trip where you can trip that much beer is a good one :D