Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fine dining on Austrian Airlines European Economy Class.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:34 pm

I recently had to go on a business trip from Zürich to Vienna and selected Austrian Airlines for the journey. Just as I was completing the booking I saw that there is a number of different menus that you can pre-order for EUR15 per meal.

As ever, my curiosity got the better of me and I ended up order a meal for both the outbound and inbound legs.

Personally, I think these were EUR30 well invested. The catering provided by Do & Co on behalf of Austrian Airlines is truly excellent and good value for money. The only thing that is perhaps a tad uncomfortable is that on the two flights I took, I was the only person to have pre-ordered such a meal. Which is okay I guess, but it does make you feel kind of awkward to be served a tray with real food on it, instead of some packet of dry crackers.

Here are the link to the reviews I wrote:
ZRH-VIE on OS A 320
VIE-ZRH on OS A 320

caleb1

Re: Fine dining on Austrian Airlines European Economy Class.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Wow! That is a truly amazing meal. I wish we had an airline in the U.S. that would offer such high quality meals. We don't even have the option to prepay for meals of this standard. I am impressed!

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Hi Caleb1

Thanks for posting. To be honest, I was quite surprised too. I mean, I just tried it for the heck of it, because I'm a geek. I wasn't expecting it to taste that good and for there to be so much food!

Cheers,
William

rugger

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:17 am

I think the price was reasonable for what you received. I wish airlines in the US would consider this type of service on their longer domestic routes. More people would participate. The problem here is what is served even with BOB is stale and tasteless.

jetwet1

Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:23 am

rugger wrote:
I think the price was reasonable for what you received. I wish airlines in the US would consider this type of service on their longer domestic routes. More people would participate. The problem here is what is served even with BOB is stale and tasteless.

I couldn't have said it better, if airlines served that type of food and allowed me to pre order I would do so on most flights, for $15 that's an absolute steal compared to the crap they serve for $8.

lychemsa

Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:51 pm

The meals look great.

Aer Lingus offer deluxe meals on transatlantic flights.

However Vienna to Zurich is such a short flight.

Flew OS on the same route in the early 1990s nearly 25 years ago, and they offered a mediocre snack.

jetblue777

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:51 pm

Wow, I wish US airlines would take this step. I am more than willing to pay a bit more and get a quality meal than settling with a substandard sandwich or one of those random snack boxes. What's even more amazing is that they offer these on such a short flight.

Would love to try OS the next time I'm in Europe. Thanks for sharing!

JB
It's a cultural thing.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:00 am

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. The more I think of it, the less I understand why not more airlines adopt the Austrian Airlines model. Of course, all the LCC offer buy on board, but in most cases that is limited to snacks and sandwiches, which you can also purchase on the ground before you board the flight. But was OS offers for purchase really is an added value.

Cheers,
William