Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

The great siege of Malta: Air Malta vs. SWISS Business Class

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:33 pm

Swiss International Air Lines started flights from Zürich to Malta about a year ago. At the time I figured this would spell the end of Air Malta’s long-standing link to Switzerland. However, as it turned out, I think I needn’t have worried. First of all, SWISS does not operate the flight to Malta on a daily basis, whereas Air Malta operates daily flights during the peak summer season. Furthermore, the latter’s schedule is far more convenient – and the flight is always at the same time – departing in the early afternoon from Malta and then returning from Zürich in the evening.

SWISS’ schedule on the other hand, is a bit erratic. On some days the flight leaves Zürich around noon, which is okay, but on other days it either leaves so early in the morning that one would have to spend the night in Zürich before the flight. And then on other days the SWISS flight arrives back in Zürich very late in the evening.

So while Air Malta certainly scores on frequency and schedule, the question is: who takes the biscuit as far as the passenger experience is concerned?

I have already posted the Zürich to Malta leg on SWISS a couple of days ago. Here then, please find my report on the return leg from Malta to Zürich with Air Malta.

Cheers,
William

lychemsa

Re: The great siege of Malta: Air Malta vs. SWISS Business Class

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Loved Malta and Gozo. Flew on Alitalia from Geneva as it was a Delta in C. Would have preferred Air Malta.

debonair

Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:39 pm

Knightsofmalta wrote:
So while Air Malta certainly scores on frequency and schedule, the question is: who takes the biscuit as far as the passenger experience is concerned?

So your verdict? Who's the winner?!
For my part, BusinessClass on Air Malta seems nice, but having flown in Economy with their new "buy-on-board" low-cost recently, I would choose LX over KM anytime without a doubt (even despite German flight attendants)!
BTW. KM now dropped my home-town airport (very, very poor management decision by KM in my eyes), but DE will step in.

sirdanilot

Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:35 pm

Malta is absolutely beautiful (very very hot though) and I would love to visit it again !

I went there so many years ago that I don't have a clue what carrier I flew on. I remember having a layover in FRA and in MUC on the way back, so I suspect lufthansa or one of their subcarriers.

jetwet1

Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Well, firstly the lounges in Zurich are always a mess, I had a series of trips from the US west coast to Italy this year, my company gave me a choice of airlines and I picked Swiss, a mistake on my part I quickly figured out, but there was nothing I could do. The meal you got on LX actually looks better then the majority of meals i've gotten on their long haul flights, in J, sad really.

I just cannot get past the Euro version of a business or first class cabin on inter Europe flights, the blocked middle seat and the non existent seat pitch are a joke.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:57 am

Hi all

Thanks for taking the time to comment and post. Debonair, to answer your question: in the sum of all things, I think my vote goes to Air Malta. Admittedly, they don't offer a hot meal like SWISS do. But on the other hand, the Air Malta crew were far more friendly and willing to interact in a very natural way with the passengers. So the over all feel ofthe flight was a lot more pleasant.

Of course, I'm aware that a comparison between these two very different airlines only makes sense to a limited extent. But to be honest, if I were SWISS even so I think I'd be slightly alarmed if even a small airline like Air Malta can match them in terms of service and comfort...