Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:07 pm

United Airlines Flight 957
June 2016
Scheduled Departure Time: 9:20AM
Actual Departure Time: 9:22AM
Scheduled Arrival Time: 12:10PM
Actual Arrival Time: 11:47AM
Boeing 767-300ER (WL)

Dropped off a rental car at Geneva Airport on the French side two hours before scheduled departure and upon existing the French Sector, found an open security lane with no lines and was allowed to go through it. Took the elevator up to passport control and within minutes was in the C-gates area. This section of the terminal I believe is being remodeled and expanded (Aile Est, I believe it's called). There is not much here other than a coffee bar serving some food and a small Duty Free shop.

Today's flight was less than 20% full. We were bussed to the aircraft, parked at the opposite end of the terminal area, and parked next to the IAD-bound UA 767-300ER (3 class configuration), the just arrived Swiss A330-300 from JFK, and a Swiss 777-300ER. Boarded up the stairs and into the empty, clean, and tidy United plane. The cabin crew were friendly and welcoming. The Business First cabin filled up quickly but the rest of Economy was empty. There were maybe 30 people at most on board after the second bus load of passengers were brought over from C-51.

Pushback was two minutes late and we taxied to the far end of the runway and were #1 for take off. Flight time was 8 hours 05 minutes. Again, no real turbulence. The cabin crew were cheery and pleasant, perhaps due to today's light load. Food and beverage was served quickly and removed with the same efficiency. The mid-flight ice cream snack was followed by a pre-arrival sandwich that was fine too. The entertainment system worked great. The only tech issue was WIFI. It didn't work but no real issue.

Listened to Channel 9 on approach and it just amazed me how complicated it is to sequence all these planes into the airport. We landed almost 30 minutes ahead of schedule and taxied to the C-3 concourse where just a handful of flights had arrived at this point (TXL, LHR, and I think CDG). No checked bags and no lines at Immigration meant I was on the Air Train to Penn Station in 20 minutes from plane to curb.

When United works, it works well and this was my second long haul with them this year (the other was LAX-MEL in January in BF) and both flights were great. Nice crew. Hopefully a sign that the company has finally turned a corner.

lychemsa

Re: United Economy - GVA to EWR

Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:29 pm

I have taken this flight a few times. Surprised it was empty in summer.

It seems that the catering has improved. Never got an ice cream mid flight.

I prefer the 12 noon schedule of Swiss as 9.30 AM is too early. They also serve lunch at around 10.30 AM which is too early.

Cointrin330
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:36 am

I had preferred the Swiss A330 flight as well (took it from JFK to GVA earlier in the year), but it was not available (this was a mileage redemption ticket). The Swiss flight appeared later, but then it was too late to switch. I didn't mind the early departure as I was coming from Cruseilles in France. This was a very good flight, for and by United standards.

lychemsa

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:17 pm

I think United upgraded their meals recently because they were quite frankly disgusting in my opinion. Even my sister who is not fussy complained

I like their Premium seats for only $100 more.

On my United flight though from GVA to Washington about 5 +++ years ago, I was surprised that we got the same meal as they serve on Swiss which was great; except they did not offer the cheese.