Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HGL
Topic Author

City Triangle 1: KLM 737 Hamburg-Amsterdam

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:55 am

City Triangle 1: KLM Hamburg-Amsterdam

Although the main objective in coming to Hamburg is a visit to Airbus in Finkenwerder, I allow time for a short trip to London. I could have flown direct, there and back but to make things interesting I choose a triangular route that involves KLM, CityJet and British Airways in the form of MHS Aviation. This report covers the first sector: Hamburg to Amsterdam.

Map Courtesy of gcmap.com © Karl L Swartz

Checking in online the day before means that on arrival at the airport I don't have to queue but can go up to the observation deck and check out what is happening on the apron. I am surprised to see a Boeing 777 from Austrian as they usually send something smaller: OE-LPC 777-2Z9(ER) was previously with Lauda Air and known as Sir Donald Bradman, it has been renamed Dream of Freedom. Powered by two GE90-90B engines, when delivered to Lauda the cabin was C42Y300, later it was recongigured as C48Y260.

Departing is TC-SOA 737-8HC(WL)with Sun Express. This was ferried BFI-YYR-OSL-AYT during 25 to 26 June, 2016 on delivery to Sun Express. It has CFM56-7B26E engines and is all-Economy with 189 seats.

HB-IJI was delivered to Swissair 21 March, 1996 configured CY150. Following the collapse of that airline and its reinvention it was transferred to Swiss 31 March, 2002 reconfigured CY168. Then it was made even more cosy in December 2014, cpacity increasing to CY 180. Powered by CFMI CFM56-5B4/2 engines, it flies under the name Saint-Prex.

Ryanair serves a number of routes from Hamburg. Here we see EI-FOC, a Boeing 737-8AS(WL). This was ferried BFI-DUB 25 and 26 January this year. It has CFMI CFM56-7B26E engines and seats Y189.

At a remote stand being prepared for the return to Bucharest Otopeni is YR-ASA, an Airbus A318-111 with TAROM. The cabin is configured C14Y99 while power is provided by two CFMI CFM56-5B8/P plant. The aircraft was delivered on the 15 November 2006 and is named after Aurel Vlaicu, a Romanian pioneer aircraft builder and pilot. Sadly, he died of a heart attack during a test flight in 1913 but by this time had developed a number of aircraft.

Standing next to each other are visitors from Russia and Turkey. M. Balakirev (after the pianist and composer, maybe?) represents Rossiya (Aeroflot), still in its old livery. Corendon's TC-TJU, a Boeing 737-8HX(WL) originally ordered by Delta but not taken up, has seen service with Skymark, Atlas Air Worldwide and Wells Fargo Bank Northwest before being transferred with winglets fitted earlier this year. In the distance we can see a piece of history: the aircraft that introduced the jet-age to Lufthansa, D-ABOB Hamburg, a Boeing 707-430 that was rolled out in Renton on the 18 November, 1959.

Close neighbours in geography and history, close neighbours in Hamburg: the British and Irish. St. Andrew / Aindriú EI-EZV an Airbus A320-214 represents Aer Lingus. It flew previously with Eurofly, Meridiana Fly and Virgin Atlantic as Tartan Lassie and has been upgraded to C39W70Y133. British Airways is represented by an Airbus A319-131 bearing the registration G-EUOF.

As you would expect at a German airport, Lufthansa is present and here we see the arrival of D-AIRD Coburg, an Airbus A321. In the background is an Embraer ERJ190-100LR leased from FAF and flying for Finnair.

Image>

Bearing the title Krakow and Malopolska is another representative of Ryanair - EI-EVV. If I'm not mistaken, Krakow isn't served from Hamburg by Ryanair. For that you need easyJet.

By now G-EUOF is making its way to the runway for departure. Given the present "will they, won't they" with Brexit, perhaps the rego will change to G-EUOFF. Along the way the aircraft passes a United Airlines 767.

Usually United will be at a contact stand. Due to a delayed departure from Newark (aircraft swap for technical reasons, then thunderstorms on east coast)it arrived in Hamburg to find its usual stand occupied. This Boeing 767-424(ER)with the registration N76064 prior to the merger flew for Continental.

It is getting closer to boarding so I make my way through security. There aren't many people in the queue so it doesn't take long. Then along the piers and I see this venerable Airbus A310-304. It was originally delivered to Air Afrique on the 11 August, 1993. Six years later it was in service with Midwest Airlines before finally ending up at Iran Air on 22 January, 2004. I wonder how many years it will continue to fly?

Another Boeing type: a 757-300(WL). D-ABOK was originally with Condor, configured as Y252, from 25 March, 2000. It went to Thomas Cook Airlines in July 2002 before returning to Condor 28 May, 2004. Winglets were added in 2010 and the aircraft was reconfigured to Y275 in 2015.

But here is the arrival of my plane to Amsterdam. It is PH-BGQ, aka Wielewaal / Golden Oriole, a Boeing 737-7K2(WL)that was ferried from Boeing Field on the 22 June, 2011. Power plant is the CFMI CFM56-7B22.

Flight: KLM Royal Dutch KL1780 Hamburg-Amsterdam
Aircraft ID: PH-BGQ "Golden Oriole"
Type: Boeing 737-700 Seat 19F
STD/ ATD 12:35/ 12:34
STA / ATA 13:40/ 13:57

At the gate an announcement is made that due to a full flight volunteers are being sought to check in any carry-on bags that won't be needed during the flight. A few people step forward but all I have is my camera and that will definitely be needed. Shortly after, boarding commences with a cheerful greeting at the door. I take my seat at the window and survey the surroundings.

Loading is soon complete and the crew check all the overhead lockers and prepare for a manual safety briefing. This is conducted in German, English and Dutch. To remind themselves of the procedures passengers are encouraged to read the safety card in the seat-back pocket.

Also in the seatback pocket is a copy of the sales brochure and inflight magazine. The latter includes a page describing the aircraft in the KLM fleet.

The captain makes an announcement, welcoming us onboard and estimating an on-time arrival after a forty-five minute flight. Pushback is on time during a brief shower. At a stand is easyJet and TUIfly is being pushed back for departure.

As we push back, our friends from Iran do likewise. Also on the move is D-ASUN, a Boeing 737-8BK(WL)with TUIfly. Currently leased from CIT it was previously with Air India Express and SunExpress.

During taxi, we see the arrival of D-AIQF, from 26 July, 1991 with Lufthansa as Halle a.d. Saale and configured CY168, it has been with Germanwings since 30 August, 2014 and reconfigured to Y174.

We hold before the runway and wait while TUIfly throws up spray on its take-off run. Then it's our turn to do the same.

Last edited by HGL on Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

HGL
Topic Author

Re: City Triangle 1: KLM 737 Hamburg-Amsterdam

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:56 am

Pretty soon we are airborne and winging in a loop over the northern suburbs of Hamburg, disappearing into the clouds. Above a low layer of broken cloud is a solid layer a grey.

Emerging from the cloud into bright sunshine appears to be the signal for the cabin crew to jump into action. A brief announcement in Dutch and English informs us that due to the short flight only cold drinks will be served, together with a sandwich. The cart is brought out and the crew begin to distribute the meal. The cheese sandwich proves to fresh and quite tasty. Fruit juices, cola and beer is available but I opt for a red wine.

No sooner is the meal being cleared, the captain announces that we are over half way and have begun our descent into Schiphol. The weather is murky to say the least.

The neat lines of the Dutch countyside come into view and in the distance the city of Amsterdam can be seen.

We bank left and right a couple times before lining up and passing over an area of woodlands. Very soon we are on the ground, reverse thrust, flaps and spoilers aid in braking and deceleration. We leave the runway and begin a long taxi to the gate.

We pass PH-BHD Bougainvillaea, a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. This aircraft first flew on the 27 January this year and was ferried from Paynes Field to Amsterdam on delievery on the 10 February.

You can tell this is KLM territory! The City of Calgary is a Boeing 747-406(M) powered by four CF6-80C2B1F engines. Alongside is PH-BVA, a Boeing 777-306(ER)that earlier this year was painted in the special "Orange Pride" colours.

Also on taxi is a four-holer (CFM56-5C4) Airbus A340-313 that had the test registration F-WWJK. Now with China Airlines as B-18807.

Another Dreamliner, this one was delivered to Kenya Airways on the 22 August, 2014 and arriving in Nairobi the following day.

Over at D24 is an aircraft that has been around the traps since being delivered in February 2001. This Airbus A320-214 has seen service with Air Jamaica, Eirjet, Vladivostok Air, Senegal Airlines, and Atlasjet Ukraine, before joining AtlasGlobal in April, 2015.

Schiphol isn't just KLM. Here we see a representative of another major local airline, Transavia. It is a Boeing 737-7K2(WL) bearing the registration PH-XRD.

The intended arrivals gate is not yet free so we are required to hold position for about twenty minutes. The captain apologises for the delay, a message reinforced in the cabin with the advice for any passengers with connections to contact airport services at the gate. Quite a few cargo carriers serve Amsterdam. This example is from Yangtze River Express Cargo, a Boeing 747-481(BDSF) but unfortunately I am unable to make out the registration.

Has Delta moved their operations from Atlanta? It seems as if there are as many Delta planes here as there are KLM. This one is N181DN, a Boeing 767-332(ER)(WL). Powered by two PW4060s, the winglets were fitted in May 2012 and the cabin was upgraded to C26W29Y171 in November, 2013.

Finally the Captain is cleared to proceed to the stand. Along the way we pass an Air France Airbus A319-111, F-GRHR.

The crew advise us to remain seated with seat belts fastened until the aircraft has come to a complete stop. They tell us that we can now use our mobile phones and thank us for flying KLM. Even before the aircraft doors are opened, the baggage handlers are in place and beginning to unload. Some people might have tight connections and they will not want their bags to miss the flight.

The flight has been pleasant enough. Friendly crew combined with a suitable meal make for a happy passenger. Despite the delay on the ground I have plenty of time for the connection to London City with CityJet. That sector will be covered in my next report. Stay tuned.

fixfox

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:03 am

Thanks for your nice TR! Nice spotting pictures in HAM, pity that the weather did not cooperate.
You exactly describe the KLM short haul formula, the bring you from A to B (in your case H to A) in a decently comfortable, affordable and orderly manner, nothing more, nothing less. Strange that they did not offer any coffee or tea 'due te short flight'. According to my experience they always do.

rhuns

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:30 am

Very detailed and interesting trip report and a great collection of aircraft pictures.. Thanks for sharing.

If your flight was in July, the Austrian OE-LPC was in Hamburg on 15 and 31 July, and the Yangtze River 747 (B-2432 / 28283) was in Amsterdam on the same two days flying Zhengzhou-Amsterdam-Tianjin as Y8-7457 and Y8-7458 on both days. Hope the Y8 reg helps your records.

Shuttle12T

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Super and informative TR, interesting so see KLM would not serve hot drinks on a 45min flight, I flew FRA-AMS earlier this year with them which was about similar duration and was able to get a coffee.

Looking forward to the next legs!
Don't miss a trip report: https://voyagereport.wordpress.com

HGL
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:42 am

fixfox wrote:
in a decently comfortable, affordable and orderly manner, nothing more, nothing less.

Hi fixfox and thank you for your kind words. The weather could have been better but the experience was none the less pleasurable. Yes, KLM offered a decent service that couldn't be faulted.

rhuns wrote:
Hope the Y8 reg helps your records.

Hi rhuns and I'm glad you liked the report. Thank you so much for the additional information. I do appreciate it and it does help. Thanks.

Shuttle12T wrote:
interesting so see KLM would not serve hot drinks on a 45min flight

Hi Shuttle12T and thanks for your comments. With two now commenting on the coffee I wonder why it wasn't possible on this flight. Not that I missed it: I was perfectly content with the South African wine. ;)

KLDC10

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:27 pm

Great report! KLM is my favourite airline, and your report shows why - friendly, reliable service at all times. I've never had a bad flight with them, and I'm glad to see that they provided you with an enjoyable experience.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

HGL
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:03 am

Hi KLDC10!

KLDC10 wrote:
Great report! KLM is my favourite airline, and your report shows why - friendly, reliable service at all times. I've never had a bad flight with them, and I'm glad to see that they provided you with an enjoyable experience.

Glad you like it. You're not wrong about the service. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment.