Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Virgin America First Class form Los Angeles to San Francisco

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:09 pm

I first flew with Virgin America two years ago, on a flight from Los Angeles to Chicago. Back then I though they were really cool because they were jsut different from all the other carriers that all just seemed so old-fashioned. And so, when I was looking for a flight to get me from LA to San Francisco on my current trip, of course I figured I'd go with Virgin again.

But sometimes it is probably best to let fond memories remain just that, because the reminiscence is usually better than the real thing. In the sum of all thing, I was rather disappointed by Virgin this time round. More than anything else I found them very obnoxious.

Virgin America, First Class - Los Angeles to San Francisco

debonair

Re: Virgin America First Class form Los Angeles to San Francisco

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Nice TR, as always! VA is still selling tickets for next year - after the merger with Alaskan this 4th Q... Any idea if the brand will continue to survive? What will happen to the service and aircrafts?

CF-CPI

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Nice trip report. Yes, terminal 3 at LAX is dumpy, but back in the day, it was TWA and while there I keep thinking about how it must have been to get Royal Ambassador treatment on a Boeing 707. It is soon to be the home of Delta, who is moving across the way after some extensive renovation.

My first Virgin America flight was also LAX-SFO, but back in 2011. We were served a small snack (grapes, cheese, chips with hummous) with much nicer presentation than here - which is basically a fancy version of Delta's sun chips and snack basket. Back then, they had 'Karma' sparkling wine, which was quite good, but it had disappeared by 2013, to be replaced by another sparkler that wasn't bad, but probably less costly than the Karma.

My experience with the pre-flight is that you have to request wines or bubbly, they will not pass it by default.

Virgin's main claim to fame is the mood lighting and overall atmosphere. I have flown them for transcon meals, and they are decent but nothing spectacular. Their F class at full fare is extremely pricey (at least for those of us in the Bay Area who do not have endless stock options), so I wait for the 40% off sales. I am curious as to how things will go with Alaska, as debonair has also mentioned. I think a shot at JetBlue is in order, as it's possible that it will become the default 'fun' airline out here.

dcajet

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:15 pm

William - indeed. T3 is a dump. It used to house TWA back in the day, (even the carpet still is from those days) so if you close your eyes you can imagine TWA's 747s leaving for LHR from gate 35, on its daily nonstop. Or the L-1011s leaving for STL, HNL or JFK. This piece of LAX history will be gone soon - Delta is taking over it.

Cheers from SF,
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Knightsofmalta
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi all

Thanks for commenting and for your feedback. The first time I flew Virgin America was in 2014. Admittedly, that was on a longer flight form Los Angeles to Chicago. But even so, I think it's quite obvious that in the intervening years the airlines has started to feel the pressure. From what I understand, when Virgin America first started, the aim had been to provide a better service on long transcontinental flights. However, having seen what American Airlines and JetBlue's MINT have to offer, I think Virgin America hasn't really got anything much to offer that the two other carriers don't do much better.

And thanks for the comments about TWA. Those were the days, but I was till too young then. I only managed to fly TWA once, and that was on a Boeing B 767-200 from Zürich to Paris Charles de Gaulle. The aircraft continued to the States from Paris.

Cheers,
William

EA CO AS

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:42 pm

debonair wrote:
VA is still selling tickets for next year - after the merger with Alaskan this 4th Q..

Alaskan? Never heard of 'em... 8-)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DDR

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:13 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
debonair wrote:
VA is still selling tickets for next year - after the merger with Alaskan this 4th Q..

Oh, they compete with Southwestern and have ties to Quantas. :mrgreen:

aeromoe

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:15 pm

DDR wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
debonair wrote:

Oh, they compete with Southwestern and have ties to Quantas. :mrgreen:

I think they all feed cargo traffic to the thoroughbred railroad "Norfolk and Southern".

Moe
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K