Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:04 pm

Welcome to 777Jet’s sixth trip report.

This flight sector is part of a month long trip including eight flight sectors, but given the aircraft involved is a brand new Airbus A350-900XWB, I thought this flight deserved its own trip report. Not only is the aircraft brand new, but this aircraft is Thai’s first A350 and this flight was undertaken during the aircraft’s second day of service (a few hours ago).

Background: My wife and I already had a ticket to Phuket on a TG 747-400 but after our plans changed, we needed to change to a flight a few days earlier. After some browsing on the Thai website, we saw a flight scheduled to be flown by the new A350-900, so I happily booked it. I figured that the chances of an equipment changing between now and the flight were high given that the aircraft had not been delivered yet and because TG are known to pull last minute equipment subs quite often on domestic routes anyway. Having said that, TG has a very diverse and impressive wide-body fleet so you will always end up on an interesting wide-body with TG. Nonetheless, on this flight, I really wanted to fly on the brand new A350!

A few weeks after I changed our booking to fly on the A350, I saw the following A350 ‘Promotion’ on Thai’s website and I felt that the chances of actually having the A350 operate our flight just went up given that our flight number was now confirmed as being A350 operated on the date we booked according to this promotion / news.

Image01 TG A350 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image02 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image03 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image04 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

A few days out from the flight, I heard that the delivery flight was underway so I thought I’d monitor its progress on FlightRadar24.

Here is Thai’s first A350 approaching Bangkok.

Image01 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

HS-THB made a few turns and for a moment, I thought she might land at DMK. But after passing DMK it looked like she would be landing at BKK which meant that I would get to see the approach from my balcony because it’s a clear day.

Image02 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

HS-THB on a short final to BKK.

Image03 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Touchdown! Thai’s first A350, HS-THB ‘Wichian Buri’, has landed! Welcome home!

Image04 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The day before our flight, I decided to keep checking on the progress of Wichian Buri throughout the day. I had quite a bit of other work to do, but FlightRadar24 stayed on throughout the day.

The 4th revenue flight, TG111, CNX-BKK, making progress but a little behind schedule. She has been late all day but has been making up a bit of time.

Image05 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Time to check flightaware to see what equipment type is loaded into the system for our flight tomorrow. The 359 is still scheduled for today’s TG221.

Image06 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Ahhhhh, yes……… The 359 is loaded into the system for tomorrow. Fingers crossed everything goes according to plan………

Image07 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

With 24 hours to go before the flight we completed online check-in. Thai had already assigned us window / middle seats together in the middle cabin, over the wing, which is what we wanted so we did not have to change seats. We also got seats on the side of the plane that would have the gorgeous sunset views.

It’s the day of the flight, and we are on our way to the airport. This is BKK airport from the taxi.

Image20160905_122528 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

A former ‘world’s tallest control tower’…

Image20160905_123259 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

At the bag drop counter, the kind TG agent confirmed for me that the 359 was still scheduled to operate our flight. She gave us our boarding passes and away we went; to gate A6 specifically.

Image20160905_160238 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Our gate would be A6, one of the worst for taking photos because it’s at the end of the terminal wing and there is really only one angle to photo the aircraft from. The jet bridge is also in the way and no side-on shots can be taken. BKK airport is already bad enough for taking photos, with the dirty windows, many support beams, and the 1 meter gap / railing between the gate area and outside glass window.

Anyway, the moment I have been waiting weeks for is finally here. Thai’s first A350 pulls into the gate.

Flight details: Bangkok (BKK) to Phuket (HKT), TG221, Thai Airways A350-900XWB, MSN 044, HS-THB ‘Wichian Buri’, Brand New - 2nd day in revenue service. For those interested, Wichian Buri is a District in Phetchabun Province, located in Northern Thailand.

Image20160905_164401 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The plane was in sight for less than 20 seconds before obstacles came into the frame. What a spotter unfriendly airport…

Image20160905_164448 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_164459 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

I walk up a nearby ramp to try to get a picture of the entire plane, with both wings.

Image20160905_164840 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr


Image20160905_164932(1) by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Different angle of the nose and famous A350 ‘raccoon eyes’…

Image20160905_165246 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The raccoon eyes around the cockpit windows actually look good in real life.

Image20160905_165331 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Boarding time.

Image20160905_175316 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

I found a somewhat clear window on the jet bridge to snap a quick photo through – I should by a lotto ticket! I had some photo taking luck at gate A6 @ BKK…

Image20160905_175319 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Now we are inside. Pictures of the beautiful seats and cabin. This cabin looks very similar to the cabin on the TG 77W I flew on a few weeks ago.

Image20160905_175333 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_175338 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_175344(0) by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

What is a trip report without pics of the safety card???

Image20160905_175457 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_175518 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Quite an impressive looking wing! You can also see one of Thai’s old 737s on the right in this pic.

Image20160905_175553 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

This footrest came in handy throughout the flight.

Image20160905_175734 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Seatback and IFE.

Image20160905_175752 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_175814 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The legroom is excellent and I am 6 feet tall. The seat width is also very good – the most I have experienced in Y before. I could fly long haul in this bird.

Image20160905_175909 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Tray table.

Image20160905_180012 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_180018 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The classy looking cabin.

Image20160905_180419 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_180432(0) by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Nice sized windows, almost as big as the 787 windows, but still with the traditional pull down window shades.

Image20160905_180500 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

My wife found the tail cam view on the IFE before I did because I was busy taking pictures and playing with things…

Image20160905_181043(0) by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_181223 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

We have pushback!

Image20160905_181844 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Checking the controls…

Image20160905_182412 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The BKK control tower, a TG A330, and a PG Airbus in this pic.

Image20160905_182622(0) by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Turning onto the runway.

Image20160905_182822 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

I love this tail cam view…

Image20160905_182833 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The BKK terminal.

Image20160905_182843 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Cleared for takeoff!

Image20160905_182849 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The takeoff acceleration was so quiet and smooth but it also felt powerful. Now we are nearly over the coast line. This view is just awesome.

Image20160905_183141 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_183151 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

What a beautiful sunset. I wanted to sit on this side of the plane because when I flew on this same flight a few weeks ago the sunset was awesome!

Image20160905_183541 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_183600 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

It was hard for me to snap a pic of the engine because of the way the windows were positioned in relation to my seat; this was as good as I could manage.

Image20160905_183609 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

I love this tail cam view… Maybe an airline could set up live streaming from some of their aircraft’s tail cams??? Pay per view???

Image20160905_183637 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

The snack / light meal on this 1 hour flight included absolutely delicious dried longan fruit snacks and a hot Thai green chicken curry wrap. The wrap was delicious and was the exact same light meal I had on TG221 a few weeks ago. The meal service was followed by drink service and the flight attendants were sharp and on the ball!

Image20160905_184311 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_184620(0) by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Various map views on the IFE. The IFE screen was both touch / remote controlled and was very fast / responsive. Well done! This aircraft has the quickest and most responsive IFE screen I’ve experienced yet.

Image20160905_185534 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_185555 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_185626 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_185930 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_191612 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Image20160905_191630 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Thai’s fleet in the Sawasdee magazine. TG’s fleet is getting diverse again now that both 787s and A350s have been introduced recently. I think TG is also going to get the 787-9 to go alongside the 787-8 Dreamliners they already operate.

Image20160905_193804 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

1 x A350 in the TG fleet, so far…

Image20160905_192305(0) by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

We made it safely to Phuket. The landing was very smooth despite some light chop towards the end of the flight. Once the wheels touched the ground the plane stayed down and slowed down so quickly but smoothly and quietly; very impressive!

Image20160905_193235 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

One last cabin shot.

Image20160905_193357 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Now we are parked at the gate. My first A350 flight is over…

Image20160905_193450 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

In summary, the A350 left a very good impression on me. Both the takeoff and landing were so quick, smooth and quiet, yet you could also tell that the aircraft had a lot of power; I’d love to feel the takeoff performance on a 12+ hour flight. The cabin was very modern and the seats had very good width and pitch. Having said that, the seats used in this particular Thai A350 are the type with the seat bottom cushion that slides forward when you recline so you lose some legroom as you recline the seat. The windows were large and provided good visibility despite being slightly smaller than 787 windows and still having the old style pull down window shades. What also made this flight enjoyable was Thai’s legendary service. The crew were sharp and on the ball on this flight and that makes a very big difference to one’s overall experience and impression of an airline. The only issue we had was that it was slightly warm and stuffy in the cabin throughout the flight; not much air seemed to be coming out of the air vents. I am really glad that I got to log my first A350 and that everything went according to plan.

Thank you for reading 777Jet’s sixth trip report.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
theobcman
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Great report with lovely pictures. Very jealous!! I'm out there next year but only A380 or 77W TG options from LHR.
 
caleb1
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:51 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:26 am

Man! That is one sharp looking cabin. I wish airlines here in the U.S. would take note.
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:32 am

theobcman wrote:
Great report with lovely pictures. Very jealous!! I'm out there next year but only A380 or 77W TG options from LHR.


Thank you!

I have not yet flown on the TG A380 but I have flown of their 77W and I was very impressed!

Maybe you could fly one type outbound and the other type inbound?

777Jet
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:35 am

caleb1 wrote:
Man! That is one sharp looking cabin. I wish airlines here in the U.S. would take note.


Agreed!

However... US airlines could acquire all the fancy planes they like but unless the extremely senior dinosaur minded FA's improve their attitude passengers will still avoid them :)

777Jet
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
The777Man
Posts: 6117
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 1999 4:54 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:10 am

Glad you got on the 350 and that you had a nice flight! So configuration in Y is 3-3-3 ? It's not too cramped ?

Thanks for posting !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3939
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:03 pm

Hi 777Jet, thanks for your trip report here. I have been a bit obsessed with seeing this aircraft at some point and then maybe one day, the opportunity to fly on it - since I first read the Finnair trip reports on this new type some time ago, and now your trip report has highlighted the number of airlines with the type now in its fleet. I am looking for forward to seeing the TG A350 when they fly to MEL! It is great that your wife is really enjoying flying and following aviation almost as keenly, like yourself!

Cheers. =
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:10 pm

The777Man wrote:
Glad you got on the 350 and that you had a nice flight! So configuration in Y is 3-3-3 ? It's not too cramped ?

Thanks for posting !

The777Man


Hi The777Man,

I'm glad to have logged the 359 now so if my CX 359 flight coming up gets subbed again it won't bother me as much.

The 3-3-3 config in Y felt great... very, very similar to a 777. The seats were pretty wide and the 3-3-3 A350 felt more roomy than the 3-3-3 787. However, the cabin was a bit warm and stuffy (787 cabin humidity and lower cabin altitude is better). Also, disappointing that Airbus went with the old school pull down window shades.

I'm scheduled to fly on a CX 77W with 3-3-3 seating in a few weeks so with this flight still fresh in my mind I'll be able to compare 3-3-3 in the 777 v A350. In fact, the flight hours before that CX 77W flight is scheduled to be a CX 359 flight so if all goes according to plan it will be a good comparison.

Thank you for your comments.

777Jet
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:15 pm

I made a video, using my phone so not the best quality, of the takeoff showing the tail cam and wing view, as well as a short in-flight tail cam video. I uploaded them to Flickr so I will post the link and see how it goes (I haven't used Flickr for videos before).

Video of Takeoff link (the people in the row behind were having a noisy chat):

Image20160905_182853 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

In-flight Video link:

Image20160905_183824 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

One last pic from the cabin after arriving in HKT, showing the seats with the windows (sorry for the poor quality):

Image20160905_194039 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr
Last edited by 777Jet on Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
tjcab
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:14 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Nice report and wonderful plane. Lucky you to experience this brand new addition to Thai. Did they turn on the mood lighting? Now, is it just my observation or is Qatar the only airline that opted for the lighting strips on the overhead locker racks?
 
User avatar
allrite
Posts: 2612
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:07 am

Thai Airways' range of aircraft is incredible. Surprised they haven't ordered the C-Series and MRJ yet! Maybe the Chinese and Russians could encourage them to select some of their aircraft as well. :)

Nice photos and the cabin looks fantastic. I agree that a streamed video feed from aircraft would be a wonderful thing. Pity that it would cost the airline lots.
I like artificial banana essence!
 
User avatar
HGL
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 3:25 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:21 am

Hi 777Jet.

It's always great to step into a new aircraft. Everything still looks and smells fresh. I am glad that you weren't disappointed by an aircraft swap on the day.

777Jet wrote:
BKK airport is already bad enough for taking photos, with the dirty windows, many support beams, and the 1 meter gap / railing between the gate area and outside glass window.


Sounds as bad as Dubai, though they make it even harder with a pattern on the glass. LOL. Still, you seem to have managed to get some reasonable shots, despite some reflection.

Thanks for sharing.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:43 am

VapourTrails wrote:
Hi 777Jet, thanks for your trip report here. I have been a bit obsessed with seeing this aircraft at some point and then maybe one day, the opportunity to fly on it - since I first read the Finnair trip reports on this new type some time ago, and now your trip report has highlighted the number of airlines with the type now in its fleet. I am looking for forward to seeing the TG A350 when they fly to MEL! It is great that your wife is really enjoying flying and following aviation almost as keenly, like yourself!

Cheers. =


I think next year if we fly TG to BKK we will fly SYD-MEL and then MEL-BKK on the TG 359. Nothing wrong with the 747, but the 359 seats and cabin was more enjoyable than the old girl. Also, the IFE box under the 744 seat gets in my way if I'm in my preferred aisle seat but from what I saw the IFE box on the 359 is much smaller and better positioned more forward (between aisle and middle seat, still leaving plenty of under seat legroom available).
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 am

tjcab wrote:
Nice report and wonderful plane. Lucky you to experience this brand new addition to Thai. Did they turn on the mood lighting? Now, is it just my observation or is Qatar the only airline that opted for the lighting strips on the overhead locker racks?


There was no mood lighting turned on and it was dark for the end half of the flight / landing. I saw one different colour shade on the main cabin lights once but it was constant, nothing fancy like the magnificent Scoot 787 rainbow light show :)
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:50 am

allrite wrote:
Thai Airways' range of aircraft is incredible. Surprised they haven't ordered the C-Series and MRJ yet! Maybe the Chinese and Russians could encourage them to select some of their aircraft as well. :)

Nice photos and the cabin looks fantastic. I agree that a streamed video feed from aircraft would be a wonderful thing. Pity that it would cost the airline lots.


Given Thailand's visa free deal with Russia and vice versa, I too wouldn't be surprised if Thailand ordered Russian planes one day. IIRC the government / air force here might have one or two of the new Russian planes? TG seems to order a similar number of Airbuses and Boeings, I think for political reasons - to keep the usual crowds equally happy. FWIW I believe Thailand's change to military ruling a few years ago and the strengthening friendship with Russia partly underpins the FAA / US authority decision to downgrade TG (politics again).
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:58 am

HGL wrote:
Hi 777Jet.

It's always great to step into a new aircraft. Everything still looks and smells fresh. I am glad that you weren't disappointed by an aircraft swap on the day.

777Jet wrote:
BKK airport is already bad enough for taking photos, with the dirty windows, many support beams, and the 1 meter gap / railing between the gate area and outside glass window.


Sounds as bad as Dubai, though they make it even harder with a pattern on the glass. LOL. Still, you seem to have managed to get some reasonable shots, despite some reflection.

Thanks for sharing.


Now if my next flight on that type gets swapped it won't be so bad, but for me always logging that new type for the first time brings fears of equipment swaps into my head (especially on short haul domestic hops that can easily be swapped out) :)

I've never been to Dubai so thanks for the warning about the patterns on the glass - I remember logging my first 753 at DTW and there were black dots all over the glass that wrecked most of the pics.

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

BTW do the videos work, or do I need to try to link them again???
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
Arq
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:31 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:59 am

HGL wrote:
Hi 777Jet.

It's always great to step into a new aircraft. Everything still looks and smells fresh. I am glad that you weren't disappointed by an aircraft swap on the day.

777Jet wrote:
BKK airport is already bad enough for taking photos, with the dirty windows, many support beams, and the 1 meter gap / railing between the gate area and outside glass window.


Sounds as bad as Dubai, though they make it even harder with a pattern on the glass. LOL. Still, you seem to have managed to get some reasonable shots, despite some reflection.

Thanks for sharing.


FYI, it is actually a crime to be a plane spotter in Thailand. Our 200 years+ laws (Sarcastic icon here, please) state that, taking photo FROM aircraft, and OF the aircraft is illegal. Once I am waiting for Thai Air Asia flight boarding and taking photo of that aircraft, suddenly ground staff announce over the PA directing at me that "taking photo to aircraft is prohibited by law", that's why our airport are among the least spotter friendly in the world. Those spotter friends of mine sometimes were removed from airport perimeter and have their fingerprint collected. Seriously, honestly all these things happen in this country.
 
VapourTrails
Posts: 3939
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:30 pm

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:20 am

777Jet wrote:
Thank you to everyone for your comments.

BTW do the videos work, or do I need to try to link them again???


Yes, the videos work, although on the iPad I had to click on the source numbers file link to open them. Wow. The tail cam looks awesome. The take off roll looked quite bumpy it seemed from that video? The flight then seemed really quiet on climb-out.

Thanks.
 
User avatar
allrite
Posts: 2612
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:18 pm

777Jet wrote:
IIRC the government / air force here might have one or two of the new Russian planes? TG seems to order a similar number of Airbuses and Boeings, I think for political reasons - to keep the usual crowds equally happy. FWIW I believe Thailand's change to military ruling a few years ago and the strengthening friendship with Russia partly underpins the FAA / US authority decision to downgrade TG (politics again).


Ah yes, I see the Thai Airforce have a couple of Sukhoi Superjets and are looking at Russian helicopters and are getting Russian helicopters as well, in return for... rubber? (or rubbers?) :)
I like artificial banana essence!
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Arq wrote:
HGL wrote:
Hi 777Jet.

It's always great to step into a new aircraft. Everything still looks and smells fresh. I am glad that you weren't disappointed by an aircraft swap on the day.

777Jet wrote:
BKK airport is already bad enough for taking photos, with the dirty windows, many support beams, and the 1 meter gap / railing between the gate area and outside glass window.


Sounds as bad as Dubai, though they make it even harder with a pattern on the glass. LOL. Still, you seem to have managed to get some reasonable shots, despite some reflection.

Thanks for sharing.


FYI, it is actually a crime to be a plane spotter in Thailand. Our 200 years+ laws (Sarcastic icon here, please) state that, taking photo FROM aircraft, and OF the aircraft is illegal. Once I am waiting for Thai Air Asia flight boarding and taking photo of that aircraft, suddenly ground staff announce over the PA directing at me that "taking photo to aircraft is prohibited by law", that's why our airport are among the least spotter friendly in the world. Those spotter friends of mine sometimes were removed from airport perimeter and have their fingerprint collected. Seriously, honestly all these things happen in this country.


Thank you for telling me about those laws. I didn't know, but I'm not surprised ;)

Maybe that is why TG always reject my cockpit visit requests! :)

I find DMK to be pretty spotter friendly at most gate FWIW.

The only way I get good clear / clean shots of planes at BKK is from standing on the tarmac after a bus ride to the plane.

Once the nice ground staffer holding the walky-talky, standing at the bottom of the stairs, asked if I wanted her to take my photo in front of the plane so I was happy with that.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:25 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
777Jet wrote:
Thank you to everyone for your comments.

BTW do the videos work, or do I need to try to link them again???


Yes, the videos work, although on the iPad I had to click on the source numbers file link to open them. Wow. The tail cam looks awesome. The take off roll looked quite bumpy it seemed from that video? The flight then seemed really quiet on climb-out.

Thanks.


Thanks for that. I couldn't be bothered opening up a YouTube account to upload the videos when Flickr allowed me.

The takeoff was pretty smooth. The shakes were probably from a combo of bumps on the runway and me trying to hold my phone still in the correct position in front of the IFE screen lol.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:26 pm

allrite wrote:
777Jet wrote:
IIRC the government / air force here might have one or two of the new Russian planes? TG seems to order a similar number of Airbuses and Boeings, I think for political reasons - to keep the usual crowds equally happy. FWIW I believe Thailand's change to military ruling a few years ago and the strengthening friendship with Russia partly underpins the FAA / US authority decision to downgrade TG (politics again).


Ah yes, I see the Thai Airforce have a couple of Sukhoi Superjets and are looking at Russian helicopters and are getting Russian helicopters as well, in return for... rubber? (or rubbers?) :)


And for visa free travel arrangements for the citizens of both nations :)
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
FlyDeltaJetsATL
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:59 am

Hi buddy,

I'm so jealous that you got to fly on a brand new A350! Did it smell new? :)

It would have been good if you got a few pics of the engines or a closer shot of the winglets (whatever they are called on the A350, they look fine!)

I'm also curious how you found the overhead luggage bins?

Thanks for posting another great trip report.

Jesse
FLY DELTA JETS
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:30 am

FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
Hi buddy,

I'm so jealous that you got to fly on a brand new A350! Did it smell new? :)

It would have been good if you got a few pics of the engines or a closer shot of the winglets (whatever they are called on the A350, they look fine!)

I'm also curious how you found the overhead luggage bins?

Thanks for posting another great trip report.

Jesse


Hi Mate!

There was quite a lot of space in the overhead bins; I was impressed.

After going through the 505 pics I took again, I found a few more that might interest you based on your post.

Enjoy!

BTW - There was no 'new' smell to the plane, not like a brand new car smell.


This pic has part of the engine in it ;)

Image20160905_175306 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Closest pic I have on the A350 style winglet / sharklet thingy.

Image20160905_180250 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

Cabin showing overhead bins open.

Image20160905_180338 by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr

One last slightly blurred pic of the seats / cabin just for the fun of it!

Image20160905_175402(0) by Triple Seven Jet, on Flickr
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4286
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a great aircraft to fly in. Can't wait to go in an A350 myself...no idea when that will be though.
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:09 pm

zkojq wrote:
Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a great aircraft to fly in. Can't wait to go in an A350 myself...no idea when that will be though.


It was a pleasure to write the trip report, and obviously to try out the A350.

Does NZ have any plans with the A350?

I'm hoping UA send them to SYD instead of the 787 when they arrive. I find UA's 3-3-3 787's too cramped and will avoid UA T-Pac until something with better seat width comes to SYD for that 14+ hr sector.

I think CX will send them to AKL in a while, at the expense of the A340-300 of course...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
FlyDeltaJetsATL
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:52 am

Hi buddy,

Thanks for those extra pics. The ends of the wings look great!

Now that Thai's MEL A350 service has been delayed, do you intend to try to log a few more TG A350 domestic sectors? Good opportunity.

I believe TG will continue to use their A350 on the current domestic flight numbers until it gets sent to MEL.

Jesse
FLY DELTA JETS
 
GRJGeorge
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:56 am

Did you arrive on 4th Sept at HKT?
I arrived on 4th with Qatar 787 just after 6pm, hoping to have seen the TG A359, knowing it was suppose to do domestic sectors around that time, but missed it there, so you probably arrived while I was waiting outside the terminal.
Anyway, on the 10th we went to BKK with PG, and then parked right next to -THB, so was happy...agree though BKK isn't very photography friendly from inside the terminal.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4286
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:42 am

777Jet wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a great aircraft to fly in. Can't wait to go in an A350 myself...no idea when that will be though.


It was a pleasure to write the trip report, and obviously to try out the A350.

Does NZ have any plans with the A350?

Nope; sadly not. Hopefully they will order some in the future...never say never!

777Jet wrote:
I think CX will send them to AKL in a while, at the expense of the A340-300 of course...

Yup not long now. They just brought the date of the inaugural flight to AKL forward a few weeks. I shall be ready with my camera when it does. :)
First to fly the 787-9
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:39 am

FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
Hi buddy,

Thanks for those extra pics. The ends of the wings look great!

Now that Thai's MEL A350 service has been delayed, do you intend to try to log a few more TG A350 domestic sectors? Good opportunity.

I believe TG will continue to use their A350 on the current domestic flight numbers until it gets sent to MEL.

Jesse


You're welcome.

No more A350 domestic sectors planned for me. Even better. Some TG domestic 747 sectors planned!

I want to log a few more 747s while they're still easy to log.
Last edited by 777Jet on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:45 am

GRJGeorge wrote:
Did you arrive on 4th Sept at HKT?
I arrived on 4th with Qatar 787 just after 6pm, hoping to have seen the TG A359, knowing it was suppose to do domestic sectors around that time, but missed it there, so you probably arrived while I was waiting outside the terminal.
Anyway, on the 10th we went to BKK with PG, and then parked right next to -THB, so was happy...agree though BKK isn't very photography friendly from inside the terminal.


G'day!

I arrived in HKT on the 5th. It was the aircraft's second day in revenue service and second time to visit HKT. We were on time and I think we parked next to a QR 787.

The flight on the 4th was about 2hrs late into HKT IIRC.

THB was kind of late all day on the 4th (first day) and there were bad evening thunderstorms in BKK that delayed its progress even further.

Did you like PG? I was very impressed with the PG service.

I wrote about PG in my other trip report.
Last edited by 777Jet on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:48 am

zkojq wrote:
777Jet wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a great aircraft to fly in. Can't wait to go in an A350 myself...no idea when that will be though.


It was a pleasure to write the trip report, and obviously to try out the A350.

Does NZ have any plans with the A350?

Nope; sadly not. Hopefully they will order some in the future...never say never!

777Jet wrote:
I think CX will send them to AKL in a while, at the expense of the A340-300 of course...

Yup not long now. They just brought the date of the inaugural flight to AKL forward a few weeks. I shall be ready with my camera when it does. :)


NZ does seem to go with Boeing for long haul / wide-body equipment, so maybe no A350 for NZ given their history, size, and that they already have 787s? But, like you said, never say never!
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
FlyDeltaJetsATL
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:15 am

777Jet wrote:
FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
Hi buddy,

Thanks for those extra pics. The ends of the wings look great!

Now that Thai's MEL A350 service has been delayed, do you intend to try to log a few more TG A350 domestic sectors? Good opportunity.

I believe TG will continue to use their A350 on the current domestic flight numbers until it gets sent to MEL.

Jesse


You're welcome.

No more A350 domestic sectors planned for me. Even better. Some TG domestic 747 sectors planned!

I want to log a few more 747s while they're still easy to log.


I remember your 787 trip report so I wanted to ask, could you compare the 787 with the A350 in a few different areas now that you have flown on both types?

Jesse
FLY DELTA JETS
 
User avatar
777Jet
Topic Author
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Brand New Thai A350 - Bangkok to Phuket

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:59 pm

FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
777Jet wrote:
FlyDeltaJetsATL wrote:
Hi buddy,

Thanks for those extra pics. The ends of the wings look great!

Now that Thai's MEL A350 service has been delayed, do you intend to try to log a few more TG A350 domestic sectors? Good opportunity.

I believe TG will continue to use their A350 on the current domestic flight numbers until it gets sent to MEL.

Jesse


You're welcome.

No more A350 domestic sectors planned for me. Even better. Some TG domestic 747 sectors planned!

I want to log a few more 747s while they're still easy to log.




I remember your 787 trip report so I wanted to ask, could you compare the 787 with the A350 in a few different areas now that you have flown on both types?

Jesse


Hi FlyDeltaJetsATL,

So I've only flown on the UA 788 & Scoot 788 & 789, as well as on the TG & CX 359.

If space is your concern, then I'd fly on the 359 as the seats were both wider and from memory had more leg room. The lavs on the 359 were also much better (in terms of space and quality) compared to the 787 lavs.

However, the cabin humidity & pressure on the 787 is better and I felt fresher after the flight. The larger and electronic dimming windows on the 787 are also more useful / fun. Also, the 787 seemed more quiet in the cabin.

I can't say I'd always prefer to fly on one over the other as a passenger; it would come down to the airline / route / flight times / cost and a few other considerations before type when 787 & A350 were options. Then again, if it was a new variant of the type then I'd definitely try to log it ;)

If I owned an airline, I'd go with the 787 though because the cabin width seems slightly more flexible when it comes to seating configs (I could cram 9 abreast in the 787s slightly narrower frame or go with 8 abreast if I wanted). The 787 also seems more advanced despite being a few years older than the A350.

777Jet
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ZKSUJ and 25 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos