Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aleksandar
Topic Author

VW Golf in the sky: My ten Lufthansa flights, part 1

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Hello everybody!

I was once known as more fanatic when it comes to aviation, writing about it, dreaming about it. I guess I reached a stage when it is good to just sit and relax and actually enjoy flying. Great concept with only one missing element: I should not forget my A.net friends!

My first TR was about two years ago. It was a about Tunisair flight which was very emotional to me because those were my first flights after 23 years of not flying at all. If somebody is interested in reading it, you can check it out at:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=979017&p=13154501#p13154501

I am not sure if I mentioned it in my previous report, but my TU flights also brought something unexpected to me: a slight fear of flying and discomfort! Something one airline enthusiast should never mention under any circumstances, but that was it. I had a long absence and I forgot some elements of flying...I forgot how it feels like. So, I felt dizzy and almost collapsed on take-off from BEG and just on my return flight the sensation of actually enjoying flying started to return back to me. In a way, it gave me back my smile. It was still not perfect, but I was getting back to normal. There is another sensation that came to me and that is that. All of a sudden, things are becoming easier. Planes are closer, airports are closer....I don't need to keep my last flight time on my stopwatch the way I did for years after my last JAT flight in 1991.

Due to strange circumstances which most of us do see once in a lifetime when you are almost in love and almost hurting and almost wishing everything to be perfect which seldom is...I ended up in Germany. In fact, I had my first flights on LH to FRA and back before I could think of what I actually wanted to do. So...my arrival day was approaching...I was all dressed up at the airport, checking in for my first Lufthansa flight. Why I mentioned being dressed up. Maybe it is because I am entering my mid-age crisis or shear admiration of airlines and airports but I simply hate being in shorts and flip-flops on a plane. Maybe in some LCC, but never, never while flying in an airline with tradition. It is simply rude. It is so out of question! It is not Aleksandar, who still vividly see a lovely Aviogenex FA in Tu-134A with white gloves on.

OK, let's go back to business. Let's start talking about flying again. Recently, I saw a very funny LH commercial on German TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD9UTBWo51w

November 27th, 2015
LH 1407 BEG-FRA
A319 D-AILP
My expectations were not as low, but also, not as high. I was in my waiting area among the first ones and my plane still didn't arrive. All I knew was that it is going to be A319 and here she was...short and chubby, landing at BEG airport just for me! OK, maybe for about 100 pax more, but she was there for me! All those brochures from LH office...numerous visits, orange timetables, my grey LH pen I used as a student as my lucky charm. Here she was, approaching her parking position and me, with fleet list in my hands eagerly waiting to see the registration of my first LH plane. It was D-AILP "Tubingen" and, trust me, I was among the first ones to jump inside...to see LH loge at the entrance, to be greeted in German. Plane was immaculate inside, it was just as expected. If TU was a big unknown, LH was very well known. Everything from photos was in front of me and it wasn't like that commercial. Entering LH plane was not like entering a beer haus during Octoberfest...it was like entering Burda magazine instead.

First surprise came when we were pushed back. I expected monitors, but all the safety instructions were done manually and no flying maps. Never mind...this is not a problem but more of a sign what Lufthansa is. Everything as immaculate as it can be, and nothing too much....just enough. Take off was fine and it was one of those flights that turned out to be very important to me. This was the flight when I began to REALLY ENJOY FLYING like I used to a long time ago. It was a trip from slight discomfort to a delight in a bad November day. The in-flight meals were just the same as the whole flight. It was just enough for 1.5 hour flight. A sandwich and a choice of drinks. Some would say not much...I would say just enough. The female FAs were all smiles...the guys too serious...not unkind, but definitely not very kind. Just serious. There was a lady with an amazing smile. She could easily work in Burda magazine.

There are some photos from this flight...

My passport and boarding pass

It was the end of November and the weather on the ground was awful
But once at the cruising attitude and everything looks nice and smooth and bright. Even the problems look smaller from above

Sometime over there, I learned to enjoy flying again...no more dizziness..just a pure joy. Thank you, Lufti!

It was time for in-flight service and I chose cheese sandwich. The other choice was salami sandwich, but with some fancy name :D

I took a glass of white wine and a black coffee
It is good to have a glass of wine above clouds

There was enough time for toilet selfie

And we were already in German airspace and soon the decent started. Woow...I love landing in FRA. Here is a small video I made then
https://youtu.be/x9SOHGG90Qk

Also, some photos from FRA

I spent next seven days in Kassel in what was a rather stressful visit....when I look at the photos I see lovely scenes, but when I remember some of the ordeals I doubt I will return. Anyway, let's enjoy in some nice photos

Grimm Brothers Museum

Finally, it was time to go back home. The same double-decker Regio train took my to Frankfurt Hauptbanhof and then to the airport. Ever since that flight, I started to honestly dislike night flight to Serbia. The airport is almost empty...looks a bit deserted. There are few planes to be seen but reflection is such, you can barely see them. People are not very kind and, on that flight in particular I was quite cranky and sad. Not many photos from that flight from me because the battery almost died, but I took a shot of my plane. It was A319 D-AILM

The flight was full and I made a silly mistake not to book my seat in advance. By the time I reached FRA, the only seat left for me was 29B....between two very big guys :D

The service was similar. I remember an older FA with lovely London accent that served us and on that flight I realized that Lufthansa serves beer in glass bottles which surprised me. Is it dangerous?

On both flights, service was nice and efficient. To refer to the title of this TR, Lufthansa service does remind me of VW Golf. There are probably more comfortable, sexier cars around, but this one will never let you down. Just like my flights.

I will continue writing about my other flight with LH this years which were BEG-FRA-TXL-FRA-BEG in April and in last week.

Hope you enjoyed my scribbling and feel free to send me a message here or at http://www.facebook.com/aobradovic1
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

An767

Re: VW Golf in the sky: My ten Lufthansa flights, part 1

Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Well done Aleksandar , you have wet my appetite for Berlin next year

Mal
AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

Aleksandar
Topic Author

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:05 am

Thank you so much, Mel
We might easily see each other there because Berlin is something really special and I will write more about it later.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

lychemsa

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:26 am

Good that Luftie was not on strike.

At least they serve a decent sandwich unlike BA and most others on short flights.

aerdingus

Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:31 pm

I love reading your reports because of your excitement & enthusiam! I had LH for the first time this year DUB - MUC - DUB and found them very efficient and pleasant.
Thanks
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Aleksandar
Topic Author

Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:39 pm

aerdingus wrote:
I love reading your reports because of your excitement & enthusiam! I had LH for the first time this year DUB - MUC - DUB and found them very efficient and pleasant.
Thanks

Thanks a lot..I will write some more soon.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

DDR

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:44 pm

Such a nice trip report. Thank you for sharing your feelings also.

Aleksandar
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:34 pm

DDR wrote:
Such a nice trip report. Thank you for sharing your feelings also.

Thank you so much!
R-E-S-P-E-C-T