Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N776AU
Topic Author

A Quick Trip to a Race ATL-BWI-ATL on Delta

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:44 pm

This trip was under 24 hours. When your cousin offers you a ticket to a race you don’t say no. Seems like I’ve done a lot of flying to races lately, not that I have a problem with that. This was Sunday October 2 and Monday October 3 for the Sprint Cup race at Dover International Speedway.

I woke up really early on Sunday at 4:15 because I was leaving my car at the North Springs Marta station. I work in Roswell and would be heading straight to work after I returned Monday morning. No traffic on Marta during rush hour, at least not in the traffic sense. My flight was at 8:45, so I made extra sure I was on the first train out of North Springs at 6:00. I did well for that. I parked my car at 5:31.
Train across the way waiting for me.
Not a whole lot of people on the train that early on a weekend.

The trip to the airport was right on schedule at 45 minutes.
I didn’t have a lot time to burn as I usually do which was a bit of a shame, so I headed to concourse A where I was leaving from gate A12.
N685DA, my Twitter and Instagram handle was also over at concourse A (also carried me to San Francisco 7 years ago).
N697DL hanging around waiting to go to Detroit
N588NW heading to San Antonio. As of the time I’m writing this it hasn’t returned yet either.
Outside for me was N673DL, one of the older 757s in the fleet.

Delta Air Lines Flight 2025
ATL-BWI
Depart ATL: 8:45 AM (was actually 8:46)
Arrive BWI: 10:32 AM (was actually 10:23)
Boeing 757-200
N673DL
<photoid:2599095>

I boarded with the sky zone since I was in Comfort Plus in seat 20F.
Mostly empty when I got on.
Lots of good stuff happening out the window.

After we pushed we pointed the nose to the south which meant a takeoff from runway 27R.
United ERJ. I feel sorry for whoever was inside, not because it’s United, but because it’s an ERJ.

https://youtu.be/Tx_Itsceg-E
I took a 4k video of takeoff and left the live ATC in on the audio. I figured we’ve all heard the Pratt 2037 spool up enough. The 757 always satisfies with a good takeoff. Image
Immediately after we turned to head eastbound I noticed a familiar landmark, Atlanta Motor Speedway. Seemed very right given that I was going to a race.
We were heading to 37,000 feet. Unfortunately the farther north we went the cloudier it got so there wasn’t much to see. I didn’t see the ground again until we were about 300 feet from landing.
I feel like this photo exposes my inner loser.
https://youtu.be/MSyDbatuq1w
4k video of landing on runway 10. Very cloudy.
A Hawaiian A330 at BWI? I’ll count that among things I wasn’t expecting to see.
Construction everywhere.
We pulled in to gate D29. I actually did have to get over to Dover quickly so I didn’t waste a lot of time getting off.
And on the way out an A320 I don’t see hardly ever.
https://youtu.be/NI79r08ugxM
I made it to Dover and enjoyed the afternoon. Once it was all done I headed back to my hotel in Baltimore because I had an early flight Monday morning.

Monday morning I was up again at 4:00 to drop off my rental car and ride back to the airport. I ended up being dropped off at 4:50. I didn’t have a ton of time to spare, even less than I had in Atlanta, so I walked straight to my gate which was D29.
Not much happening in the check in area.
Or for that matter in the concourse itself.

Delta Air Lines Flight 350
BWI-ATL
Depart BWI: 6:00 AM (was actually 6:03)
Arrive ATL: 7:55 AM (was actually 7:49)
Boeing 757-200
N548US
<photoid:2187352>
A 75H. I’m a huge fan of that layout (although the screens on the 75D are a nice perk).

Boarding started at 5:24 after 37 people had to preboard with grandma because she needs support. I was in Comfort Plus again in 20A so I boarded with the SKY Zone.
Commuting to work on a 757 is way more fun than my car.
Mood lighting making it look nice.
View of not much since it was so dark.
And a nice PTV to top it all off.
We were off at 6:03 and made a long taxi to runway 15R. Since it was foggy and dark there wasn’t much to see or record, so I didn’t pull anything out.
Sun starting to rise.
My version of breakfast at 6:36.
Taking in the sunrise from 38,000 feet.
Catching up on SportsCenter
We started coming down at 7:13, and I knew exactly where we were so it was cool to see familiar landmarks go by.
My hometown, Snellville down below
Not good shots, but I could see my house so that was cool. That’s the second time I’ve been able to do so.
We flew right past the airport for landing on 8R
https://youtu.be/4qsZKKRCWdM
Video of landing on 8R. Nothing super special, although I haven’t landed on 8R in the daylight in quite a while.
We parked at gate A15 where I had to get off and take the train to work.’ Image
N176DN heading to JFK
And one last shot of N548US. After carrying me it was doing a couple round trips to RSW.

It was a good trip. Unfortunately too quick. Always happy to get more time in the air, especially on the 757. Thanks for reading Image
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

TR763

Re: A Quick Trip to a Race ATL-BWI-ATL on Delta

Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:24 pm

Awesome report! Great to have two kinds of 757s on such a short trip.
And I must say I LOVE your notebook. lol

Thanks for sharing!!
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

11725Flyer

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Great trip report. Who would expect to see a HA airplane at BWI? Thanks for all the excellent pictures.

shaneam12

Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:57 am

The HA airplane was there to bring the Oakland Raiders to Baltimore to play the Ravens for the October 2nd preseason game (it flew OAK-BWI-OAK).