Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

De-iced & Delayed, cold onboard a CRJ! (ORD-MSP-GFK on Delta, Jan '16)

Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Hey all!
Coming up to the end of this winter 2015 series, is a set of domestic flights in the mid-western United States, through Delta's major hub in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Find the previous reports in this series here:
DL4695 FAR-MSP 19DEC15 1319hrs 1427hrs CRJ200 N426SW
DL1717 MSP-ORD 19DEC15 1510hrs 1637hrs MD90 N912DN
KL612 ORD-AMS 20DEC15 1630hrs 0715+1hrs B74E PH-BFE
KL871 AMS-DEL 21DEC15 1245hrs 0100hrs+1 B744 PH-BFL
AI401 DEL-CCU 22DEC15 0700hrs 0905hrs B788 (VT-ANQ)
MJ332 CCCU-CMB 25DEC15 1040hrs 1340hrs A320
MJ331 CMB-CCU 28DEC15 0635hrs 0930hrs A320

AI676 CCU-BOM 07JAN16 0600hrs 0850hrs A319 (VT-SCF)
9W495 08JAN16 2140hrs 2315hrs B73H (VT-JFL)
AF191 BLR-CDG 09JAN16 0245hrs 0845hrs B77E (F-GSPS)
AF3602 (DL123) CDG-ORD 09JAN16 1230hrs 1518hrs B76W (N182DN)
DL2223 ORD-MSP 10JAN16 0910hrs 1045hrs B738 (this one!)
DL1956 MSP-FGFK 10JAN16 1121hrs 1247hrs CR2

Find the YouTube video trip report HERE!!!!

Waking up at 6am in the morning wasn’t ideal after 19hrs15mins of flying the previous day, but I guess that’s how things turned out to be. My original plan was to leave Chicago on an evening flight to Minneapolis/St. Paul MN on a Boeing 717, followed by an Airbus A320 flight to Fargo ND. As luck had it, I found a very cheap change fare to change from that planned itinerary to one heading straight to Grand Forks ND. However, this changed to a Boeing 737-800 and a CRJ200, planes that I’ve been on. There would also be a very short transit of 37 minutes. Knowing the regional flights depart from Concourse A&B, and mainlines arrive at Concourse F&G, I had a challenge ahead. The Boeing 717 would’ve been better, but at least I’d be assured to reach Grand Forks (earlier than scheduled, that too), rather than being stuck at Fargo for very long. Oh well. Before going to bed the previous night, I checked that N37700, a 13.8 year old Boeing 737-800W would take me to the twin cities.

Delta’s very helpful app informed me of my gate at Chicago. Boarded the Blue Line one last time to head to O’Hare airport just before 7am.

Reached the airport 45 minutes later, checked in (didn’t look awfully busy), but security took quite some time. No TSA pre-check luck once again, I had to wait for regular security. My bag pack was pulled aside because of my cough syrup in it. The nice security agent tested it for any substance violations, but I was cleared.

Headed over to gate E14, where boarding was about to commence anyway. Got ripped off by buying some super-expensive airport food, but I was hungry, I had no choice!

Boarding commenced pretty much on time. The gate agent gave us advice to put on some warm clothes for the jet bridge because it would be super cold in there, despite the aircraft and terminal being warm. I still find it rather strange that Delta uses the boarding procedure of filling up the Main Cabin from the front because it clogs up the jet bridge and makes passengers wait a lot... But hey it works for them, why not!

I waited to board, just to make sure I don't get it in the cold. However, thanks to Delta's boarding process, I had to wait in jet bridge anyway.
Waiting in the cold.....

Heading for my seat 24A, it looked like a fairly full flight, but some seats were empty. Some seats had a blanket placed, some didn't, which I felt was quite inconsistent.

There was a seatback IFE. It was the same hardware as that on Jet Airways' 737s, while also having the exact same content as the Delta's B737-900ER and B767-300ER. Most of the content requiring payment and being a hammerscreen in itself, I decided to stick to the flight tracker and flight information channels. A flying time of 56 minutes was announced by the captain. He also announced what would be a very interesting half an hour ahead - we would be de-iced, a first for me!

We pushed back at 0907 hours, and parked once again. Flaps were extended so all the snow could be washed away before we departed. This took an anxiously long 25 minutes, it was fun to see all the de-icing fluids do their job! (Footage in the video trip report, here.
Deiced and delayed!

0930 hours, we pushed back further out into the taxi way, before finally firing up the CFM56-7B27 engines. Lots of smoke was created due to cold fluids being burned off :D
Start up video

Captain came over the PA once again, informing us of a long line of departures ahead, and thanking us for our patience. I was getting more and more anxious.

We finally took off at around 0947 hours and flew pretty steep actually!
Take off from Chicago video

We soon leveled off at our cruising altitude of 28000 feet. Snow clad land all the way, it was pretty to see, but not so nice to know it'd be very cold out. Service began. Morning flights usually have a variety of 'food', peanuts and cookies with pretzels. However, there only were pretzels. Kinda sad. I went for a coke and water, with the pretzels.

Snowy day!

Nose dipped at 1020 hours, we started our descent into the Twin Cities. Was a pretty quick descent followed by a smooth touchdown on to runway 30L at 1044 hours.
Landing & taxi to gate @ MSP

Taxiing took some time, precious minutes just ticking away. The Atlanta based crew announced that connecting flight information would be on the screens at the terminal.

Headed out as soon as I could, rushing to one of the screens around. The phone application said Gate A6, but screens around showed gate A13. A last minute gate change, and a longer walk. It was 1057, I only had about twenty minutes to really run across the pretty big airport in the Twin Cities.....

A last minute change of flights - there was nothing much that could've been done. Add to that, some things that really could not have been prevented. A snowstorm, that is. While Delta cannot (and should not be) blamed, its all just very unfortunate. Oh well. I was pleased that I made it to MSP to begin. But making it to the gate was another story.....

Part 2 will be out within a few weeks :) Stay tuned!

Regards
CollegeAviator

My other trip reports:
Air India's hybrid babybus from Kolkata to Mumbai (Jan '16, Y) (video report)
Delays and despair: stressed out in the middle seat! (Jet Airways B737 Mumbai - Bengaluru, Jan '16)
Air France's NEW Economy (B777-200ER, Bengaluru to Paris, Jan '16) (video report)
Delta's aged B767-300ER across the Atlantic! (CDG-ORD in Y, Jan '16) (video report)

My last flight on Kingfisher Airlines (and 2 other Jet flights, May '11)

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Re: De-iced & Delayed, cold onboard a CRJ! (ORD-MSP-GFK on Delta, Jan '16)

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:50 am

And finally, the final part of my winter 2015/16 trip back home!
Continuing from where I left off, I had just made it to MSP from ORD on a flight that got delayed by the weather. I had around about 25 minutes to run from Concourse F to Concourse A (which, for those of you unfamiliar with MSP, is a pretty long walk). Here's how the trip went before this flight.....
DL4695 FAR-MSP 19DEC15 1319hrs 1427hrs CRJ200 N426SW
DL1717 MSP-ORD 19DEC15 1510hrs 1637hrs MD90 N912DN
KL612 ORD-AMS 20DEC15 1630hrs 0715+1hrs B74E PH-BFE
KL871 AMS-DEL 21DEC15 1245hrs 0100hrs+1 B744 PH-BFL
AI401 DEL-CCU 22DEC15 0700hrs 0905hrs B788 (VT-ANQ)
MJ332 CCCU-CMB 25DEC15 1040hrs 1340hrs A320
MJ331 CMB-CCU 28DEC15 0635hrs 0930hrs A320

AI676 CCU-BOM 07JAN16 0600hrs 0850hrs A319 (VT-SCF)
9W495 08JAN16 2140hrs 2315hrs B73H (VT-JFL)
AF191 BLR-CDG 09JAN16 0245hrs 0845hrs B77E (F-GSPS)
DL1828 ORD-MSP 10JAN16 0910hrs 1045hrs B738 (N37700)
[url=DL1828 ORD-MSP 10JAN16 0910hrs 1045hrs B738 (N37700)]DL1828 ORD-MSP 10JAN16 0910hrs 1045hrs B738 (N37700)[/url]
DL1956 MSP-FGFK 10JAN16 1121hrs 1247hrs CR2 (this one!)

Find the YouTube video trip report link HERE!

Gate A13. Before that, I had to run to the washroom. A long walk (or run?) was ahead. This turned out to be a bad choice because I missed the tram to get to concourse A/B by about a few seconds. Gaaaahhhhh!!!!
Just missed it!

A long three minute wait felt like thirty three minutes. It was 1101 hours, nineteen minutes to departure. I did not bother seeing how long prior to departure time does Delta close barding gates. If they got delayed out Chicago (thanks, nature :P ) it had to be on them to put me on the following flight....

Onboard...lets get going already!

Concourse A...

I got to the gate after a lot of huffing and puffing. 1113 hours, just seven minutes to departure! ‘You made great time!’ said the nice lady at Gate A13. Another young lady, presumably a UND student too, boarded this flight from Chicago. The jet bridge door opened for us, it was cold in there too! I was soon about to board a CRJ200…registration unknown! But more importantly, I MADE IT!

Not a nice welcome at the door. ‘What is your seat number?’ asked Donna, the only flight attendant. ‘7D’, I said, and yet she insisted on checking my boarding pass. Okay, cool then. Took my seat and relaxed. I made my last flight! This was a very hectic trip for me indeed.

The Captain gave us a few details of the flight. It would be a very cold 10F at Grand Forks, we’d cruise at 26000 feet for our quick 54 minute hop to Grand Forks. Pushed back at 1123 hours, three minutes late. Both engines fired up, followed by a short taxi behind a lovely Air Canada CRJ-200, and blasted off into the skies like a rocket!
[url=iARkLAUh0ig]Start up video[/url]
[url=LypkkmfeZB0]Take off video[/url]

Banked and set course towards North-North West. Service began. Interestingly, unlike all domestic flights with Delta (including SkyWest and Compass Airlines), this Endeavor Air flight was a change only flight, meaning that no cards accepted, the exact opposite of all my DL flights so far! I found the seats on Endeavor to be much more comfortable than those on SkyWest.

It was another flight flying over a lot of snow, a snowy Minnesota. Service began, the flight attendant went about her job. I requested cookies and peanuts (finally!), ginger ale and water. She said she could only give me one of the drinks, and the other once the entire plane was served. In a stone cold manner. Wow, that was nice of her! Once she was done, she gave me the glass, with what looked like a fussy and irritated attitude. Anyway.

A quick restroom visit, finally on the CRJ!

Descent started at 1204, we slowly came closer to land...

My trip was coming to a quick end!

[url=df5PaxcwuuU]Landing video[/url]
Touchdown into a very snowy Grand Forks, announcements were made about arrival. A Detroit MI based crew served us today. Pretty nice! Docked at Gate A1. I waited to get off because I had no flights after this, up until May at least! The Captain said goodbye to everyone from his seat, while the flight attendant, Donna thanked most people, except me. Kinda got the feeling that I was being racially profiled? Oh well.

I found out that N800AY flew me into Grand Forks. Baggage came out pretty quickly, I met my friends and I was on my way back into a snow cold Grand Forks, ready to tuck in to the bed of a warm dorm room, and to start my second semester at UND!

A pretty non existent flight with Endeavor Air for Delta Connection, if that makes sense. I made the flight, I was relieved to be onboard. The less said about the crew member, the better. I quite liked the comfy seats on the CRJ.

And finally, once again, find the YouTube video trip report link HERE!

Until my next reports, that includes Iron Maiden's B747, and two B757s! :)

Regards
CollegeAviator

My other trip reports:
Air India's hybrid babybus from Kolkata to Mumbai (Jan '16, Y) (video report)
Delays and despair: stressed out in the middle seat! (Jet Airways B737 Mumbai - Bengaluru, Jan '16)
Air France's NEW Economy (B777-200ER, Bengaluru to Paris, Jan '16) (video report)
Delta's aged B767-300ER across the Atlantic! (CDG-ORD in Y, Jan '16) (video report)
De-iced & Delayed, cold onboard a CRJ! (ORD-MSP-GFK on Delta, Jan '16) (ORD-MSP video report) (MSP-GFK video report)

My last flight on Kingfisher Airlines (and 2 other Jet flights, May '11)
To India's Orange City: Mumbai - Nagpur - Mumbai on Jetlite & Tadoba National Park (May 2011)

KLDC10

Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:58 pm

Great report and pictures! Thanks for sharing. Delta Mainline service is consistently good, but I tend to avoid the regional carriers because of the crappy service you described above, which is, sadly, not uncommon. Of course it isn't great for Delta either, because passengers receive a bad impression of "Delta" despite the flight being operated by an entirely different company.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:02 am

KLDC10 wrote:
Great report and pictures! Thanks for sharing. Delta Mainline service is consistently good, but I tend to avoid the regional carriers because of the crappy service you described above, which is, sadly, not uncommon. Of course it isn't great for Delta either, because passengers receive a bad impression of "Delta" despite the flight being operated by an entirely different company.

Thank you for your reply, KLDC10! :)
I recently flew a major USA airline's regional operator, and boy did they screw up big time! :(
It ruined my entire winter's plans, and it got me to dislike the main airline, as much as the regional operator (the situation was not handled very well by either). The main airlines do take responsibility for the regional's delays/mishandling, and that's where it gets a bit dirty...

KLASM83

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Thanks for the report! Made me miss GFK (and the upper Midwest) for a bit. But just a bit. Eight years is enough lol.

GFK isn't much for air service, but at least one can see the aircraft registrations when you get there!
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

11725Flyer

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Whew! What an excellent report. I've only been through MSP a few times, so I appreciated seeing all the pictures.

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:54 am

KLASM83 wrote:
Thanks for the report! Made me miss GFK (and the upper Midwest) for a bit. But just a bit. Eight years is enough lol.

GFK isn't much for air service, but at least one can see the aircraft registrations when you get there!

Hi there, thank you for dropping by! :)
Nice to see someone familiar with the area - GFK is pretty fun in the winter. It snowed a little late this year, but once it snowed, all hell broke lose! :P
GFK is a tiny airport, making it a perfect destination for DL to mint money out of, while Allegiant flies to a few holiday destinations out of GFK, which is nice!

11725Flyer wrote:
Whew! What an excellent report. I've only been through MSP a few times, so I appreciated seeing all the pictures.

Thank you for your reply! I didn't cover MSP as well as I'd like here - stay tuned for my next report (tomorrow!) which has a lot of MSP in it.
Cheers!

CollegeAviator

cwa2toa

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:04 am

Nice report. One of my son's friends graduated from UND and then worked for them as a CFI. He's now flying for Compass and loves it. It's his dream, and he's fulfilled it. ALways glad to see him when he comes back to LAX.
We’ll pick a star
in the twilight canopy
and search the world
for the sights you long to see.
Your heart is young,
you’re alive, so come with me.

TWA, up, up, and away!
:airplane:

KLASM83

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:24 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Nice to see someone familiar with the area - GFK is pretty fun in the winter. It snowed a little late this year, but once it snowed, all hell broke lose! :P
GFK is a tiny airport, making it a perfect destination for DL to mint money out of, while Allegiant flies to a few holiday destinations out of GFK, which is nice!
[CollegeAviator

Sure is! I took a lot of the G4 services from GFK. Also did UA when they were in town. Was really handy for going back to LAS. I miss the days of NW and their DC-9's and SAAB 340's as well.

Quite a sleepy place, without Alpine and FedEx
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:45 pm

cwa2toa wrote:
Nice report. One of my son's friends graduated from UND and then worked for them as a CFI. He's now flying for Compass and loves it. It's his dream, and he's fulfilled it. ALways glad to see him when he comes back to LAX.

That is so great! I wish him well flying around in the skies, I'm sure he's doing great :D Thank you for your reply :)

KLASM83 wrote:
Sure is! I took a lot of the G4 services from GFK. Also did UA when they were in town. Was really handy for going back to LAS. I miss the days of NW and their DC-9's and SAAB 340's as well.

Quite a sleepy place, without Alpine and FedEx

I did hear that UA once had flights to DEN... But they couldn't do much to compete with DL's strong presence.
That said - FAR is crazy! DL to MSP, AA to DFW/ORD, UA to DEN/ORD...and now FedEx... Yep, GFK is quiet.

I plan on sharing a GFK-FAR-Crookston-GFK report soon :)

CollegeAviator

VapourTrails

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:39 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Flaps were extended so all the snow could be washed away before we departed. This took an anxiously long 25 minutes, it was fun to see all the de-icing fluids do their job!

Thanks for the photos, explanation and video of this procedure. It sure does add time to the turnaround and connections for pax. Yes, I like the smoke effect too!

Nice TR. It is interesting to be travelling in those conditions, but not that that should stop anyone!

Cheers. =