VapourTrails
Topic Author

Remote Island Paradise - Lord Howe Island, Australia - Tasman Sea South Pacific | QF QantasLink Dash 8 -200 - Part 1

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:22 am

Remote Island Paradise - Lord Howe Island, Australia - Tasman Sea South Pacific | QF QantasLink Dash 8 -200 - Part 1 | BNE - LDH

Background to the Trip

I had never seriously thought about visiting Lord Howe Island – that is, until I flew past it on a flight from NLK – SYD in 2015. I mentioned in that subsequent trip report on A.net that when I happened to look up from my book, and down at the Tasman Sea, I saw a beautiful crescent shaped island with its natural lagoon – stunning – I must go there! This trip then came along a bit sooner than expected, and 2016 was the year.

We booked a package deal through a travel agency in the new year 2016. The original plan was to go for five days in September, but the type of accommodation we wanted was in short supply. Turns out this was a blessing, as we managed to get what we wanted, for seven days in August, at a cheaper rate.

It can also be hard to get available flights to LDH due to limited tourism numbers (maximum 400 at any one time on the island); small aircraft – the DHC -200, and limited flights (weather pending) – daily (or most days) from Sydney and weekends from Brisbane and/or Sydney.

Our plans were finalised in January, and the tickets were issued in July after the fully paid up package deal was finalised in June. There were no issues at all during this process. LDH is a domestic flight so it was quite straight-forward and no hassle, once the details were confirmed.

I don’t normally take out travel insurance for domestic flights, but this was a package deal and at more expense, and now, in hindsight, travel insurance to LDH or a remote island is a must, as the incidence of the flight been cancelled is around a one in three odds.

We met a couple on the island who did not take up travel insurance and were stranded in SYD for two days waiting to fly out, therefore with some out of pocket with expenses unforeseen, only a portion of which were covered by the airline. Risk management – take out travel insurance if you visit LDH. :airplane:

So I then linked the package deal flights to my QF app (rather than an integrated at time of booking like I normally would for a direct self-service booking).

:airplane:

I am the first to say, I don’t (like to) compare travel destinations - and take them for what they are, but I am going to evaluate here. Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island are often spoken about together. A said, we did Norfolk Island in 2015, and so I would like to mention it also in this trip report now that I’ve been to both.

Lord Howe Island

Lord Howe Island is a crescent-shaped volcanic remnant in the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand, 600 kilometres (370 miles) directly east of mainland Port Macquarie, and about 900 kilometres (560 miles) south-west of Norfolk Island.

It is around 10 km long and between 2.0 km and 0.3 km wide with an area of 14.55 square kilometres, 3.98 square kilometres of that comprises the low-lying developed part of the island. The population is around 300 permanent residents. Cars are restricted - so bicycles are the best way to get around the island.

The Lord Howe Island Group is part of the Australian state of New South Wales. The island's standard time zone is UTC+10:30, or UTC+11 when daylight saving time applies. That puts it half an hour ahead of the Australian mainland. The currency is the Australian dollar.

Along the west coast there is a sandy semi-enclosed sheltered coral reef lagoon. Most of the population lives in the north, while the south is dominated by forested hills rising to the highest point on the island, Mount Gower (875 metres or 2,871 feet). The Lord Howe Island Group comprises 28 islands, islets and rocks.

The first reported sighting of Lord Howe Island took place on 17 February 1788, when Lieutenant Henry Lidgbird Ball, commander of the Armed Tender HMS Supply was en-route from Botany Bay to found a penal settlement on Norfolk Island.

On the return journey, Ball sent a party ashore on Lord Howe Island to claim it as a British possession.

Lieutenant Henry Lidgbird Ball, named the island Lord Howe Island after Earl Richard Howe, First Lord of the Admiralty.

It subsequently became a provisioning port for the whaling industry, and was permanently settled in June 1834. When whaling declined, the 1880s saw the beginning of the worldwide export of the endemic kentia palms, which remains a key component of the island's economy. The other continuing industry, tourism, began after World War II ended in 1945.

UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) records the Lord Howe Island Group as a World Heritage Site of global natural significance.

Most of the island is virtually untouched forest, with many of the plants and animals found nowhere else in the world.

Other natural attractions include the diversity of the landscapes, the variety of upper mantle and oceanic basalts, the world's southernmost barrier coral reef, nesting seabirds, and the rich historical and cultural heritage. (Source: Wikipedia, 2016).

Prior to the flight, I spent a few days in Brisbane. August (winter) in Brisbane for southern, cold-climate people is just the best. The trees have leaves on them, and also beautiful colourful flowers – I think I repeated myself a few times when there, when I said, that it is hard to realise it is actually winter when you’re in Queensland.

With this being my second visit to the Sunshine State, with a longer stay this time, I had opportunities to travel locally in the few days we had before departing on our trip. This involved a trip along the Bruce Highway, to Maroochydore, Caloundra, which are all part of the Sunshine Coast. While densely populated areas in this day and age, they were still nice touristy places, with white sand and pleasant outdoor winter weather.

Image courtesy of Great Circle Mapper.

:airplane: QF2258 - Brisbane Domestic Airport Terminal D (BNE) to Lord Howe Island Airport (LDH).

Flight time: approximately 1 hour 45 minutes + add on 30 minutes for the time zone difference.

We had checked in the day before, so it was typical Queensland, not rushing about for anything or anyone, as we got our lift to the airport mid-morning for a midday flight, with plenty of time to make our way from home to the flight leisurely, which is the whole point of a trip where time is not important in the larger scheme of things. The Bag Drop and security was not busy so that process was pleasantly quick.

For this trip, I visited the Qantas Club Lounge for the first time, as a guest. The Lounge at BNE was quite large and not really busy – albeit not having a lot to compare it to so far.

The breakfast menu was out. Now I had been to both Qantas Club and a Qantas Business Class Lounge, I could see that the former was more basic, as I had been briefed - no scrambled egg and croissant here, that I enjoyed a few days ago in Canberra. Ham, cheese tomato toasties, and self-service tea and coffee I helped myself to. Not that that is a problem, I had just never explored the Lounges prior to 2015 so didn’t know how they were tailored to the customer or what they offered.

The final days of the 2016 Rio Olympics were on. The day menu came out during the morning and there was a nice salad on offer. We were there for two hours, making the most of the time and using the Wi-Fi on our devices for the last time that week, telling people who didn’t already know on social media where we were off to, and please don’t contact us because we’re off the grid, sense of relief really. Go retro lifestyle!

I took a few photos but this was the only discreet one where people’s privacy was not invaded. The Lounge is in an L shape design and definitely gives a sense of space, there seemed to be a lot of walking to do, a good thing. Not a lot of views though.

It was time to go to the gate, which was not far from the Lounge, at Gate 1.

The incoming flight had not yet arrived, so it was time to sit and wait and have some airport watching time. I did not know QantasLink had their own transit buses!

The incoming flight from LDH arrived. Yes, the Dash 8 -200 is small, or short, and I nicknamed it in my mind ‘The Cigar’ from then on. The tail looks large in comparison to the fuselage. I haven’t seen one of these aircraft for a long time, I may have been on one many years ago to and from DPO, but my wait was over to have another flight, on an aircraft type that may not be around for that much longer?

Having learnt on A.net that this is the only aircraft type that QF used to LDH because of the runway length essentially, it has made me keen to now experience what makes this aircraft so important for this route, and also have some thoughts for the future, and what its successor might be.

Although they appear and are of course workhorses of the Qantas / QantasLink fleet, the livery looked faded and neglected – compared to the Q400 and 738.

However, we were buoyed by the fact that a dear family friend who was once an aircraft engineer and had worked on the type, had assured us that it was a great aircraft to fly on and maintain and very reliable, and so I felt reassured – all that water we had to cross for one - seems so much more in a smaller aircraft.

Previous crew from the incoming flight.

Photo of our aircraft for the journey, VH-TQX from the A.net database:

I took the following photos from another part of the domestic terminal before the flight from BNE back to CBR, but is shows the embarkation and departure for the LDH flight from another angle.

I looked around the see who else was boarding our flight. Everyone looked relaxed, like I was feeling. As this was a domestic Dash 8 QantasLink flight, but a new destination, essentially it was a flight experience I was very familiar with.

Unlike our 2015 Norfolk Island trip, which was an international ZK A320 flight at the time, and currently is still, although is actually now a domestic flight - via the international terminal, with the international airline.

Norfolk Island was in 2016 – the year after our journey, administratively folded back or ‘overturned’ into the Australian scheme of things after the end of a period of self-rule, much to their chagrin. Lord Howe Island has a much more simplified and straight-forward history and this did show.

Finally, after all the operational preparations were made, our flight was called! We boarded and took our seats at Row 5 (all Economy Class).

The luggage limit on every LDH flight is 14 kilograms checked in and 7 kilograms carry on. The 7 kilograms is standard but the 14 is less than the usual domestic allowance for economy of 23 kilograms, allowing for the smaller aircraft and airport.

They didn't weigh us but they do on the Lord Howe Island departure if the flight will be full (they did indeed do this on our outbound flight, even though it was not full).

There were 36 seats, 9 rows, 2-2 configuration (see ‘Further information and related readings’ at the end of the trip report e.g. Qantas Seat Maps for more information on this).

The flight was not full, and there were about six spare seats. The aircraft was up to the airline’s usual very clean and tidy standard.

The weather was fine, warm and light breeze. We were soon on our way!

Another of the small fleet of QantasLink -200, -TQZ.

A great view of BNE. Gate 1 is on the far right.

Aerial views of part of BNE’s new parallel runway under construction.

Port of Brisbane. Being in a smaller, slower aircraft than a jet, I appreciate the scenery on climb-out and more time to view landmarks like these.

The beautiful beach of Moreton Island, and the Coral Sea.

I made an error in my last trip report, and mistook Bramble Bay, (the embayment of) Moreton Bay near BNE, forgive me, I am not a local! So I am careful here to be correct that this is Moreton Island and not North Stradbroke! I need to get to Queensland more often you see.

I was impressed by the refreshments or lunch on offer – up to QantasLink’s usual standard once again, and it was lunchtime, but I wasn’t sure what to expect here, given that it was a flight with weight restrictions and it was a small aircraft. It is always better to be nicely surprised, than have an expectation and be disappointed.

There was also complimentary tea and coffee, soft drink and wine.

This meal was just right for the occasion.

We settled into and enjoyed the flight. It got a little cloudy across the Tasman, but the flight was smooth.

I don’t remember much about the seat-belt sign, but I didn’t need to get up during the entire flight. Amazing!

After an announcement from the flight deck, it was also a reminder to change our clocks on our phones and devices. They wouldn’t operate on the island anyway, but it is just one of those things you just do it anyway!

Turns out, the iPhones changed their time anyway, without a tower or satellite signal anyway after we landed and switched off flight mode.

The first of two stages of uncomfortable parts of the flight was when the air temperature got quite hot in the cabin, but it did cool slowly after that. Phew, makes me feel claustrophobic, things like that.

The flight seemed to go really quickly, despite there being very little to look at out the window!

Arrival to Lord Howe Island

The island came into view, and soon we were on final approach. We landed from the north heading south (over the lagoon), which is the most often used approach it seems.

Here is a photo from the A.net database which shows the pilot’s view of the final approach:

So this is where the otherwise smooth flight got really bumpy! It seemed to happen all of a sudden and took some pax by surprise. Of course, one woman screamed – the obligatory shriek, which didn’t make the duration any more comfortable for the rest of us.

No need to worry we found out later, apparently it is quite normal (the turbulence). I did hear (eavesdrop) and also got the general impression that the majority of the pax where not used to travelling in a smaller turboprop aircraft and this might have been unsettling as well. But hey, this is not St Barts! (Saint Barthélemy in the Caribbean).

We made it down! At least that is how we were feeling!

We disembarked and made the short walk to the terminal. Our host was waiting to collect us and drive us to our accommodation, which was about five to ten minutes away, with the speed limit being 25 km/h.

The mini buses or people-movers are probably the most common type of vehicle on the island, for the purposes of driving tourists around, particularly after dark, or when giving groups of people lifts to and from the airport or to the dining venues and back.

On the way we were given an introductory talk about the island and a short tour. Our accommodation was at the other end of the island so there was time for this. We were the only ones on the bus.

We were really pleased with our accommodation, and we settled in.

View from our accommodation.

It didn’t take long to say, what is that thing up on the hill, is that …a plane wreck?!

Not long after this, we saw people walking up there. Later that day, before dinner, we eventually found the track ourselves, which involves going to the beach first – in the other direction. Thankfully then, further up, the ground did not get too muddy, as the walk was only for the able-bodied and sure-footed, and there had been cattle about as well leaving not so little messages (cow pats).

At the start of the short walk there was some information.

By the way, the brush and dip (for shoes) in the background was a quarantine and biosecurity measure.

Biosecurity was not pushed upon us during our stay, I don’t know if there are peaks and troughs of vigilance and practice with regard to how strictly it is enforced at any one time, but it seemed to me that it was under a high degree of control at the time of the visit.

The opportunity to see a plane wreck, or some of, in situ, was not something to see very often and it was a sombre and quiet experience.

View back to the accommodation.

View looking south.

That evening, our host gave us and other visitors a lift to the Bowling Club, which, along with the Golf Club, has the best meals on the island IMHO.

The accommodation has satellite TV, like Norfolk Island, which I learnt was called VAST (Viewer Access Satellite Television), a satellite-delivered, broadcasting service for people in remote areas, which has a few channels / stations, think back to circa 1999 (Australia) – and offered both government and commercial, which is all that is needed here.

It also answered my question on Norfolk Island about why the commercials are all from remote Western Queensland and Central Australia.

It was good to have this, as the evenings were dark, the mornings were for some relaxation and slow start to the day, the weather isn’t always good for being outdoors, and it was the only way to know what was going on in the outside world.

Day 1 – Settling in and touring around

The next morning, our first full day, we visited the Lord Howe Island Museum and the adjoining Coral Cafe. Both were definite repeat visits throughout the stay and very enjoyable stops. Then we got our transport for the week, bicycle hire, and visited the local supermarket to get some supplies, then rode home.

The supermarkets, yes, there is more than one, or they really are a general store, is expensive to shop in, but you expect that on a remote island, and buy accordingly.

Money slips through your hands very easily here, and cash is preferred. Electronic transactions are available but not everywhere. We were advised to take cash, but still had to withdraw cash while there. A week is an advisable balance for touring and seeing and trip budget planning as the high daily costs of staying on the island cannot be overlooked when planning a holiday to Lord Howe Island.

The weather so far we were lucky with, mid-teens Celsius to low twenties, light winds! Cool but warm – a pleasant start. Given that, it was time to also go and book a snorkelling trip on the lagoon for during the week, but we were advised by the friendly tour operator that it must be soon - while the weather is favourable! So Monday (Day 2) it was to be.

The afternoon involved going on a leisurely hike – or so we thought, five kilometres return, on the Max Nicholls Memorial Track, via Old Settlement Beach, over a hill with a well-made track with steps, to North Beach, which was the beach in the approach photos from the flight.

The track was steep and hard going, and really showed my fitness level which was tested. It was worth it though, to be on North Beach, particularly late on a winter’s day with the light shadows. We saw some kayakers, hey kayaking around would have been easier, except for the things we carried with us perhaps bit awkward via that method.

Had a well-earned rest, but didn't go on to Mt Eliza. We got back at dusk, which was then followed by two days of me not being able to walk properly due to overworked calf muscles. Yikes!

Lord Howe Island can be visited by all ages, but if your mobility and fitness level is average or below, you can’t partake in all the activities, and would probably need to hire a car, which are limited and need planning for. Walking on the flat is fine if the weather is good and you don’t need to carry too much.

Unlike Norfolk Island, I lost a bit of weight on this trip. Having a normally healthy, but fairly sedentary lifestyle back home, this environment reminded me of my childhood lifestyle of cycling and burning up kilojoules in a more outdoor active environment, and not worrying too much about diet, in that sense.

The start of the walking track to Old Settlement Beach.

North Beach.

The view from above Old Settlement Beach.

This is one of the few pieces of information I came across about first / early settlement.

Thank you for reading and/or browsing so far!

I will continue this trip report in Part 2, which I will upload as soon as I can.

The rest of our adventure involves: snorkelling in a marine park; plane-spotting for the flight that was cancelled; rain, rain and more rain; a windy day, but the plane-spotter’s flight arrived; more touring, fish-feeding and kayaking; and of course, the flight back to BNE, and more anecdotes, and the evaluation.

Cheers. =

Further information and selected related readings and viewings:
Qantas Seat Maps, QantasLink Dash 8-200, The Qantas Source, 2016, http://www.theqantassource.com/dash8200seatmap.htm
Qantas Seat Maps, de Havilland Dash 8 (DH2), SeatGuru, 2016, https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qanta ... h_8100.php
Brisbane Airport's New Parallel Runway, Brisbane Airport Australia, 2016, http://www.bne.com.au/corporate/bne-maj ... lel-runway
Lord Howe Island Airport, Lord Howe Island Board, 2017, http://www.lhib.nsw.gov.au/infrastructure/airport
Cockpit ride into beautiful Lord Howe Island, Todd Chapman, 2009, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIlKnSH ... g&index=63
Lord Howe Island approach and landing, Danack, 2012, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZKKp7 ... g&index=77
QantasLink Dash 8 takeoff at Lord Howe - side view, wiiwheel64, 2013, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVud-Lo ... g&index=76
Lord Howe Island by air, teded38, 2008, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYrBAND ... s&index=62
By flying boat to Lord Howe Island 1931 – 1974, Hollpolls Sunshine Coast Railway, 2012, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmTVKs1 ... g&index=61
Lord Howe Island, Australia’s best kept secret, The Travel Bug, 2010, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzfLwQk ... g&index=75
Lord Howe Island, Australia in HD, Selmesfilms, 2013, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZW4aK ... g&index=74

Previous trip reports:
2016 QF QantasLink 712 CBR-BNE | Business Class: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1343905
2015 Baby Boeings | Qantas 717 CBR-BNE | 738 BNE-CBR: viewtopic.php?t=980379
2015 Back On The Devil: QantasLink 717 and Q400 | CBR-MEL | MEL-DPO | DPO-MEL | MEL-CBR: viewtopic.php?t=979899
2015 Norfolk Island, NZ A320 International & ATR72-600 VA Domestic | Part 1 | CBR-SYD-NLK: viewtopic.php?t=979527
2015 Norfolk Island, NZ A320 International & ATR72-600 VA Domestic | Part 2 | NLK-SYD-CBR: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=979615
2014 QF QantasLink 717 Trip Report | CBR-MEL: https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... ain/262687

A.net member: 2001-2004, 2014-

lychemsa

Re: Remote Island Paradise - Lord Howe Island, Australia - Tasman Sea South Pacific | QF QantasLink Dash 8 -200 - Part 1

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 am

If I am correct the flights to Lord Howe are expensive.
There is a very fancy expensive hotel there but the swimming pool is tiny.

KruegerFlaps

Re: Remote Island Paradise - Lord Howe Island, Australia - Tasman Sea South Pacific | QF QantasLink Dash 8 -200 - Part 1

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:28 am

Hi VapourTrails!

I have been looking forward to seeing your report and the wait was worth it.

It's pleasing to see that the in-flight service was up to the usual high standards. The lunch pack looks quite decent and more substantial than the breakfast the other mob offered between SYD and PER!

Those views on approach to Lord How Island must have been awesome. What a splendid choice of destination.

Interesting that the remains of the Catalina are left as they are. Over time their condition will surely deteriorate, so I'm surprised that they aren't a bit more protected. To think that at one time those Catalina's were the backbone of QF's overseas operations.

Thanks for a very different and interesting report.
KF
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt Speech, 1783

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 pm

lychemsa wrote:
If I am correct the flights to Lord Howe are expensive.

There is a very fancy expensive hotel there but the swimming pool is tiny.

Hi lychemsa, thanks for leaving a comment. :profile:

The last time I checked in 2016, the flights were around AUD $950 return per person.

Yes, it is expensive, but this does not seem to deter the amount of visitors to the island, or for that matter, the tourists who keep going back for return stays.

Our accommodation was very good, functional and practical, without all the 'bells and whistles'. Our location was really good, as seen from the photos.

It was also not crowded out (low season too), but busy enough in that you met people.

I would say our accommodation was middle towards upper of the range for price, but we had plenty of room and it was a two-bedroom villa with a large living space in between.

KruegerFlaps wrote:
I have been looking forward to seeing your report and the wait was worth it.

Thanks! :biggrin:

KruegerFlaps wrote:
It's pleasing to see that the in-flight service was up to the usual high standards. The lunch pack looks quite decent and more substantial than the breakfast the other mob offered between SYD and PER!

Yes, indeed!

KruegerFlaps wrote:
Those views on approach to Lord How Island must have been awesome. What a splendid choice of destination.

Yes, it was all worth it. One of those memories that lives with you forever. There is a lot to be said for holidaying at home, particularly in Australia.

KruegerFlaps wrote:
Interesting that the remains of the Catalina are left as they are. Over time their condition will surely deteriorate, so I'm surprised that they aren't a bit more protected. To think that at one time those Catalina's were the backbone of QF's overseas operations.

Yes, I was surprised, but maybe not, given the location (the island itself) and the fact that the wreck would be respected and protected, in that sense.

I was also surprised at the condition it was in, given the time it has been there (my amateur POV).

Yes, I learnt a lot about the flying boats from my trip to the island. Those were the days!

KruegerFlaps wrote:
Thanks for a very different and interesting report.

Thanks again. :wave:

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 am

Great report, and nice photos from your trip. I don't think I've ever seen any photos or read any reports about Lord Howe Island. What a nice looking place! Looking forward to Part # 2

Matthew (767747)
I love to fly!

sumantra

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:55 am

It is raining trip reports on exotic and remote areas in Australasia, and we love it! Thank you for a lovely trip report with great nuggets of information, neat descriptions, and some lovely pictures!
Cheers, Sumantra.

TN486

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:57 am

Well done VT, some beautiful photos, especially those of the Catalina, just being there and looking at them would make one feel somber and reflective. I am looking forward to Part 2. Thank you again, cheers
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

PieterBoth

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Wow what a fantastic TR...Lord Howe looks beautiful. Last time I was in Australia I decided to go to Norfolk for a long weekend over Lord Howe...so if there's a next time I'm down under, I'll def try to visit Lord Howe!

baje427

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks for this trip report it is also interesting seeing the Q200 without the five across seating in the last row what will QF do with this route when the 200's come up for retirement?

Vio

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Fantastic trip report! Lord Hawe Island is definitely something I will done when I visit Australia. It's a must. The pictures are great and I love the brief history you wrote. Does QantasLink fly the Q400 there, or just the "Classic" Dash? So are there any cars there at all? (Utility vehicles, police, ambulance?) Are motorbikes / scooters allowed?

Thanks for this awesome TR.

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

lychemsa

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:35 pm

I always wanted to visit the island but not having a pool at the hotel puts me off.

stratosphere

Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:11 am

Outstanding trip report thanks!!!

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:57 am

767747 wrote:
Great report, and nice photos from your trip. I don't think I've ever seen any photos or read any reports about Lord Howe Island. What a nice looking place! Looking forward to Part # 2

Matthew (767747)

Thank you!

sumantra wrote:
It is raining trip reports on exotic and remote areas in Australasia, and we love it! Thank you for a lovely trip report with great nuggets of information, neat descriptions, and some lovely pictures!
Cheers, Sumantra.

Thank you for your comment and feedback!

TN486 wrote:
Well done VT, some beautiful photos, especially those of the Catalina, just being there and looking at them would make one feel somber and reflective. I am looking forward to Part 2. Thank you again, cheers

Hi TN486, glad to see you back on the forums. Spent some quality time at Tulla recently (in transit though) but I am getting into this visiting new airports now, with these trips, and getting out of my comfort zone aka going further north!

Thank you for your feedback and comments! The trip was quite aviation-related really, throughout the week, or did I just make sure it was (stayed) that way LOL.

PieterBoth wrote:
Wow what a fantastic TR...Lord Howe looks beautiful. Last time I was in Australia I decided to go to Norfolk for a long weekend over Lord Howe...so if there's a next time I'm down under, I'll def try to visit Lord Howe!

Hi, thank you, it indeed was beautiful. Hope you can get the visit to LDH soon! I won't say too much in the comments as I haven't finished my report yet and did say I would compare the islands now I have been to both, but briefly, Lord Howe Island was easier to get around and is more developed (economically speaking), but definitely not overly so.

I am sure there are pax out there who may choose NLK because it is serviced by jet aircraft and not turboprop, but the tourism numbers to LDH seemed higher in demand and consistency, so that is just one of my quiet theories! I am no travel agent or analyst but NLK has struggled with tourism numbers. Not so Lord Howe Island I believe.

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm

baje427 wrote:
Thanks for this trip report it is also interesting seeing the Q200 without the five across seating in the last row what will QF do with this route when the 200's come up for retirement?

Thanks for leaving a comment. Yes, I was wondering the same thing! Watch this space I guess. :eyebrow:

There is no way there will not be a commercial pax service to the island though, that I am certain of. The residents also need a reliable air service.

Vio wrote:
Fantastic trip report! Lord Hawe Island is definitely something I will done when I visit Australia. It's a must. The pictures are great and I love the brief history you wrote. Does QantasLink fly the Q400 there, or just the "Classic" Dash? So are there any cars there at all? (Utility vehicles, police, ambulance?) Are motorbikes / scooters allowed?

Thanks for this awesome TR.

Vio

Hi vio, thanks! Re the brief history. It is amazing how many people in Australia haven't heard of Lord Howe Island. Furthermore, when I went to my local travel agent to make some initial enquiries about the trip, the travel agent said she had never heard of Lord Howe Island! - I mean, that's pretty bad! :thumbsdown:

No, only the -200. I assumed it would be the 400, or 300, but the runway is too short, at 886m (2907 ft). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Howe_Island_Airport (Wikiepedia, 2017).

It would be interesting to see or know what the largest aircraft could be that could land there. I guess that is ultimately tied up in regulations though.

Yes, there are cars, normal passenger cars, and utility vehicles and a police vehicle. Don't think there is an ambulance. Yes, there are motorbikes and scooters. We were told the freight to get a car over there is around two thirds the price of the vehicle.

I plan to discuss more of the logistics things in Part 2 of the report as well.

lychemsa wrote:
I always wanted to visit the island but not having a pool at the hotel puts me off.

You can swim in the lagoon, it is quite safe. :profile:

stratosphere wrote:
Outstanding trip report thanks!!!

Thanks!

AR385

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:57 am

Fantastic trip report. Outstanding pictures and one report I actually learned something new and interesting. I could not stop reading! It has actually picked up my interest in whenever I am able to go back to Australia, definitely considering booking a package to Lord Howe Island. Thanks for a trip report that is really different and a notch above the usual!

Flaps

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Outstanding report. Very interesting and informative. I had heard of Lord Howe Island but had no idea it was so interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Ryan h

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:13 am

Great report and photos. Still have to fly on the Dash8-200 myself.

Quite a decent lunch on such a flight.

sumantra wrote:
t is raining trip reports on exotic and remote areas in Australasia, and we love it! Thank you for a lovely trip report with great nuggets of information, neat descriptions, and some lovely pictures!
Cheers, Sumantra.

Just wait a few months as I have a flight up Cape York Peninsula coming up on a dash8-100 operated by Skytrans.
South Australian Spotter

sumantra

Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Ryan h wrote:
Just wait a few months as I have a flight up Cape York Peninsula coming up on a dash8-100 operated by Skytrans.
Wow, that sounds exciting! Please give me a heads-up, in case I miss it. Thanks, Sumantra.

11725Flyer

Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:45 am

Wow! Wow! Thanks for an excellent trip report!

aklxiy

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:23 am

This is a very interesting trip report. I often see Lord Howe Island pops up on my flying map when travel from Asia to New Zealand on route. After reading your report I know what it looks like. Thanks for sharing!!

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 pm

AR385 wrote:
Fantastic trip report. Outstanding pictures and one report I actually learned something new and interesting. I could not stop reading! It has actually picked up my interest in whenever I am able to go back to Australia, definitely considering booking a package to Lord Howe Island. Thanks for a trip report that is really different and a notch above the usual!

Thank you so much! Part 2 may be a little while away, but I am looking forward to finishing off the trip report here!

It was good that I, or anyone really, could do a TR on a place that was little known, and give the first hand experience. :thumbsup:

Flaps wrote:
Outstanding report. Very interesting and informative. I had heard of Lord Howe Island but had no idea it was so interesting. Thank you for sharing.

I hope you get to visit some day! Thanks for leaving a comment. :profile:

Ryan h wrote:
Great report and photos. Still have to fly on the Dash8-200 myself. Quite a decent lunch on such a flight.

I hope you get the opportunity. Actually, I am not sure where else in Australia they use the -200. Yes, the lunch was excellent.

Ryan h wrote:

I look forward to reading it! :airplane:

11725Flyer wrote:
Wow! Wow! Thanks for an excellent trip report!

aklxiy wrote:
This is a very interesting trip report. I often see Lord Howe Island pops up on my flying map when travel from Asia to New Zealand on route. After reading your report I know what it looks like. Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you for leaving a comment. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :profile: :profile:

ImpulseAviation

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:50 am

Great report, thanks for posting.
I too would like to know what QF would use when the -200
is no longer available.

Years ago I saw a vid of a RAAF C-130E do a full stop & taxi, I found this vid of a J doing a touch & go
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-HRqBJVmreQ

Oh and that travel agent should lean more about Australia
than just dealing with overseas sales.

allrite

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:19 am

Thanks VapourTrails for this lovely report. So nice to read about a real flight in our neck of the woods rather than just another unattainable business or first class luxury fest. My son did a school project last year about the Lord Howe Island stick insect (good animation about it here: https://vimeo.com/76647062) and I thought about flights to Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands last year after we cancelled our US trip, but the wife said "too expensive, too boring". Sometimes an escape from the shops and internet is what is needed and it was enjoyable reading about your explorations of the island. Look forward to your next part and catching up on your previous trip report. Been too busy with my own work and trip to visit here often.
I like artificial banana essence!

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:32 am

ImpulseAviation wrote:
Great report, thanks for posting.
I too would like to know what QF would use when the -200 is no longer available. Years ago I saw a vid of a RAAF C-130E do a full stop & taxi, I found this vid of a J doing a touch & go. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-HRqBJVmreQ . Oh and that travel agent should lean more about Australia than just dealing with overseas sales.

Hello, thanks for your comments. Yes, the replacement will be interesting. Oh wow, thanks for that video link! Awesome! Must turn the sound up on my TV to watch that one again. Yes, I agree, the travel agent needs to learn from that experience! :hypnotized:

allrite wrote:
Thanks VapourTrails for this lovely report. So nice to read about a real flight in our neck of the woods rather than just another unattainable business or first class luxury fest. My son did a school project last year about the Lord Howe Island stick insect (good animation about it here: https://vimeo.com/76647062) and I thought about flights to Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands last year after we cancelled our US trip, but the wife said "too expensive, too boring". Sometimes an escape from the shops and internet is what is needed and it was enjoyable reading about your explorations of the island. Look forward to your next part and catching up on your previous trip report. Been too busy with my own work and trip to visit here often.

Hi allrite, thanks for your comments. I will say, it cost as much as a J or F Class though. :wink2: Yeah, I know what you mean though.

Thanks for telling me about your son and his school project. Didn't see any stick insects there, but did read about them. Thank you for your video link, it looks great!

Your wife's comment is not that unusual! I had friends and relatives that said a similar thing. Well, they miss out on a wonderful experience, which I have done my best to convey here!

I am still working on Part 2. :cheeky:

I would say everyone that goes comes back refreshed and relaxed, because it is an escape from shops and being online and normal routine of life. When we got back - even after just a week, the traffic in Brisbane was fast, noisy and hectic - what is this place I can see, imagining what it must be like for the people that only go to the mainland once a year! Lord Howe Island is probably the environment we are meant to be living in as humans - the lack of intellectual stimulation aside perhaps, and not this modern world we endure. Sigh. :swirl:

Cheers. =

777Jet

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:31 am

Great trip report!

I remember you wanting to do this trip for some time so I'm glad that you finally made it happen.

Can't wait for part 2 :)
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:17 am

777Jet wrote:
Great trip report!

I remember you wanting to do this trip for some time so I'm glad that you finally made it happen.

Can't wait for part 2 :)

Hi 777Jet, thank you for the positive feedback. I am still periodically working on Part 2, I'll get there - I haven't abandoned it. Be good when it's finally done and up here! :blush:

VapourTrails wrote:
allrite wrote:
My son did a school project last year about the Lord Howe Island stick insect (good animation about it here: https://vimeo.com/76647062).

Thanks for telling me about your son and his school project. Didn't see any stick insects there, but did read about them. Thank you for your video link, it looks great!

Hi allrite,

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: That short film was amazing as were the dedicated scientists who worked on that project and the film makers who put the story together in this animation. Thanks. We both enjoyed watching and learning a lot of historic detail about the phasmid (stick insect) so of course, I didn't see any there LOL - I feel much more educated now about it.

I also liked the way they included the 'angel' spectre of the Thylacine in there, a nice addition and touch to the story and the mention of that symmetry. :thumbsup:

I noted in hindsight during my writing of Part 2 that we didn't go out at night enough just for the sake of it, and it would have been good, not to mention safe, to see more of the nature aspects of the island at night. :thumbsup:

I did see a couple of rats, drowned in waterways near the side of the road. There is a rodent eradication program plan in place: http://www.lhib.nsw.gov.au/environment/ ... radication, Rodent eradication, Lord Howe Island Board, 2017.

"The Lord Howe Island Rodent Eradication Program (LHI REP) aims to eradicate introduced rodents: the Ship Rat (Rattus rattus) and the House Mouse (Mus musculus) from Lord Howe Island (LHI) and its associated islands and rocky islets (excluding Balls Pyramid), hereafter referred to as the Lord Howe Island Group (LHIG). Rodents are currently having significant impacts on World Heritage values including impacts to a range of listed threatened species. The eradication of rodents will also present an opportunity to simultaneously eradicate the introduced Masked Owl."

From the video: "Exiled from the tropical paradise where they evolved, a tiny population of remarkable stick insects dodged extinction by hiding under a single windswept bush on the world's tallest sea stack for 80 years. Thanks to a dedicated team of scientists they're now living safely in captivity, but when can they go home?" https://vimeo.com/76647062

Cheers. :wave:

CollegeAviator

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Hey there, thank you very much for sharing this rather exotic trip report!

I haven't seen very many reports of such remote islands, and it was such a pleasure to read.

Lovely pictures and great descriptions - indeed, the Catalina wreck images does send shivers down my back!

I look forward to what follows :D

VapourTrails
Topic Author

Mon May 29, 2017 12:48 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Hey there, thank you very much for sharing this rather exotic trip report!

I haven't seen very many reports of such remote islands, and it was such a pleasure to read.

Lovely pictures and great descriptions - indeed, the Catalina wreck images does send shivers down my back!

I look forward to what follows :D

Hi CollegeAviator, thank you for your kind comments! :profile:

I didn't do a lot of research about Lord Howe Island before visiting, so the wreck was a real suprise! I think that made it even better to see and learn about.

Part 2 and the conclusion of the trip report is now availale: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1364407 :shy: