ComfortablyNumb
Topic Author

Outstanding EVA Air Business Class ORD-TPE

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:39 pm

On a business trip to Singapore a couple of weeks ago, I took advantage of EVA Air's new ORD-TPE flight on the way over. I'd flown EVA Air in business class a few years ago and remembered it as one of my best flights ever, so I was looking forward to experiencing it again.

Unfortunately the departure gate in Chicago didn't give a view of the aircraft, but it was a 777-300ER, painted in their new livery like this one.

The cabin was immaculate and I took my seat, 9A in the second, smaller Royal Laurel cabin. This cabin, of only 4 rows feels more intimate than the larger forward cabin. With only 6 of the 16 seats taken in the cabin, it felt very open and spacious.

Flight attendants offered a choice of water, juice or champagne along with a hot towel and distributed the airline's signature Rimowa kit and headphones.

EVA Air's excellent Royal Laurel seat

After a quick deicing and taxi to the runway, the 15 hour 40 minute flight was underway. Shortly after takeoff the flight attendants offered hot towel and drink service, took dinner orders and gave out pajamas (always appreciated on an almost 16 hour flight).

Beautiful menu cover -

Menu -

Wine list -

Impressive that they serve Krug Grand Cuvée, which retails for $180

Shortly, dinner was served.

Starter, with a glass of Krug

Main course - Braised Beef Brisket Noodle Soup. Without a doubt the best tasting in-flight meal I've ever had.

Simple but delicious dessert, with more Krug

After watching a few movies I reclined the seat into bed mode and tossed and turned for the next 5 hours. My biggest complaint with EVA Air is the same as for most Asian airlines, that the cabin temperature is kept too warm for my liking. Lack of individual air vents compounds this problem.

Breakfast was served about two hours prior to landing in Taipei. I selected the congee, which is very bland on its own but is transformed into something delicious once the condiments are added.

Overall, I found EVA Air to be exceptional in every way. The movie selection could be better, but the service, food and seat were all excellent, rivaling many airlines first class offerings (UA are you listening...?!).

WorldOyster

Re: Outstanding EVA Air Business Class ORD-TPE

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Nice photos! That meal looks quite impressive. I'm curious how they justify serving the Krug - if anything it seems like an impressive investment on EVA's part. I think it's a commitment to details like those that set many premium E. Asian airlines apart from their American or even European counterparts. That Rimowa kit styled after the luggage is pretty cool too. Great report!
A319 A320 A321 A330 A388 B727 B737 B744 B767 B777 B789 E175 E190 DH1 DH3 DH4 CRJ200 CRJ700
Longest leg: YVR-HKG

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:49 am

Wow, those food pictures make me hungry! I've heard good things about EVA Air. I will have to give them a try sometime!

Thanks for sharing.

Matthew (767747)
I love to fly!

ardian

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 am

Wow, I like the illustration EVA uses on the cover of its menu, wine list and linen, designed by Qing-Yang Xiao. Looks very intricate and beautiful

mmpower12

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:08 am

I would like to try and experience their business class product one day. The best thing about flying on Asian carriers is they know how to take care of their passengers very well. Thanks for sharing!

skyhigh777

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Looks great! Would love to try EVA. I flew Korean Air Business class JFK-ICN and Asiana ICN-JFK last year and both flights were kept too warm. I tossed and turned as well and got little sleep. I've seen many others complain about that. Wonder why the Asian airlines tend to do that.

BenChSFO

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:14 am

EVA is now my preferred carrier to Asia. Service is always great and I love being able to choose my meal (usually about 10 main courses or so) ahead of time on their website. I agree with you about the cabin being too warm. It always amazes me that while I can't sleep because it is so hot others are sleeping comfortably under the thick blanket.

9w748capt

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Wow - looks impressive indeed - Krug Grande in J? Damn - isn't that what CX serves in F? I do wish they had another option or two though. Looks like no vegetarian options on the menu - and only the beef starter and snack. I imagine that's not an issue for their target demographic but still, gotta nitpick somewhere :)

Thanks for sharing!

Carfield

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:58 am

Thanks for a wonderful trip report!
EVA Air is pretty amazing and serving Krug in J is pretty cool.

The Beef Noodle soup is always a safe choice!

About vegetarian option, EVA Air actually allows you to pre-book your entree 30 days prior to departure and there are a few vegetarian options.
Of course you can of course order vegetarian meals in advance. They used to have an choice of Asian or Western vegetarian meals - not sure if it is still here.

Carfield

Robisintheair

Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:59 pm

One word - three letters: WOW!! The EVA Air Business Class looks very nice! And I can imagine that this is the best way to travel to Taipeh! :) I hope you collected the Menu Card :D