Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Heading to New Zealand on Qatar Airways - DOH-AKL on the 777-200LR in Business Class

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:00 am

For all the pictures of the very long flight, please click here!

It was with some trepidation that I boarded the flight from Doha to Auckland. How would I go spending the guts of 16 hours in the air? Well, it turns out that it was a pretty amazing experience all round. Qatar Airways really do on board service brilliantly - with dine on demand, the crew are always very busy throughout the flight.

The Boeing 777-200LR in business class features lie flat seating arranged 2 x 2 x 2. The seats are extremely spacious in width and are quite firm. Seat pitch is very generous which adds to the feeling of space.

Mood lighting is very important as it makes a person feel a lot better than harsh white light. Oryx One is the Qatar entertainment system and it has a huge amount of options. Many new release films were on offer and I watched Fences on this flight plus the end of Driving Miss Daisy which I didn't quite finish on the previous flight.

When boarding, one of the first things you see is the light up Oryx which looks excellent!

Dining options are extensive. A full breakfast is offered, as well as a selection of light options. In addition, there is a full dinner available as well. I had one of the light options, a salad that was created by famous chef Nobu. I had this once we were in the air, then I napped for a few hours. After that, I decided to have a full breakfast and went back to lay down for a while again. After watching a movie later on, I then had a four course dinner. There is no way you can go hungry. Here is one of the dinner courses.

Passengers are provided with slippers, pyjamas and the crew also make the seat up into a bed with a white seat topper. When sleeping there is plenty of room to move around which gives the best chance for sleep.

Overall, I found the entire flight to be an exceedingly comfortable experience. If you want to read the full review with all the pictures, please click here! :)

Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below. :thumbsup:

My previous Trip Reports -

Qantas Domestic Business Class on the Wi-Fi enabled 737 (the only one!) - SYD-BNE
First time experience on Qatar Airways - an A320 with new lie flat seats from Pisa to Doha in Business Class
Crossing The Ditch: A Business Class trip from Auckland to Sydney on the LATAM Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Heading Off To Amsterdam: KLM Cityhopper Business Class on the E175 DUB-AMS
I had the lounge to myself (really!) so I made a video tour with my iPhone! Cathay Pacific LHR T3 First Class Lounge
Today British Airways Introduced Brand New Food In Club Europe! Pictures of the Brunch and Lunch offering are here!
Eating everything in sight when I visited the Cathay Pacific lounge in Paris! Oodles of noodles too!
British Airways Club Europe LHR-DUB - Champagne all the way!
Soaring above the clouds on the upper deck of a British Airways A380 in Club World
Cathay Pacific's Majestic First Class Lounge At Hong Kong - The Pier - The Lounge With It All
Champagne and Being Stepped On - Overnight Adventures on a British Airways 787-9 Dreamliner from BWI-LHR in Club World
Qantas International First Class Lounge Sydney - The Best First Class Lounge In The World?
Three Flights in Qantas Domestic Business Class - Lie-Flat A330 Seats and Boeing 737. SYD-BNE-CNS and BNE-SYD
A Volcanic Eruption in the Toilet - British Airways Club Europe Athens to London Heathrow
Concorde Room: British Airways 777 First LHR-IAD
Concorde Dining: British Airways 380 First IAD-LHR
Oops! I Missed My Flight! American First DFW-BOS
Phoenix Rising? American A321 First Class BOS-PHX
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

joffie

Re: Heading to New Zealand on Qatar Airways - DOH-AKL on the 777-200LR in Business Class

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:38 am

Great report. I happened to watch CNN cover this the other day
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/14/aviat ... index.html

benbeny

Re: Heading to New Zealand on Qatar Airways - DOH-AKL on the 777-200LR in Business Class

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:32 am

Nice trip report! It must be fun to have an empty seat beside you.
They seemed to be very attentive too, which is a good thing.
And I like the cabin, not much bling bling, unlike that one gulf carrier.

How is it compared to another gulf carriers?

smi0006

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 am

Great report - thank you for sharing!

I think this demonstrates ULR is easily survivable and even pleasant. I think the drama over ULR flights is overrated and that aren't as unpleasant as most people make out.

QR offers a very consistent product - I'd say once their new seats are rolled out the worlds best, certainly best of the ME3!

CollegeAviator

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:12 pm

Amazing report, thanks very much for sharing!

I'd imagine the 2-2-2 configuration on QR's B777 is much favorable to EK's 2-3-2 arrangement. Then again, most of the ULR flights operated by EK are on the A380.

So. Much. Food! What a spread!

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 am

benbeny wrote:
Nice trip report! It must be fun to have an empty seat beside you.
They seemed to be very attentive too, which is a good thing.
And I like the cabin, not much bling bling, unlike that one gulf carrier.

How is it compared to another gulf carriers?

An empty seat beside you really makes or breaks a flight for me when you could be sitting next to someone.

The cabin crew are outstanding - I can't emphasise that enough. They work non-stop to serve people and really take pride in their job.

Interestingly, I have not flown Emirates or Etihad. Neither of them is in oneworld so there is little chance of me giving them a go. Glad you enjoyed the report :)

smi0006 wrote:
Great report - thank you for sharing!

I think this demonstrates ULR is easily survivable and even pleasant. I think the drama over ULR flights is overrated and that aren't as unpleasant as most people make out.

QR offers a very consistent product - I'd say once their new seats are rolled out the worlds best, certainly best of the ME3!

You are right, there is nothing wrong with ULR at all from my perspective. All the doom and gloom people have not actually tried it and it's no different to me than a standard 13 hour sector from LHR to HKG.

Glad you liked the report! I think the 777 seats are better than the 350 seats, but that's another report :)

CollegeAviator wrote:
Amazing report, thanks very much for sharing!

I'd imagine the 2-2-2 configuration on QR's B777 is much favorable to EK's 2-3-2 arrangement. Then again, most of the ULR flights operated by EK are on the A380.

So. Much. Food! What a spread!

There is so much you can eat and as I like to try everything I really go to town with trying it all. I am going to be ill for weeks now (kidding) from stuffing so much into me over these flights. It's such a wonderful experience!

Glad you enjoyed the report :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!