Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flightobserver
Topic Author

My experience with Jetstar the Australia's LCC Gem

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 am

Hi guys ,

as the easter break is around the corner , i was thinking of a travel spot to have a break over the week long school holiday . After going through the major cities within australia for a short 4 days trip , the only city that appeals to me is Sydney and thus starting to search for a return ticket to sydney from melbourne .I've used the google flight to look for all my tickets , saw that a return flight ticket for 190 AUD being promoted by tiger air . I was a bit sceptical . A reasonable air fare for a round trip between these two major cities on a LCC is around 150 AUD ( for a domestic flight less than 1.5h between two major cities with a LCC , even 150 AUD is a little too much compared to AirAsia or the rest of the asian LCC , but i guess thats the 'australian premium' for most of the flights within australia or ex-australia ) not to mention Virgin Australia and Qantas both charges customers approx 400AUD for an economy round trip ticket for the same leg and dates .

I know that as the easter break is fast approaching , the air fares will increase thus I have to act fast in order to secure the best deal . I searched online for a promo code with either expedia or any other official webpage that I can book my flights with . I found out that Jetstar Australia has a deal to maintain itself as the airline that offer the best airfare every day . It has a site that you could speak to a customer service agent and then get them to offer you a price beat + 10 % extra discount against any other competitors that offer a better deal and with a certain T&C such as comparable flight have to be within an hour of departure and etc . I used that offer to strike a deal , I paid my ticket with a jetstar giftcard that I have bought from Woolworths ( they would charge you credit card fee for paying with any credit cards not issued by jetstar ) . After the deal is done , making sure that I have been checked in , saved my flights onto my phone and I am set to go , so back I go to finish up my Uni before the holiday arrives .

** This was one the few night views of Sydney's Opera house when I was on a cruise from Olympic Park back to Circular Quay .

Back to my trip , waking up early on a relaxing Easter Saturday , bright and cool out in Melbourne , all packed for trip . I used the public transport all the way from Melbourne City to Melbourne airport . The trip with the public transport took me approximately an hour+ , there was a more common method of transportation between the city and Tullamarine airport which is the skybus , but thats $18 a trip ( 30min ) and my use of public transport is going to cost me just $4 , considering the savings from a round trip and also I really enjoy being able to sit the public train , enjoying the scenery of the suburbs as oppose to having the need to pay extra and stand in a bus for 30min. Arriving at the airport 1.5 hour earlier from the 12.50 pm departure time , walked into T4 of melbourne tullamarine airport , reprint the boarding pass just to get the proper Jetstar boarding pass and immediately I head upstairs from the check in area .

Security for all australia domestic flights has always been easy , there is no limitation to the volume of drinking water that you can get through the security . Hooray for that . Otherwise , normally to get through an airport security , you would have to pour most of your drinking water away to get through security . No boarding passes was required to get into the secured part of the terminal , I have seen parents being able to send their kids off in front of a gate , then getting back out of the terminal . To me , I would appreciate a tighter security , making sure that everyone within the secured part of the terminal are with a passengers or workers .

After getting through security , I walked 7 minutes to get to the Jetstar's departure gates . It was a fair bit of walk compared to Tigerair's 1 minute . Waited a little while , with excitement as there is quite a good view of the tarmac . Today , my flight JQ512 is being operated by an airbus A320 , T4 being a LCC terminal , there is not aerobridge available for Jetstar's flight . The flight boards at approximately 12.30 pm , the flight attendants at the gate was lovely ,polite , no carry on baggage weight check required , the staffs were friendly .

Once I have found my seats on the plane , oh my oh my , the legroom and seat pitch was great . Have a look :

I am 6'3 feet tall , even with the bagpack underneath my legs ,I had enough legroom and I know that this is going to be a comfortable flight for me . I looked around having to find that they have got multilingual staff on board , other than staffs who speak english , they have got staff who speaks mandarin on this flight as well , this shows that Jetstar is quite considerate to cater for mainland Chinese customers onboard . Great job , until this point , Jetstar really do amaze me as a LCC ( this is my first flight with them so yeah ) .

Door closed and the flight leaves on time , I was stuck with an aisle seat , so I don't have any photos of the movements on the tarmac . The flight departed melbourne airport heading west , then making a turn heading north east towards Sydney . Out of boredom , I started flicking through some inflight magazine .

It was boring , loads of advertisements and very little proportion of useful ads for the city that I am about to visit . I guess that can't be helped with a LCC , no inflight entertainment and I do not make any purchase for an inflight snack as I have plans for a great meal ahead in Sydney , have to leave some space in my stomach for that :lol:

The flight was smooth , there wasn't really any pressure from the cabin crew to make any inflight purchases . When I asked for a cup of water , the cabin crew said yes with a smile and grabbed me a cup of water FOC from the galley , that was really unexpected as I was ready to pay for the water . There was no turbulence through out the flight on that day , managed to land smoothly safely in Sydney Domestic airport .

The passengers exited the plane in order. As I was walking through the terminal to the exit , I manage to grab a rare glimpse of a MH A380 in sydney kingsford smith airport .

Apparently , the MH A380 was deployed as MH 122 / MH 123 as part of a maintenance rotation on behalf of the normal A330 . It was a really great start to this trip as it was a rare sight in Sydney .

Thus , the end of this flight report .

(Disclaimer , I am not a Qantas / Jetstar / Tiger air / Virgin AU staff , just a Finance student in Melbourne University )

Just recently , Jetstar has been voted as the worst airline by consumer advocacy group Choice. This is my personal view on this survey .

Jetstar has lashed out on Choice stating that this survey was biased and did not include TigerAir . I guess this is true . From my past experience with Tiger air , I had much worse experience with tiger air compared to jetstar AU . I would rank Jetstar up there compared to Virgin AU. This is because Tiger air imposes carry on baggage check at the gate , causing passengers to queue up around the gate , trying to squeeze every revenue from passsengers rather than giving them a relaxing experience . I do understand that the 7kg limit is related to the safety within the cabin but it is still unreasonable to make passengers wait at the gate just for this weighing activity .

Also , the legroom on Tiger air AU is below average , I feel more cramped in a tiger air flight as opposed to Jetstar's . Cleanliness ranking is similar for both airline , average i guess . Service was similar for both airlines as well . With the price beat service that Jetstar offers , greater amount of legroom and also greater flight frequency to all cities that both Tiger and Jetstar offers , I would say Jetstar doesn't deserve that low ranking , at least not lower than Tigerair AU .

Thanks for viewing and feel free to leave any comments regarding my TR and personal views on the survey . I would be glad to review any flights around the world as long as I have experienced it . Cheers . :wave:

smi0006

Re: My experience with Jetstar the Australia's LCC Gem

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks for the report. I agree I feel the survey was very unjust. I thoroughly enjoy flying JQ, I know I'm getting what I paid for, simple and stress free. I'd rather fly JQ than VA tbh as VA is always such a mixed bag and can be expensive.

Hope you enjoyed your time in beautiful Sydney!

RoySFlying

Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:43 am

Good trip report and certainly a different perspective to the slant offered by the so-called survey that was published. I haven't travelled with JQ but that's due to the times out of Perth being unsuitable for my desired destination.

flightobserver wrote:
To me , I would appreciate a tighter security
Actually, that is part of domestic travel that I do like. Remember that visitors who are not travelling will have passed through exactly the same security as you have, so there is no additional risk.

flightobserver wrote:
but it is still unreasonable to make passengers wait at the gate just for this weighing activity
It may result in some extra revenue but we all know that some passengers do try and push the limits on carry-on. While travelling through DXB, I have noticed staff walking around checking baggage in the boarding lounges to ensure that over sized/overweight bags were not taken on board.

flightobserver
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 am

RoySFlying wrote:
Good trip report and certainly a different perspective to the slant offered by the so-called survey that was published. I haven't travelled with JQ but that's due to the times out of Perth being unsuitable for my desired destination.

flightobserver wrote:
To me , I would appreciate a tighter security
Actually, that is part of domestic travel that I do like. Remember that visitors who are not travelling will have passed through exactly the same security as you have, so there is no additional risk.

flightobserver wrote:
but it is still unreasonable to make passengers wait at the gate just for this weighing activity
It may result in some extra revenue but we all know that some passengers do try and push the limits on carry-on. While travelling through DXB, I have noticed staff walking around checking baggage in the boarding lounges to ensure that over sized/overweight bags were not taken on board.

Great points there . Cheers

anaknegeri

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:33 am

Nice report, sir.

I'd never been on Australian Jetstar, but I had boarded its Asian sister, Jetstar Asia (3K), twice. Looking to your photos, I think the cabin situation are almost similar with my experiences with 3K. You can read my report with 3K here.

I'm curious about its 787 fleet, and maybe it will be my choice for my trip to Australia someday.
I'm like TT, just like TT, tell me that you'll be my baby

flightobserver
Topic Author

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:35 am

anaknegeri wrote:
Nice report, sir.

I'd never been on Australian Jetstar, but I had boarded its Asian sister, Jetstar Asia (3K), twice. Looking to your photos, I think the cabin situation are almost similar with my experiences with 3K. You can read my report with 3K here.

I'm curious about its 787 fleet, and maybe it will be my choice for my trip to Australia someday.

Hi , I have never been on Jetstar asia just because I am more used to airasia ,CX would be my preferred carrier in asia . I like them a lot .
I think its better to be in the Jetstar 787 if you are planning to travel to / out of australia , because if there is a plane change , Qantas would be the backup for them . I've met an incident where QF took over a JQ flight from melbourne to singapore , so u paid less to enjoy a full service QF flight . As a conclusion , its good to go with JQ at times just because you have a 'big sis' looking after you . haha

ClassicLover

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:47 pm

flightobserver wrote:
No boarding passes was required to get into the secured part of the terminal , I have seen parents being able to send their kids off in front of a gate , then getting back out of the terminal . To me , I would appreciate a tighter security , making sure that everyone within the secured part of the terminal are with a passengers or workers .

The security screening is the same for everyone so there is no additional risk.

I love being able to go to the airport and go to the gate when I am not travelling. It is one thing in Australia I would never want changed. I wish all airports allowed everyone through security screening as it's fun to see the planes at the airport when visiting.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

a320fan

Tue May 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Agree on the legroom. I'm 6ft nearly exact and can stretch my legs out straight under the seat in front, just slightly angled down. It's supposedly 29" pitch too, so I don't know why people complain about 31" as in the current American Airlines thread in Civ Av. Only thing I don't like about Jetstars seats is that if the tray table of the row behind you is stowed then there's an uncomfortable hard bit that digs into your back from the little clip to hold it up, they need a bit of padding in that section.

I don't see how there's a security risk from non travellers going airside, they pass through the same security checkpoint and there is no chance of them getting on a flight as boarding passes are scanned at the gate. I volunteer to pick up people from the airport when I can and often get there a few hours early to walk around the terminals and check out the planes at the gates.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

VapourTrails

Wed May 03, 2017 4:03 am

Nice trip report, thanks for providing informative comments and evaluation. Haven't flown JQ yet but I am hoping to fly TT later this year or next, mainly for the experience. I've so far only flown LCC DJ before they became VA. The main issue I have with JQ is their reliability and on-time (or not) departures.

Cheers = :wave:

ClassicLover wrote:
The security screening is the same for everyone so there is no additional risk.

I love being able to go to the airport and go to the gate when I am not travelling. It is one thing in Australia I would never want changed. I wish all airports allowed everyone through security screening as it's fun to see the planes at the airport when visiting.

:yes: It is more leisurely if you are a non-traveller and time is on your side as to how long you spend. I used to do this more and still do but not as much as parking $ can be an issue, otherwise, I love it. :thumbsup: A good opportunity is when picking someone up from the airport, and then you can get there at least an hour early, have a wander around, and be airside inside the terminal to meet them. It kinda justifies the cost of the parking a bit then too. :twocents:

allrite

Wed May 03, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks for the trip report!

flightobserver wrote:
Security for all australia domestic flights has always been easy , there is no limitation to the volume of drinking water that you can get through the security . Hooray for that . Otherwise , normally to get through an airport security , you would have to pour most of your drinking water away to get through security . No boarding passes was required to get into the secured part of the terminal , I have seen parents being able to send their kids off in front of a gate , then getting back out of the terminal . To me , I would appreciate a tighter security , making sure that everyone within the secured part of the terminal are with a passengers or workers .

I'll add my voice to the list of those supporting the current levels of security. It's just a pity it costs so much to visit the airport in Sydney (and Melbourne) as they can be interesting areas to hang around.

flightobserver wrote:
I am 6'3 feet tall , even with the bagpack underneath my legs ,I had enough legroom and I know that this is going to be a comfortable flight for me .

I have observed some long legged people struggle a little on Jetstar flights but I find the seating quite comfortable (except for my very last flight where the seat needed fixing).

flightobserver wrote:
Just recently , Jetstar has been voted as the worst airline by consumer advocacy group Choice. This is my personal view on this survey .

Jetstar has lashed out on Choice stating that this survey was biased and did not include TigerAir . I guess this is true . From my past experience with Tiger air , I had much worse experience with tiger air compared to jetstar AU . I would rank Jetstar up there compared to Virgin AU. This is because Tiger air imposes carry on baggage check at the gate , causing passengers to queue up around the gate , trying to squeeze every revenue from passsengers rather than giving them a relaxing experience . I do understand that the 7kg limit is related to the safety within the cabin but it is still unreasonable to make passengers wait at the gate just for this weighing activity .

Also , the legroom on Tiger air AU is below average , I feel more cramped in a tiger air flight as opposed to Jetstar's . Cleanliness ranking is similar for both airline , average i guess . Service was similar for both airlines as well . With the price beat service that Jetstar offers , greater amount of legroom and also greater flight frequency to all cities that both Tiger and Jetstar offers , I would say Jetstar doesn't deserve that low ranking , at least not lower than Tigerair AU .

I have seen Jetstar bail up passengers at the gate for taking on carry-on luggage which was too large. With passengers mostly checking in at automated kiosks there is often nobody to check the luggage sizes until the gate and some of the things passengers try to take on board are just too large for the overhead bins. They do warn passengers before boarding!

I agree with Jetstar's response to Choice. I've flown them ever since 2005, both long and short haul and I've always found them to be pretty good, even where I had to contact customer service. If you fly them expecting Qantas-like service and inclusions then you are likely to be disappointed. But they don't pretend to be that. I certainly prefer them to AirAsia, AirAsiaX and Scoot. Haven't flown Tiger yet, just have no reason to (I have to admit that the ability to earn status points on Jetstar is a strong incentive when you are on the edge and you want the early seat booking ability on mainline Qantas!).
I like artificial banana essence!