newbief1yer
Topic Author

Part 1 - Canadian Escapades - London to Montreal - BA 787-8

Sun May 07, 2017 4:39 am

Video Report

British Airways 95 - London to Montreal - Boeing 787-8 (G-ZBJG)

Hello A'netters. It has been a while. This series of trip reports will take us to Canada and we make our way from the East to the West, before heading back to London, UK. We strategically made use of the Good Friday and Easter bank holidays along with May bank holiday to gain 18 days of holidays for 9 days of work. Good result.

I shall be splitting the series into 5 separate reports.

For our flight to Canada and back, we used the companion voucher for our flight Montreal and return from Vancouver. Montreal in WT and return on CW.

Called the Executive club number and the agent I spoke to could not be any more helpful - she was excellent!
I even gave her a thumbs up on the BA Thank you page. Hopefully it gets recognised.

Checking flight details in February, I noticed that the return flight BA84 from Vancouver had an equipment change - to an A380 :)

Would get to try out A380 on the upper deck, looking forward to it. This means that I would miss being on the upper deck of a 747. Ah well, we can't win everything.
#1stworldproblems

Thanks for Gcmaps for the below illustration:

This part of the trip:

Entire trip:

Day before the flight tried to check-in online. But did not work due to eSTA visa holders to only be able to check in from the airport. Tried calling the call centre. Waited for 40 minutes to no avail. Reached a call centre in Asia and they were least helpful. Cut the call and then tried again. This time got put through to a call centre in New Castle. Poles apart! She went out of her way to speak to the manager, who could not do it either and then called the airport. Finally managed to book 26A and B.

Lets see what happens at the airport. But the customer service was so different! I cannot believe that I was speaking to the customer centre department of the same company. Glaring shortcomings.!

The next day, I tried twitter and they asked for more information. While getting them the information, I realised that we still had our old passport and citizenship details on our BA account. As soon as I changed that and logged off and logged back in, we were able to check in! And to our surprise, the seats booked the previous evening was adhered to. On the whole a good result.

Bags packed ready to go..!

British Airways – BA 95
Route: LHR - YUL
Flight Reg:G-ZBJG; Delivered to BA on June 2014. 6th DreamLiner in BA line-up. Previous trip of the day, arrived from Cairo, Egypt
Aircraft Type: Boeing 787-8 (DreamLiner)
Seat: 26A
Flight time: 17:40 - 19:45 ( 18:00 - 19:30)
Actual flight time: 6 Hr 30 Min
Distance: 3249 Miles
Load: 23C 14W 120Y load
14th April 2017
My Log book: 22nd Flight on BA/ 13th flight on Boeing 787-8 DreamLiner/ 131st Total overall flight

Plane spotting before entering the terminal

On the day, reaching the airport was quick and hassle free. Was a busy time at Heathrow nevertheless check in and security was seamless and quick. We were at the duty free area in 20 minutes after reaching Heathrow.

We had well over 2 hours to spend at the duty free. Walked a bit, did some duty free shopping, a bit of plane spotting and then settled in for some music and light reading.

T5 on a Bank holiday Friday

T5 the home for BA

T5 airside

Our original DreamLiner

Heading towards the Satelite terminal

FIDS at T5B

Our ride for today - a 3 year old Dreamliner

Boarding began on time and we disembarked the gates 5 minutes ahead of schedule. As always excellent announcements from the flight deck. Flight time of 6 hr and 30 minutes announced with very good weather conditions.
The DreamLiner is super quiet and the take-off was barely noticeable.

First impressions of the cabin was it was spotlessly clean and fresh.

Neighbours at T5

Slightly cramped but manageable. The IFE box is the one thing that eats into oyur leg space :(

Reading on board

Cabin interior view

During taxiing

First round of drinks served within 30 minutes after take-off. Started off with a spicy bloody Mary and was also handed a Chilean cabernet sauvignon for the meal. Result!

After take-off from Heathrow

Drinks Round 1

Dinner round started soon after. Consisted of a chicken and mash or a Thai vegetable curry. We both had one of each. Both the meals were fantastic. The chicken with gravy was succulent. Topped it off with a pot of chocolate Ganache. A very good meal not just for economy but on the whole was very satisfactory.

En-route

Dinner

Cabin View - Note the large coat hangers for the cabin crew on your left

Watched Free Fall during the meal. An absolutely brilliant lock-stock-smokin-barrele'sque feel movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

After the meal went back to the galley for a chat with the crew. A very chatty and engaging crew. Had a great time speaking with them. Continued the good times with another Chilean Red. Listened to a bit of electronic/deep house music that was available.

Rest of the flight was perfect. The service on this flight was exceptional. Special mention to Rob. Perfect combination of being chatty yet professional. And his favourite aircraft to fly on is the 747. We have a winner!

Almost there

Soon after landing, we got assigned a gate fairly quickly. Immigration took slightly longer than expected, but not a deal breaker. Bags arrived by the time we were at the belt. On the whole it was a quick turn around and we were out in around 25-30 minutes from landing.

Neighbours at Montreal - Lufthansa A330-300 (D-AIKB)

Exiting the aircraft

Thank you BA

Exiting Montreal Airport

Baggage Collection

Montreal Arrivals

Verdict

Probably one of the best flights in economy overall. Absolutely turbulent free. Ahead of time arrival and overall it ticked all the right boxes. Couldn't have asked to start our epic trip any better. Great job BA.

This is the first edition of the trip. 4 more to come. Do stay tuned for the rest of the trip reports, due soon.

Until then keep the trip reports coming, and happy and safe flying, Adios!

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Re: Part 1 - Canadian Escapades - London to Montreal - BA 787-8

Sun May 07, 2017 4:40 am

Previous Trip Reports

Weekend in Bilbao - BA A320 - Photo + Video Report
Cambodian Escapades - China Southern B787, A321 and A320
Domestic Cambodian Escapades - Sky Angkor - KOS-REP - A320
Weekend in Zurich - Swiss and BA (Club Europe) - Airbus 320-200
Weekend at Cinque Terre - BA to Bologna - Airbus 320-200
Journey to the East (Part 5, Final) - BA B747-400 (Club World)
Journey to the East (Part 4) - China Eastern A321-200
Journey to the East (Part 3) - Etihad 5th Freedom Route
Journey to the East (Part 2) - BA, JAL, Etihad, China Eastern
Journey to the East - BA, JAL, Etihad, China Eastern
Norwegian And Air Baltic To ARN And RIX
London To Muscat On Gulf Air - A332 And A320
Part 4:India Domestic-9W, AI, SG On A321,B737,Q400
Part3: Phuket To India - Bangkok Airways -A320-200
Part 2:Thailand Domestic -Nok Air And Thai AirAsia
Part 1:Qatar Airways - Thailand And India
Part 3:BA Club Europe - LCA-LHR - Boeing 767-300
Part 2:Blue Air - Athens-Larnaca - Boeing 737-400
Part 1: Aegean Air - LGW-ATH-JTR - A320-200
Ryanair London(STN) To Lake Como (BGY)
Weekend In Belfast - Aer Lingus A319-100
BA First - PEK To LHR - Mid J B747-400
BA CW - Upper Deck To Beijing - High J B747-400
China Railway (CRH) - Video Report - SJW - Beijing
LAN Dreamliner (J) Experience - MAD FRA
Baltic Escapades - VNO/TLL/RIX On W6,BT And OV
South France - EasyJet A320 BA A319
UK To India - The EK Way - B777-200/300 & A380
India Domestic–Jet Airways And Indigo–A320/ATR 72
BA A320/321 - LHR To Berlin TXL - Christmas Day
China Southern - LHR-CAN-HKT - B787/A321
Aloha! The United Way - B777-200 And B737-900
Mahalo Hawaii, Hello NYC - DL B767-300
Cool Blue To BOS And Got Blue? To LAS - E190 A320
VS Little Red To ABZ And EZY Return
24 Hours On A 787! - Final Leg CZ - AKL-CAN-LHR
Part 5 - BHE-WLG-AKL On NZ Beech1900D And A320
Part 4 - MEL-AKL-ZQN On QA And NZ B738\A320
Part 3 - CNS-MEL On JetStar A321-200
Part 2 - SYD - CNS On Virgin Australia E190
Canton Route Part 1 - LON-SYD - CZ DreamLiner/A332
DREAM(liner)ING Of Hainan - China Southern
Panda Calling - BA LHR To CTU - Club World
China - The Low Cost Way - Spring Airlines - SJW-CTU
China United Airlines (KN) - CTU - SJW - B737-700
Norwegian B737 - LGW-TOS-BGO-LGW
Jet Airways: LHR – COK
Barra Trip – that was not to be
LHR - KWI - BA 747 - Part 1 - Middle East -China
Part 5: PVG-LHR - BA - Economy - B777
Part 2: KWI-DXB - FlyDubai - Economy - B737
Part 4A&B - SHA-SJW-SHA - FM: Eco: B737
Part 3A&B : DXB-HKG-PVG: CX & KA :Eco: A333
Morocco Trip - LGW-RAK-TNG-LHR - EasyJet & Iberia
Dusseldorf Calling - BA & EZY - Club/Eco - A321

MarcoPoloWorld

Sun May 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Really appreciate you sharing these with us, as I know from writing trip reports myself how time consuming it can be to put the narrative and pic inserts all together... I guess I myself don't hold BA in very high regard; rather, I place them third among the EU3 (or should I say Europe 3) behind AF/KL and the LH group. Having said that, I'm glad that you enjoyed your flight, and it certainly seemed like you received good service, good food, and good booze!... Hope you enjoy/enjoyed your stay in Montréal - its former glory may have faded, but it's still the one major Canadian city with the most character. Old-ish, but in a charming way.

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks for the comments MarcoPoloWorld.
It is good fun, and I see it as an extension of the trip. Once you are back, you get to spend a couple more weekends, reminiscing parts of the trips.
I will be uploading more pictures of Canada in my future reports in this series. Do watch out for them :)

jamesontheroad

Mon May 08, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks for sharing!

Tried BA LHR-YUL-LHR about a year ago, and share your annoyance with the IFE box.

Also a good plan to go from east to west on your trip... returning YUL-LHR in Y was pretty miserable because the first two hours of such a short flight was disrupted with meal service, etc.

Happy flying!

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks jamesontheroad

That was exactly my reasoning on doing LHR-YUL in WT and the return YVR to LHR in CW. I can imagine the YUL to LHR service would not be the best in terms of timing. YVR to LHR was really well timed. Depart around 9:00 PM, dinner served and complete by midnight, in time for a decent 5 hour sleep. Refreshed into London.

The IFE box does take a massive chunk of prime real estate.

I used WestJet's Wi-Fi streaming service (another Trip report, coming soon) and it worked brilliantly well. Yes you need your own device, but I am pretty sure almost everyone who travels these days would have some sort of a media device with them to enable them to use those services.

Flightsimboy

Mon May 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Watching your video and the running commentary is a nice touch....Your voice reminds me of the commentators at a cricket match lol. You just boarded the aircraft...looking forward to the other video reports

How does this work? "For our flight to Canada and back, we used the companion voucher for our flight Montreal and return from Vancouver. Montreal in WT and return on CW"
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for the comments Flightsimboy. I did not realise that I sounded like a cricket commentator. I maybe in a wrong profession! :D
All my trip reports have been uploaded and so are all my video reports on YouTube.

We used the Amex companion voucher. The way it works is, as long as you spend X£ per calendar year using the Amex card, and you get a companion voucher linked to your BA account. This can then be redeemed to buy a ticket worth the amount of points you spend for one of them. Essentially you spend for one ticket and you get the second ticket (worth points) matched. It can be for any class for any route as long as there is availability and it is on BA metal. A google search for 'Amex Companion voucher' should make it more clear to you.

11725Flyer

Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 am

When I was traveling extensively, I wish there was this type of forum to document everything, That's why I'm very appreciative of you taking the time to put this together. T5 looked pretty darned busy and the plane spotting was great. Thanks for all the pictures!

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks 11725flyer.
Was a busy day given it was a bank holiday weekend.