Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DAIAM2002
Topic Author

Fly around on Saturday with OS F100 / OS DH8D / LH 321 FRA-SZG-VIE-FRA in Y

Tue May 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello everybody,

after reading a lot of your interesting trip reports I'm proud to release my own first trip report.
I hope I meet your expectations, if there's anything I could improve just let me know.

Why?
After I've finished my final LH 737 flight in August 2016 I've decided to take the opportunity to catch a Fokker before it's gone as well.
I've never been on a Fokker so there were KLM with a Fokker 70 to AMS or Austrian with a F100 to SZG.
After checking the fares I decided to take Austrian to SZG on Saturday the 15.10.16.
Unfortunately the next possible return flight was almost fully booked and therefore very expensive.
I know the city of Salzburg from former visits so I had no interest to move to the city until the later afternoon flight would depart.
Solution: Take the Austrian flight to Vienna and catch the LH flight from Vienna to Frankfurt.
3 flight's on one Day. :D
Guess you know the look on the faces of other people when you tell them how you are going to spend your Saturday ;)

The Trip starts

1th Leg
OS 262/15 OCT FRA-SZG
F100
OE-LVO
Seat A 21

Arrival at FRA terminal 1 at 07:17 am.

My flight will depart at 09:10 but I love to stroll around before the flight especially when I'm travelling alone.
During the time I was in the bus to the airport I checked Flight Radar for the incoming flight to see who's getting me to SZG today.

It would be OE-LVO which has made her first flight in JUN 1993
Her previous owners were American Airlines 1993, Helvetic 2003, and Slovak Airlines 2005 before she joined the Austrian Fleet in JUN 2008.
Since I’m writing this trip report in May 2017 I can tell you that she is stored meanwhile.
Now the Embraer 190 is doing her job but that’s the way it goes.

Love the way they have refurbished the taxi and shuttle lane at FRA arrival area

The “oldschool” departure board at terminal 1 in Frankfurt.
Can you find my flight?

As I did check in online already I went straight to the security to get airside.
My flight is a star alliance flight within the Schengen area so it departed from concourse A.

Not much to do for the security staff this morning

07:50 and I was airside so I got a hotdog for breakfast and strolled around concourse A.

D-ABEE LH 737-300 is ready for its journey to BLL (today a A319 or a ERJ190 is doing her job)

View to the apron to the Southern cargo apron over the two runways (25C and 25L)

An ERJ 190 is being pushed back while the long haul in the background will move later on (mostly to USA)

It was time to get back to my gate and 3 minutes after I’ve arrived the boarding was announced.
No surprise that it was a bus gate and we made a little tour through the airport.
Here we are OE-LVO boarding in progress

My seat was right next to the engine with a view to the wing just the way I like it.

The cabin with a 3-2 configuration

The legroom shot, I’m 188cm (74 inc) so it was a bit tight but don’t want to complain.

Getting out on runway 18W.
I apologize to not provide any take off pictures but I never take any pictures or videos during this time in order to enjoy it.

Drink service came around and I took a tea.
I cannot tell you what they offered apart from this.
The flight attendants on this flight were professionally friendly but not outstandingly friendly.
Possibly it’s due to the red stockings they have to wear  (just kidding)
The young ladies made a good job.

Soon the descendence to SZG began and I was lucky to get a good sight since the weather was perfect.

During the roll to the park position I realized that there was an ash tray in the armrest.
A memory back to the time when you were allowed to smoke in a plane.

A warm early autumn waited for me on the apron. SZG is a nice and cosy airport.
We were parked in front of the terminal so I could walk from the aircraft to the terminal.
Therefore I took some pictures of OE-LVO which was named Chisinau.

Bye Bye was nice to meet you.
Enjoy your time in Australia.

Transit SZG

There was no transit entrance to the departures or I was not able to find it.
I had to go outside to the arrival hall and pass again the security check.

Arrival Hall at SZG

As I was “outside” already I used the opportunity to see the visitors terrace at SZG.
There is a café with a view onto the apron as well.
Took a 2nd breakfast and enjoyed the view…

Than it was time to get airside again.
After passing the security I entered the departure hall.

OE-LVO already on its way to FRA.
She will do all flights to FRA for the rest of the day.
I’ll take OS 924 to Vienna.

[b] 2nd Leg

OS 924/15 OCT SZG-VIE
Dash 8 Q400
OE-LGK
Seat A 20

I took the time for a nap in the departure hall when I heard a buzzing sound and saw OE-LGK arriving from Vienna.

OE-LGK joined the Austrian fleet in 11/2009 and up to now Austrian is the only owner of this plane.
As before there was no bus to take us to the plane.
If the plane is more away from the terminal the passengers are bussed for sure.

The cabin of OE-LGK

Enroute SZG-VIE
Drink service came around and I took a water.
No clue what was offered apart from this but the trolley was not that big….

Approach to Vienna

From our remote stand we were bussed to the terminal
Last view to OE-LGK

While we were bussed I saw these two airliners side by side.

EP-IBL from Iran Air is an A310 which made its first flight in May 1987.
Former owner was Emirates before she went to Iran Air in 11/2000.
4X-EKC is a Boing 737-800 which joined the El Al fleet in 07/1999

Transit in VIE

A little bit more traffic in VIE than in SZG … 
Got to hurry as my gate F 22 is open already

3th Leg
LH XXXX /15 OCT VIE-FRA
A321
D-AISJ
Seat F 38

Arrived at the gate and realized that “gate open” doesn’t mean the gate is actually open.
D-AISJ would bring me back home.
She made her first flight in JAN 2008 and joined the LH fleet in JAN 2008.

Every time I’m in a foreign country and enter a LH plane for the return flight it feels like a little bit of coming home to Germany.
But I surely don’t want to degrade other great airlines and crews around the world.
I had great flights on foreign airlines (like I did today) and don’t want to miss any of them.

D-AIUC is ready for getting back to Germany but I cannot remember her destination.

The return flight was empty und uneventful.
During the drink service I took a beer to close this great day while cruising back to FRA.

Back at my home base FRA
A United 747-400 which is going out to SFO later on (as I remembered)

Outside picture of D-AISJ

The end:
A great journey came to its end.
Today only two Fokker 100 are left in the fleet of Austrian which should be gone in Dec 2017.

Hope you enjoyed my trip report.

lychemsa

Re: Fly around on Saturday with OS F100 / OS DH8D / LH 321 FRA-SZG-VIE-FRA in Y

Tue May 30, 2017 6:12 pm

I was at Schwechat Airport in 1957 and watched my grandmother's plane leaving; an El Al Constellation. In those days you would only see 1 or 2 planes on the tarmac.The viewing area was on the ground outside. Austrian was only established I believe in 1958. Even in the early 1970s there were few planes at Schechat. By the early 1990s I was shocked how it had grown. Now it must be way bigger than in 1992 when I was last there last.

kimimm19

Tue May 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Great trip report! I hope to visit Salzburg too! It's funny to see a F100 with such little leg room. You would like the Helvetic F100s, they have an enormous amount of seat pitch given that the cabin hasn't been updated in quite some time!

AA737-823

Wed May 31, 2017 7:53 am

lychemsa wrote:
I was at Schwechat Airport in 1957 and watched my grandmother's plane leaving; an El Al Constellation. In those days you would only see 1 or 2 planes on the tarmac.The viewing area was on the ground outside. Austrian was only established I believe in 1958. Even in the early 1970s there were few planes at Schechat. By the early 1990s I was shocked how it had grown. Now it must be way bigger than in 1992 when I was last there last.

I'm pleased to say that Schwechat is indeed a very busy place, but easily one of my favorites in the world.
The Star Alliance terminal is nice, cozy.
I'd gladly connect in Wien any day, and on Austrian every day!

RoySFlying

Wed May 31, 2017 10:11 am

Hi DAIAM2002 and congratulations on posting your first trip report. It was an enjoyable read and in some respects, I'm slightly envious that such multiple airline and aircraft itineraries are not possible in the part of Australia where I live. However, from time to time I am able to fly to Germany and arrange something similar, other engagements permitting. It's been a while since I was last in Schwechat and that was flying Emirates. The newer terminal didn't exist then.

It looks like Austrian keep their aircraft in fairly good condition. Compared to some of the worn and dingy-looking Fokker 100s and Dash-8s some of the local carriers operate, Austrian's appear spotless.

Interesting to see the Israeli and Iranian aircraft together. It's a shame the two countries have differences that keep them part. Perhaps one day Hugo Junkers' dream of aviation bringing us all closer together will become a reality.

Thanks for sharing.
Roy