pjflying
Topic Author

TXL-MUC Lufthansa Airbus A340-600 in Business Class

Fri May 11, 2018 10:37 am

Flying unusual routes or unusual aircraft types is always fun. While looking for an opportunity to fly a wide-body aircraft on short-haul route within Europe, I stumbled upon a Lufthansa operated flight from Berlin to Munich using an Airbus A340-600 which certainly is a rather unusual type on this route.

Inspired by a video trip report (link), I booked a ticket for the TXL-MUC leg on the 8th of May. To get to TXL from VIE, I took a rather cheap easyJet flight on the same day. To get back to VIE, I booked with Austrian.

Once the flight was booked, I decided to try the Lufthansa upgrade feature which allows travellers to offer an amount they are willing to pay for an upgrade. I went for the lowest possible amount and offered Lufthansa 70 EUR. I would have been happy to fly the A346 anyway, even in economy. To my surprise, three days before the flight, I got an email that my upgrade offer had been accepted. I did the OLCI, choose seat 4K and got a business class boarding pass. Getting to TXL was rather uneventful, so let`s focus on the flight to Munich:

Boarding
The flight was scheduled to depart at noon. At 11:30, boarding was announced from gate C40. At first, priority boarding passengers were called out. Together with a few other passengers, I proceeded through the gate and on the tarmac, as the A340 is probably too big to use a jet bridge in Tegel. The walk to the huge plane in perfect weather was impressive in itself.

Upon entering the aircraft, I was directed by the crew to the business class cabin. There were 30 seats – rows 3 to 7 in 2-2-2 configuration. My seat 4K was a window seat in the second row. There is also a first class cabin on this aircraft, consisting of two rows.

There were 7 passengers including me in the cabin. Shortly after boarding, a pre-departure sparkling wine was offered. I was told by a female flight attendant that we were flying a long-haul aircraft, and hence we will be given a long-haul service. Safety demonstration followed, together with an announcement from the flight deck.

Flight TXL-MUC
Shortly after take-off, light snack was handed out. To get an idea of what we were offered, one picture is worth thousand words.

Overall, it was a delicious light meal, although it was not a full lunch. Drink service followed, so I ordered a coffee and still water. Of course, this was just a short flight, so there was not much time left after I finished my meal. I browsed through the IFE for a while and for the rest of the flight, I ended up on the moving map screen with flight information. Just before starting the descend, there was yet another announcement from the flight deck. It was a short update on weather in Munich and a remark that we were about to land on time. I tried the seat controls just briefly. It left me with no doubt that flying long-haul in those lie-flat seats would certainly be pleasant and comfortable.

After landing in Munich, we taxied to a gate with a standard double jet bridge. The front one was docked to the aircraft first, so that business class passengers could deplane as soon as possible. I have to say, I had a good time on board so I did not rush off the plane. It was still two hours before my flight to Vienna anyway, so there was no need to hurry.

There are many reports on Lufthansa long-haul business class service. However, it is not very common to fly the long-haul configuration on a one-hour domestic flight. For me, this was a special experience which I wanted to share with you here.

Cush

Re: TXL-MUC Lufthansa Airbus A340-600 in Business Class

Fri May 11, 2018 11:14 am

Nice report! Detailed, simple, and to the point. Thanks!
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

345tas

Fri May 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Wow getting to board an A346 from the tarmac -- nice.

ubeema

Fri May 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Looks like a VIP experience. Great TR.

aerlingusa330

Tue May 15, 2018 5:39 pm

I flew on this same bird (D-AIHU) from MUC-IAD back in April, seat 3H&K! One of the very few planes left flying from MUC with an F cabin.

Nice report.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.