Thai744
Topic Author

Oman Air KUL-MCT-DXB A330-200/Embraer 175 Business Class

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:12 am

Hi Everyone,

Another report - this time from almost a year ago. Apologies for the delay - I thought I'd lost the photos, but managed to find them again (thank goodness!) and as the product is still relatively new I thought I might as well write up a report for you.

As usual, not a lot of text - I think on this forum most pictures are self-explanatory, but I'll fill in the gaps as we go along.

So, join me on my flight from KUL to DXB via MCT.

I had wanted to travel on Oman Air for a long time after seeing reviews online and hearing what a great "boutique-style" airline it is.
I was travelling in Asia and found some really great fares from KUL-DXB and return. WY have excellent fare sales from time-to-time and a comprehensive list on their website that you can monitor. I had also wanted to tick a couple of days in DXB off my bucket list, so it worked out well.

I used the KLIA Ekspress to get to the airport from downtown KL and Oman Air uses Row M at the far end of the terminal. The line for Y class was quite long, but the Premium counters were empty. I love the name of their Frequent Flyer program - The Sindbad Club!

Immigration was cleared quickly and I made my way to the Aerotrain to head off to the Satellite Terminal where the lounge and flight were to be found.

A beautiful Saudia 777 - another airline whose Business Class I would love to try one day.

Oman Air uses the MH Golden Lounge for its premium passengers in KUL, and remember that this was in August 2017, so the lounge had not started it's renovation at that time.

However, there was time for a quick bite to eat - in this case a Malaysian Chicken Curry which was really delicious.

I made my way down to the "C" gates, and boarding started as soon as I arrived. In fact, I was first on to the aircraft which was great as I wanted to take a few pics before anyone else boarded.

I had booked the "new" J configuration over to DXB and the "older" J class home so I could compare the two. Even the older style still looked great. On the A330-200 there is no First Class, and 2 cabins in a 2-2-2 layout (3 rows in the first cabin and 2 in the second). My seat was in the second cabin. As it turned out, I was the only person sitting in this cabin, so it was like travelling in my own private jet! Amazing!

The Apex Seat is brilliant in my opinion, and also used by JAL and Korean Airlines as well as a couple of other airlines. Korean actually use it as a First Class seat (I think on their 787's).

I think it is the best business class design in the business! Even though 2-2-2, the seating is staggered on the side seats nearest the fuselage, so if travelling solo and you can grab a window seat you will still feel a great sense of privacy.

I loved the colours and design of the cabin - they certainly reflected Oman very nicely! It was in pristine condition.

I'm the only one here! Helllllloooooooooooo!

The monitor was large, clear and sharp and touch-screen of course.

And a comfortable pillow and nice duvet was in place on each seat.

I was offered a Champagne, Juice or Water on boarding - of course I chose the bubbles!
The glassware was beautiful!

Then a refreshing (and scented) towel.

I then explored the seat controls which were easy to use and the seat would very quickly go into any position you fancy at the time.

There was a remote control for the IFE and I settled in to explore this more.

Noise-Cancelling Headphones were handed out next and worked well during the flight - good sound quality and kept out the outside world nicely.

There was also plenty of USB's and a power-point to charge gadgets.

Next was Arabic Coffee served out of a beautiful pot - loved the design of this!

Served with a fresh Arabic Date.

A range of newspapers was then brought by the crew on a trolley with a large selection of international publications.

We then pushed back from the gate, the safety demonstration was played in Arabic and English, and then lovely soft mood lighting was applied to the cabin.

The entertainment system was extensive and easy to use via the remote control. Lots of options were available from movies, to TV, games and, of course, the moving map.

I got absorbed by the entertainment system and didn't take any photos of the take-off - apologies - but after a short taxi we were in the air.
My cabin was being looked after by an Omani gentleman as well as 2 ladies - one each from Thailand and the Philippines. Wow - 3 flight attendants for just myself! Of course, this made it easier for them, but they were polite, caring, engaging and keen to help in any way they could. I can't rate them highly enough! They were outstanding.

After take-off I was handed out pyjamas and slippers. Branded too - a nice souvenir!

I was impressed to be given PJ's on a flight of 6 hours. Then time to get changed into them, so it was off to the bathroom.
Apart from JAL, I haven't seen another airline that has a bidet function on their toilet, but WY does. There were also cosmetics provided by Amouage (a local Omani brand) and nice flowers in the bathroom - it was well-stocked.

After changing into something more comfortable, it was back to my lovely little cocoon in 14A.
The tray table lifted out of the armrest and was able to be "swung/rotated" which is a great design and makes it easy to eat or work.

And of course the seat pocket contained the obligatory safety card, in-flight magazine and duty free catalogue.

A menu, which contained the Wine List within it was then handed out with a smile from the crew.

To save space I won't post the pictures of the entire Wine List as each wine had a page to itself.

One fantastic thing is that, similar to Qatar Airways, Oman Air allows you the freedom to dine any time and on demand in the premium classes. The menu and beverages on offer were extensive - not hard to find something you like on this airline! Dine on demand is a great idea and I actually asked the crew to wait for an hour while I did some work on my laptop and there was no problem to do this.

Whilst working I had a Gin and Orange and was brought some warm nuts as well.

After finishing my work (and another glass of Champagne!) I asked if I could have my meal now, and the crew said that they'd be happy to serve me. The service started with an amuse bouche which was lovely.

The the table was set and a bread basket was offered. The bread was fresh and warmed just to the right temperature.

I started with the Arabic Mezze Plate which was excellent.

The Thai flight attendant "insisted' that as we departed from KUL that I try the Satay as well. Ok - if you insist!
Of course, it tasted the same as you would get on Malaysia Airlines and was also excellent. Notice the plates are also what I would call "restaurant quality". The presentation of all the food offerings was outstanding.

The Omani crew member suggested I get "a taste of Oman" and try the local curry which sounded like a great idea. I'm glad he suggested this - it was excellent.

Of course, the dessert course needed trying - for research purposes only of course!

After this meal - I was offered a coffee which I accepted, and asked for a nightcap of a Baileys with Ice which was brought out a little later.

A crew member passed through the cabin handing out amenity kits. They were very well stocked, however, I'm still not sure about the satin pink eye mask - it might have been better in "50 Shades of Grey", but it still did the job!

Here is the seat in "Relax Mode" which is great for watching the entertainment.

And here is the seat in lie-flat mode. I only wish this flight was longer so I could have enjoyed more sleep. It was the most comfortable Business Class "bed" I've ever slept in - no doubt at all.

I slept for about 2-and-a-half hours and one of the crew immediately appeared at my seat to tell me we were 50 minutes out of Muscat, but if I'd like some refreshments they could bring some for me. Again, in the interests of research I said "yes" and was given some small, but tasty, morsels, more nuts and asked for a cup of refreshing Green Tea.

Very soon we were on our final approach to Muscat and touched down about 20 minutes early.

Remember that at this time it was the old airport at Seeb. I can't wait to return and see the new airport, which looks amazing.
We parked up at a remote stand and disembarked. There was a separate bus for Business Class passengers - all three of us. Two from the forward cabin and me at the back.

I only had just under two hours between flights, but this was enough time to check out the Oman Air Business Class Lounge. Again, I can't wait to see the newly-opened one, but this one, despite being a bit older, was still very well-stocked with food and beverage options and featured nice amenities. I was impressed. It was very quiet at 2.00am in the morning. Here are some pics of the lounge.

Just for some additional info, here are some of the food offerings in the lounge. (There was an extensive "hot food" section as well, but there were people here getting food for themselves at the time and I like to be discrete, so I didn't want to be buzzing around taking pictures while they served themselves from the buffet).

Before long it was time to board the flight for the short hop to Dubai. Again, a bus was used to a remote stand.
This was my first time on a Embraer 175, so I was interested to see what it was like - especially what the level of "Business Class" would be.

The seats were comfortable and there was a pillow on every J Class seat on boarding.

Legroom was good and there were personal TV's too.

Again, as on the other flight, towels were offered.

I took the first row, and the configuration was 1 solo seat on the left-hand side of the aircraft, and 2 on the right.

This flight was only a 45-minute hop, but I was very impressed by the level of service. Pre-take off drinks were offered. No alcohol, but a nice, refreshing lemon juice in this case.

Even the same Noise Cancelling Headphones as on the long-haul flight were given out for this flight of under an hour.

I wasn't expecting a meal, but within 10 minutes of take-off, trays were distributed by the friendly flight attendant, this time from Romania. Not bad for such a short flight! I was the only passenger in Business Class who took the meal - everyone else had decided to have a quick nap.

You don't get many flights shorter than this in Business Class!

The trays were cleared just as the lights of Dubai were coming into view on our descent.

We landed and made a quick taxi to our gate where disembarkation was swift and efficient and off I went to my hotel and to explore Dubai for a couple of days.

Thoughts on Oman Air

I was so impressed by what Oman Air offered - particularly for the price I paid.
I had heard good things about them, and had read reviews that looked good, but there's nothing quite like trying a product yourself. I'm glad I did - it was amazing. The ground staff and crew were so friendly and polite - there isn't one person I can say anything otherwise about - the service provided was sincere and genuine. The hard product was great - particularly the Apex Business Class seat. The food and beverages were restaurant quality and everything ran on-time and like clockwork. I can't complain about one aspect of my flights with Oman Air. They are certainly my favourite airline now. I'm just sorry they don't fly to Australia at this stage, where I live. Still, they are growing rapidly, so you never know what may happen! If I get time, and there's enough interest, I will write-up the return journey by 737-800 and another A330, however, this time with their older Business Class product, which was still very good.

Thanks for taking the time to read this report. I hope you enjoyed it.

directorguy

Re: Oman Air KUL-MCT-DXB A330-200/Embraer 175 Business Class

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks for sharing the trip report.
I particularly enjoyed reading the section on the MCT-DXB hop. I've taken that exact flight before-but given its odd timings-I just slept through most of it. DXB T1 can be quite busy in arrivals around 3 or 4 am-a bunch of arrivals from India and Pakistan mainly.

bgboiflyer

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 pm

That's awesome they have a meal on this flight, which usually in premium cabins they barely give you anything

CollegeAviator

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:57 am

Great to see another trip report rating WY highly - regardless of class. I am glad they're going to stick with their boutique airline structure - gives a nice option at times when you don't want to necessarily fly with the MEB3. Thank you so much for sharing this one! :)