Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Flying Fifth Freedom: OSL-ARN on ET 788 (no pictures)

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 pm

When looking at traveling from Oslo to Stockholm I noticed that Ethiopian flew this route, and so just out of curiosity checked out the fares. Surprisingly it was very cheap (around $75 in coach I believe), and cheaper than any other airlines' flights during the day (I didn't want to wake up extremely early or arrive extremely late). This was my first time on an African airline and a 788, but also the first time my luggage was lost (more on that later).

August 8th, 2018

This was an evening flight, arriving in Stockholm around 9 PM, but a quick one hour flight. There weren't many people on this flight, my best guess being around 30% load factor. While some may find the interior of ET's 788s hideous, I like it because its unique; you don't see many airlines with green and brown cloth seats. The IFE appeared to have many options for entertainment, and I played some checkers while we waited to pushback in Oslo.

Midway through the flight passengers were offered Sprite, orange juice, or water.

It was an uneventful flight, and the crew were very nice. The 787 is very quiet, and when starting up to me it sounds like a computer booting up (and I suppose modern airliners are more and more becoming flying computers). Usually when listening to music on a plane I have to have it midway between mute and full blast or a couple notches higher, but on this flight I could turn it down a couple notches and still hear it clearly. I assume this is normal, but I noticed when landing the entire overhead bins and roof shook as if they were loose. Hopefully that isn't a design flaw, but I'm sure that's normal and the engineers know what they're doing.

Now for the not-so-great part; getting my suitcase. Baggage handling for Ethiopian is done by Menzies Aviation. After waiting awhile at the baggage belt I saw a sign showing to go to their desks. The employee was very nice and explained the situation, but its difficult not to feel stressed when you're told your bag could be on a different continent. I'm not sure where the bag ended up (either ADD, still in OSL, or lost in ARN), but they found it and I have it. The only issue is Menzies emailed me and that I needed to call to set up a time for delivery to my hostel. I was given a phone number, but an automated voice came on saying the number doesn't exist. I ended up taking the express bus to ARN, and soon as I got there I was told my bag had already been shipped to the hostel. I asked for compensation for the bus fare, and the employee told me to contact ET since they were the ones who lost the luggage. So now I'm just trying to get back my $20 in bus fare since Menzies didn't have the best communication with me. I don't know who's to blame for the lost luggage, but either Menzies or ET should compensate me.

Back to the airline part, I wish there was more cabotage allowed in the U.S. so we could have something like ET's OSL-ARN-ADD service, but a domestic route such as MSP-BOS-DUB or fifth freedom trans-border such as MSP-YVR-HKG (I don't know if those routes would actually make sense from a profitability standpoint, I'm just giving examples). Not only for a cheap experience on a foreign airline and widebody plane, but more flight options and competition. That probably won't happen as the American airlines would raise hell, but I can dream.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

theobcman

Re: Flying Fifth Freedom: OSL-ARN on ET 788

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Nice report. But any cabin pictures ?? Always makes any report that much better. Would really like to see ! I’ve been looking at doing this one also.

bgboiflyer

Re: Flying Fifth Freedom: OSL-ARN on ET 788 (no pictures)

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 pm

I had a cabin shaking thing too on my flights. One was from Charleston and Everett, so I guess it's an issue with type itself?