Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Loud screaming, shrieking babies all night - Qatar Airways economy class Doha to Dublin on the 787-8

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:15 pm

To see all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

Have you ever been on a flight where there were a lot of babies? A flight where some of the babies must have been teething which resulted in the most blood curdling screaming and shrieking for the ENTIRE flight? A sound so ear shattering that you could still hear it fairly clearly with ear plugs in?

Well, that was my experience when I flew Qatar Airways on an overnight flight between Doha and Dublin. It's the perfect flight for sleeping, as long as the babies keep quiet. Do you think it's inappropriate bring a tranquiliser dart gun on board? :) Probably not.

Boarding this flight was by bus, which is my least favourite way to get to an aircraft. Still, I do like climbing the stairs in the balmy night and being welcomed by the friendly crew.

QR19 – Doha to Dublin (DOH-DUB)
12 July 2018
Boeing 787-8 – A7-BCS
Seat: Economy Class 12C
Departure: 01:40 Arrival: 07:30

Settling in to my aisle seat, I hoped for no-one sitting next to me. My wish came true, to an extent, with a lady appearing late in the boarding to take the window. Having the middle seat free is always a good thing! Prior to departure, all passengers received a refreshing towel to wipe off the sweat of the airport.

I then set about checking out the Oryx One entertainment system to choose a movie to watch for the night. The selection is very good! Once everyone was on board, we had the safety demonstration and were in the air in short order. On this flight, a snack is the first service with breakfast provided before landing.

A Chicken and Bell Pepper Arabic pastry with Rich Chocolate sponge was delivered and duly inhaled. I asked for and received a second one later on in the flight. Washed down with pineapple juice and later a Baileys, I was quite content. Deciding to watch Star Wars – The Last Jedi, I settled in. The headphones provided gave plenty of sound, so I could watch and hear the movie quite well. Once it was done, it was time to try to sleep. Qatar Airways provide an amenity kit in economy class on overnight flights. This contains an eye mask, earplugs, toothbrush, toothpaste, socks and lip balm.

Due to the fact there were about 250 babies on the flight, I popped the earplugs in and tried to sleep. One baby was one row behind in the middle and screaming the place down all night. It was so loud that even the earplugs were no use. A sleepless night ensued, broken only by a drinks run by the cabin crew. Approximately two and a half hours before landing, the lights came back up and it was time for breakfast. Three choices are offered in economy class and I elected to try the Sweet Pancake with Strawberry Compote. I had a look at the Aloo Mutter Poha, but decided against it. Bread is heated separately and plated when you choose your meal which means it tastes lovely.

Both the apple slices and the yoghurt were also good. The pancakes were only average. I found them to be somewhat dry, but I still ate them of course. Another Baileys was downed in an effort to block out the constant – and I mean constant – screaming from the baby behind me. The crew member said, "Here, I've made it a double!" - which was a welcome recognition of the stress everyone was under from the screams.

We landed in Dublin after this, the baby still screaming away and all of us wishing to be off the aircraft immediately. While a calm overnight flight is easily ruined by the shrieking of a baby, this is not Qatar Airways fault. Short of a tranquiliser dart, there wasn’t much they could do about it.

On board service is perfect, from the moment you board until you leave. Nothing is too much trouble for the crew and they always remember your requests. Breakfast was fine enough, while the snack service is outstanding. I could have had several more of those easily!

Have you ever had a memorable flight due to a baby? How about an overnight flight, any one that particularly stands out? Thank you for reading and remember - click here for all the pictures. If you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

trpmb6

Re: Loud screaming, shrieking babies all night - Qatar Airways economy class Doha to Dublin on the 787-8

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:18 pm

My one tip to parents is to give your young ones something to suck on while ascending and descending. The changes in pressure impact the sinus cavities/ ear & nasal cavity in infants (and younger children in general) far more than adults. Sucking on a bottle or other item will help them equalize the pressure in their canals.

Those times we have trouble are just as bothersome to us by the way. We hate that we are inconveniencing everyone else. It's only happened to me once in all my flights and that was because we had adjusted our youngest son's schedule so that he would intentionally sleep on the flight. But then we were delayed by almost 2 hours throwing that all out of whack. We felt pretty bad about the couple folks near us, but most were understanding, except one grumpy guy haha.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Great trip report as usual! I hope the parents got a double too, they probably needed it haha.

Edit: by the way, if you have kids and do a lot of flying, do your kids a favor and get ear tubes put in. A lot of kids get them these days anyways. As I noted in another thread, mine both have them. They are a treat on flights now.

Flightsimboy

Re: Loud screaming, shrieking babies all night - Qatar Airways economy class Doha to Dublin on the 787-8

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:08 pm

250 babies surely an exaggeration lol. I have grown to become more tolerant of screaming babies. I mean they are babies right. Though many landing videos uploaded on YouTube mean they have to be muted due to screaming babies :(. I think an adult kicking the seat from behind is more annoying.

I do like that concept of a snack in a box. It is quite filling and you can choose to eat later too f not hungry. Had these recently on Etihad and Brussels Airlines. Almost asked the guy next to me to give me his when we handed it back to the crew due to dietary restrictions.

The ME3 and TK are very family friendly airlines so be sure to have tons of screaming kids at the time of landing.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

trpmb6

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Flightsimboy wrote:
I do like that concept of a snack in a box. It is quite filling and you can choose to eat later too f not hungry. Had these recently on Etihad and Brussels Airlines. Almost asked the guy next to me to give me his when we handed it back to the crew due to dietary restrictions.

I ALWAYS take whatever is given out. Even if I'm not interested in it. Someone else around me will take it. Everything offered on a flight is already baked into your ticket price. Might as well get your money's worth.

In fact, I have a snack from delta still sitting in my vehicle from my last flight with them :white:

lychemsa

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Wow they give Bailey's in economy!!!!

vhtje

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Trent, you need to invest in a pair of these babies: https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/h ... ss-ii.html

Blocks out even the loudest screaming baby. Worth. Every. Penny.

Meanwhile - what were you doing in whY? I thought you only flew Business on longhaul?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

DAIAM2002

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Was on a LH flight FRA-CTA and CTA-FRA some days ago.
On both flight's screaming baby's/toddlers as CTA is a vacation destination for European families.
However both flights were relaxed as my gf gave me some NC Headphones as christmas present.
I thanked her once again after we disembarked from the a/c. :-)

Gonzalo

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:42 pm

A week ago I flew SCL-AKL with Latam. For almost 6 hours ( for a 12 hours flight ) we had the pleasant sound of a toddler ( around 2-3 y.o. ) making a bad fake of a crying, just to get more attention from the parents every few minutes. The poor mother did all in her hands to calm down the kid but nothing was effective for more than 5 or 6 minutes. I was separated by a few rows and by two aisles but still hear all the show...I can only imagine how good would be seating right next to that family. A good pair of noise cancelling headphones looks very handy under this circumstances.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:02 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
My one tip to parents is to give your young ones something to suck on while ascending and descending. The changes in pressure impact the sinus cavities/ ear & nasal cavity in infants (and younger children in general) far more than adults. Sucking on a bottle or other item will help them equalize the pressure in their canals.

Those times we have trouble are just as bothersome to us by the way. We hate that we are inconveniencing everyone else. It's only happened to me once in all my flights and that was because we had adjusted our youngest son's schedule so that he would intentionally sleep on the flight. But then we were delayed by almost 2 hours throwing that all out of whack. We felt pretty bad about the couple folks near us, but most were understanding, except one grumpy guy haha.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Great trip report as usual! I hope the parents got a double too, they probably needed it haha.

Edit: by the way, if you have kids and do a lot of flying, do your kids a favor and get ear tubes put in. A lot of kids get them these days anyways. As I noted in another thread, mine both have them. They are a treat on flights now.

Oh, I really felt sorry for the parents - it was clear there wasn't much they could do about it. They were trying at times, but then I think they just let the baby have at it. Considering how loud it was to me, it must have been like a fire alarm beside the ears for them.

The pressure change for ascending and descending is definitely a cause. Most flights where there are babies, you'll get the crying during landing especially, but not a lot at other times in the flight. I guess it depends on the baby. I once had one in the bassinet right in front of me and it didn't make a sound the whole flight. I was probably noisier :)

Flightsimboy wrote:
250 babies surely an exaggeration lol. I have grown to become more tolerant of screaming babies. I mean they are babies right. Though many landing videos uploaded on YouTube mean they have to be muted due to screaming babies :(. I think an adult kicking the seat from behind is more annoying.

The ME3 and TK are very family friendly airlines so be sure to have tons of screaming kids at the time of landing.

It sure felt like 250 babies :) I'm fairly tolerant of it, but when there is more than one and the sound goes on for hours at a time. I didn't exaggerate it at all, it really was extreme sound for an extreme duration. Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but this was shattering.

Totally with you on the snack in a box. It's warm, filling and really tasty. I didn't know that Etihad and Brussels Airlines did something similar. I'm a big fan!

trpmb6 wrote:
I ALWAYS take whatever is given out. Even if I'm not interested in it. Someone else around me will take it. Everything offered on a flight is already baked into your ticket price. Might as well get your money's worth.

In fact, I have a snack from delta still sitting in my vehicle from my last flight with them :white:

I do the same thing, I never refuse anything... I'm also well trained to consume it all.

There have only been a couple of times where I've taken something off the flight and home... I think some of the chocolates from Qatar once, and the odd piccolo bottle of Champagne from British Airways.

lychemsa wrote:
Wow they give Bailey's in economy!!!!

I was surprised, hence why I kept ordering it! Delicious stuff :)

vhtje wrote:
Trent, you need to invest in a pair of these babies: https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/h ... ss-ii.html

Blocks out even the loudest screaming baby. Worth. Every. Penny.

Meanwhile - what were you doing in whY? I thought you only flew Business on longhaul?

Those noise cancelling headphones are praised by the regular travellers. I don't think I travel enough to invest in a pair... yet! I have good Grado headphones but they're not noise canceling and they're open backed. Great sound but only for at home.

I was in Qatar for a job interview so I had no choice. I was happy enough though, as I'd wanted to see what QR were like down the back, and they exceeded my expectations.

DAIAM2002 wrote:
Was on a LH flight FRA-CTA and CTA-FRA some days ago.
On both flight's screaming baby's/toddlers as CTA is a vacation destination for European families.
However both flights were relaxed as my gf gave me some NC Headphones as christmas present.
I thanked her once again after we disembarked from the a/c. :-)

Did your girlfriend have noise cancelling headphones too? Otherwise if you had them and she didn't, you'd be risking a smack to the face for thanking her for those :) :)

Great that you had them though!

Gonzalo wrote:
A week ago I flew SCL-AKL with Latam. For almost 6 hours ( for a 12 hours flight ) we had the pleasant sound of a toddler ( around 2-3 y.o. ) making a bad fake of a crying, just to get more attention from the parents every few minutes. The poor mother did all in her hands to calm down the kid but nothing was effective for more than 5 or 6 minutes. I was separated by a few rows and by two aisles but still hear all the show...I can only imagine how good would be seating right next to that family. A good pair of noise cancelling headphones looks very handy under this circumstances.

Yes, I think the bad thing is the duration. Anyone can put up with it for half an hour, 15 minutes or whatever... but when it goes on and on and on and on and onnnnnnnn... then you really want to jump out of the plane just to make it stop. The poor mother must have been quite embarrassed though. Perhaps children should be sent as cargo with the dogs and cats ;)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!