Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bakestar
Topic Author

MEL-TXL SQ (in J) and EY on the 50 hour voyage

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:35 am

Trip Report II (Part 1) MEL-TXL and the 50 hour voyage
Morning all,
And welcome the Trip Report II (Part 1). This trip report in entirety is a doozy.
Background: As a self-confessed plane geek (or as my partner described me an Aero-sexual) I am also a mad cycling fan. In 2012 I hired a car and followed the Tour de France, which was a dream come true. Coming into 2016, my wings were inching for another flight somewhere and Europe answered the call in terms of its two greatest one-day bike races. Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. Those in the know will know these as two of the Monuments of cycling.
Also incorporated into this trip was family history hunting, meeting old friends and satisfying the plane geek within.
Through airline credit card frugality and previous trips, I had amassed enough points for part of the trip to be Business class on Singapore. The rest on Etihad and her partner airlines.

Part 1 beings in Melbourne and concludes in Berlin, due to the ticketing I had (purposefully) booked took me around 50 hours. Zip-zagging the global.
Enjoy.
Part 1 -The Voyage

Early morning. Through my Virgin Velocity Amex, I was allowed access the Virgin Lounge at MEL.

Rainy start to the day.

The standard A330-200 east to west coast. This would be the shortest hop. A mere 3.5 hours. ;)

On-board service Virgins A330s are good. A great solid product.
This flight: Virgin Australia, VA679, Airbus A330-200
A short stay in Perth, then onto the SilverKris Lounge at PER for everything that a business class ticket can get me.
SilverKris Lounge at PER was nice. Bit small though, and to be honest a tad claustrophobic. But a fine food spread and fully stocked drinks fridge was nice enough. Although with no windows.

So after a little while, I wondered out to see where the action was.
My ride for night. Singapore Airlines, SQ216 A330-300.

My seat for the evening.
Cheeky bubbly before take-off, and we were off!

Little bumpy out of Perth (which is about normal)

Breakfast was shortly served, and decided to go authentic.

After breakfast, I settled in to a cup of coffee and some mixed nuts
I personally find Singapore a fascinating place. With a mix of Chinese, Malayan, Indian and Colonial heritage, it’s a great mini melting pop of Asia as a whole. Plus, given English is still the official language, it’s easy to get around.
However, this time all I would see is Singapore’s SilverKris Lounge at Changi.
Too enough photos of here, apologies.

A nice refreshing apple juice to start next flight onto Hong Kong. Image
Specifically Singapore Airlines SQ856. Another A330-300 flight.

Meal service. No matter how many times, they do this, it always feel special. The laying of the table cloth.
First chance to ‘Book the Cook’ and I went straight for the Lobster!

en-route photos and delay tactics.

Unfortunately my business classing had come to an end. Once again, Singapore (for me) are the bees’ knees of airline service. That being said, my inauguration into Etihad would soon begin.

I nice brew in HKG while awaiting my connection.

And on a rainy day, my plane can into view.
She was the Manchester City livery A330-200. I didn’t quite know how to feel. Privileged I was riding a unique aircraft or as I’m a Manchester United fan, furious! Hahahaha

This leg would take me from Hong Kong to Abu Dhabi would be Etihad Airways flight EY833.
Tad of a scratchy window, but a lovely sunset to end this day. Plus…

Legrooooooom

On-board service and IFE were also very nice.
Had the Hong Kong Chicken (of course!)

After a brief stopover in AUH, I was onto my next and final flight. By this stage, I was pretty much over it. So apologies no photos of AUH or much of the next flight, which was an Air Berlin operated EY1401 Airbus A330 aircraft.

Here is the cabin mid-flight. Full load.

I landed into Berlin Tegal at around 6:30am into about 5 degrees Celsius.

As a seasoned traveller, I made it a point not to go to bed until normal times. However given I had only really obtained 30 minutes of sleep for the ENTIRE journey, this was going to be a struggle.
However, struggle through I did. It must have seemed I was a zombie for most of the day. Walking around Berlin just to stay awake. By 8:30 the sun was down and so was I. In total from Australia to Germany I calculated I must have been awake for at least 50 hours.
The next day my holiday began!....Stay tuned and thanks for reading.
fly'nhi

DAIAM2002

Re: MEL-TXL SQ (in J) and EY on the 50 hour voyage

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:12 pm

50 Hours journey to get to Germany.
You must love our country...;-).

bakestar
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:20 am

5 trips and a 6 month working-holiday should answer your question ;)
fly'nhi

brucetiki

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 am

Crazy trip - but the TR was an enjoyable read. Not very often you get 4 airlines in the one TR too!
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video

bakestar
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:35 am

Crazy trip - but the TR was an enjoyable read. Not very often you get 4 airlines in the one TR too!

Thanks! Funnily enough, as i booked it through Etihad, part of the return trip (stay tuned) was on Alitalia. 3 carriers on the one airline ticket!
fly'nhi

CollegeAviator

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Quite the insane trip! Thanks for sharing - however I did hope to see some more pictures from the AirBerlin flight, given that they are no more. Excitement shooting up high - is that why you were awake during most of the trip? :)