N776AU
Topic Author

Georgia Football ATL-STL-ATL on Delta

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:06 pm

I’m good at procrastinating trip reports in the Fall. I’m already a trip behind, and have two more on the horizon. Probably should get cracking on this one. This trip happened Friday September 21 to Sunday September 23.

Not my first time flying to St. Louis, but it would be my first time going to Columbia to see a football game. Actually, this trip was a combination Father’s Day/birthday gift for my dad, and since I had a companion ticket that would be lost at the end of September, I used that to get my mom on the trip too. Bigger plus for them was that it was stress-free. When you fly with me, all you have to do is show up. Let me take care of the rest. Also our family are St. Louis Cardinals fans as well as being a whole crew of UGA alumni. How convenient that the Cardinals were at home the same weekend Georgia was in town :bouncy:

Friday we got heading toward the airport a little after 6:00am once we got all their stuff loaded (which granted wasn’t much). Once we parked and checked luggage we went to the Club at ATL over on concourse F. It was nice to get away from the craziness for a little bit. Also there is a pretty decent view of departing aircraft from runway 8R.

For us today was back over to concourse B. Have I mentioned how much I really like the new renovations? I do.
Leaving today from almost the end of the concourse, gate B31.

Delta Air Lines Flight 1570
ATL-STL
Depart ATL – 9:42am (was actually 9:53)
Arrive STL – 10:20am (was actually either 10:00 or 10:10. I can’t read the handwriting in my notebook)
McDonnell Douglas MD-88
N908DE

Oh. I haven’t gone on my rant yet about how pissed I was at Delta for the flights on this trip. But, N776AU, why are you upset with Delta? Let me tell you. When I booked these flights, I deliberately chose a more expensive option because both flights were scheduled to be on 757s. Upon looking a few weeks before the flight, I saw that Delta changed both of them to MD-88s :bored: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Literally a downgrade in every way, and worse yet, I could have paid a good bit less money if I had known I was going to be flying on the old, shitty tin cans anyway, or like my Philadelphia trip, chosen another airline altogether.
N908DE waiting for us to get on

I can’t remember where the aircraft was coming in from. For some reason Greensboro, NC is sticking in my mind, but in any case it was a tad late arriving, so we didn’t board until 9:20. Considering we got the whole thing loaded in 33 minutes, not bad.

I put us all in row 21, far enough forward to not go deaf from engine noise.
Out my window was N953DL. I looked where he was going, but I don’t remember now (this is why we don’t procrastinate, kids…)

I’m just observing the happenings on the ramp, and I see them rolling out the huffer cart. That’s cute. That makes 2 MD-88 flights in a row with busted APUs :bored: . Gotta earn that “Maintenance Delay 88” nickname.

We pushed at 9:53 and headed to runway 8R.
Spirit A319 on the way in. Can’t quite make out the tail number.

https://youtu.be/AS5cAAq4goU
Takeoff from runway 8R. I’ll give the aircraft this, the JT8D has a cool sound.
It was a beautiful day to fly out and get some views of Atlanta.
I’m a boring in-flight snacker again. I can’t help it. Unfortunately once we got away from Atlanta there were clouds the whole way, so not many photo opportunities
This flight was shorter than I remember. It seemed as soon as we got up to altitude we were on the way back down.
It was a good bit grayer in Missouri.
I’ve never been on the “correct” side for an approach or departure from St. Louis, so this actually was a first for me being able to see everything.
We were approaching runway 30R
https://youtu.be/gxhPhMZzpRE
Video of landing. Once we did that we went to gate A6 and got our baseball/football weekend started.

Once we got checked in to our hotel at the airport we took the train in to town for the day. First stop was a barbecue joint we went to on a recommendation, Pappy’s Smokehouse. I wish I had taken pictures. I didn’t. Y’all, it was so good, maybe the best barbecue I’ve ever had. Also there were a bunch of Dawg people there. Getting from the train station to there required a walk through campus at St. Louis University. It was a nice campus.
Best building on campus by far is this one. What more needs to be said?
I hadn’t been up the Arch in 10 years, so it seemed like the right thing to do.
It was rather crowded.
Oh, and of course, the view.
And culminating with the Cardinals game that night. I haven’t been to a Cardinals game in St. Louis since 2002 at the old Busch Stadium.
There were donuts at Busch Stadium, and they were fantastic.
Ended with a Cardinals win. Great game. It was super late when we got out, after midnight. I had a rental car reservation for 6:30am the next day. Suffice it to say little sleep was had.
I got up really early and picked up my rental car before going back and picking up my parents and heading west to Columbia.
Nice stadium, and great views.
Oh hey, a flyover!
Victory. Go Dawgs. I enjoyed Columbia. It was a very nice campus, and good people.

Sunday was time to fly home. We were up at 5 for our flight just after 7:00am. Crowds were basically nonexistent at the airport, so everything was a breeze. We timed it, and we went from bus, to check in, through security (and not even Precheck), and sitting at the gate in 12 minutes. Try doing that in Atlanta.

Delta Air Lines Flight 1080
STL-ATL
Depart STL – 7:10am (was actually 7:06am)
Arrive ATL – 9:44am (was actually 9:24)
McDonnell Douglas MD-88 :bored:
N924DL

Again, not the 757 I was promised some months back.
I was seated in 23A this morning.
N347NB was going to Minneapolis.
Lots of Delta activity around the A gates this morning.
We made our way to runway 12R.
https://youtu.be/Ve9RQQGCWSs
Takeoff was long and weak.
The sun was right in my eyes, so there weren’t many good photo ops.
Eventually we made our way toward runway 8L and buttered the bread on landing. Once the slats were extended there was a very loud buzzing sound that went on all the way until landing. It’s pretty audible in the video I took. No exactly the most pleasant thing to listen to over sweet engine harmonies. No matter now. As I look, the aircraft has been retired already.
https://youtu.be/supIXjpRKKY
There’s the video for you.
We pulled in to gate B16 next to N910DE, an MD-88 I took home from Washington Dulles a few years back.
N924DL was turning around to Charleston, SC.

All in all it was a great trip. Everything in Missouri couldn’t have gone any better. Delta’s people are always great, but I’m still very, very disappointed on the aircraft downgrades. I will always avoid the MD-88s whenever possible. Can’t wait for the A220s and A321s to come in and replace.

I have one more trip to write on, and two more on the horizon. Here’s to more flying. Hopefully my errors were minimal. Thanks for reading :wave:
Careful, doors are closing, will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

stl07

Re: Georgia Football ATL-STL-ATL on Delta

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:57 am

N776AU wrote:
I could have paid a good bit less money if I had known I was going to be flying on the old, shitty tin cans anyway, or like my Philadelphia trip, chosen another airline altogether.

Great report. What did you think about the train? I hear many stories about how the red line (from the airport to the city) is "dangerous" and "suspicious," but I don't take the red line often enough to confirm

Next time you come to STL, fly Air Choice One. $80 for a CESSNA flight from ATL to STL.

N776AU
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:32 am

stl07 wrote:
N776AU wrote:
I could have paid a good bit less money if I had known I was going to be flying on the old, shitty tin cans anyway, or like my Philadelphia trip, chosen another airline altogether.

Great report. What did you think about the train? I hear many stories about how the red line (from the airport to the city) is "dangerous" and "suspicious," but I don't take the red line often enough to confirm

I'm not sure I would want to be on it much after dark without the baseball crowds, but not the worst ever during the day. I'd put it on par with Marta in Atlanta in the shadiness category.
Careful, doors are closing, will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

Kno

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Sorry to here about that luck with the 757, its the last 757 service to STL and I've taken it before.

FlyRow

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Nice trip report! Shame that you wanted to go 757, but maybe the MD88 is getting more special and rarer to catch!

Secondly, still amazed that football in America isn't football (and played with hands).
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

maps4ltd

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Kno wrote:
Sorry to here about that luck with the 757, its the last 757 service to STL and I've taken it before.

Yeah, the STL-ATL route is still mostly MD-88s as of December 2018. During the summer, it was the Maddogs and 739s, but they switched the 752s for the 739s sometime in August or September, so it's now back to 752s and MD88s. I was looking for flights in August 2019, and it's currently showing all 739s on that route, but given DL's fondness for switching around planes, I don't think that will last.