Domthepax
Topic Author

Flying to the mystical FAROE ISLANDS, SAS report with video

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:11 am

Hello everyone,

this is very exciting for me. After years and years of reading hundreds of trip reports, I decided it was time for me to contribute as well. So please have patience with this very first attempt and I welcome all sort of constructive feedback. You are also welcome to check a video report of this trip. The link can be found at the bottom of this report. Let's get to it.

FLIGHT DETAILS
SAS Scandinavian Airlines
August 20th 2018
CPH - FAE, SK1777
11.00 - 12.15
A320neo Reg. LN-RGM (2 years old)

In August this year I took a trip to the Faroe Islands to hike. Living in Copenhagen gave me two options for the flights. Either Scandinavian Airlines or the Faroese Atlantic Airways. My priority was to book with Atlantic Airways, as that would mean a new airline would be checked off on my list. However, as I wanted to travel in the high summer season I knew that price would be the deciding factor. In February I saw a facebook post of a SAS deal for about 700DKK (cca 93EUR) one way and I did not want to take my chances and decided to lock the deal.

Six months later, on August 20th I find myself at Copenhagen Airport. For some days, I have been thinking about buying a seat to secure a window seat, as I wanted to film a video trip report as well and get good take off and landing footage. At the end I did not buy a seat and it also turned out not to be necessary, because you can actually chose your seat for free while checking in on your phone. At the airport I scanned my phone at a small bag tag machine which looked more like a ticket machine at a bus stop and I got my bag tag. Now, I really like to think of myself as a modern guy who is up for the challenges of the modern world and I am a big fan of everything digital, but I have to admit that I have been avoiding for years the self-service check-in. I rarely fly with a bag, so I always just check in on my phone and go straight to security. I was always convinced that if I put the bag tag on myself, I would mess up somehow and my bag would end up circumnavigating the globe and I would never see it again. Ever. It was time however to toughen up and face this enigma. I did it. Bag tag on, I scanned it, waved it goodbye and proudly marched to the security check.

As a proper aviation geek I was airside 2 hours before departure, so I could stroll around and do some filming. I only fly approximately ten times per year, so when I can, I make sure that I am at the airport in good time to enjoy a bit the airport buzz. Each time there is a must stop for a carrot-ginger juice and then I'm ready to explore and film. Copenhagen Airport is beautiful, but definitely in need of the expansion that it is undergoing at the moment, because the amount of passengers surprises me each time I am there. The departure was from the SAS concourse D and the boarding went very smooth.

Once on board, I was very surprised how fast we were off the gate and the taxiing also took less then 5 minutes. In no time we were in the air. I even had the thought that maybe SAS uses the D concourse because its location ensures the shortest taxiing time to the runways. That however is just my own consiracy theory, I do not know that for a fact. The take off was somewhat windy and turbulent. I was in 28F surrounded by an Italian tourist group. It is always a bit awkward when I try to film in public, because I want to capture as much as I can, but at the same time respect other people's privacy. The Italian ladies seemed however completely unbothered, which was great for me.

I am an Airbus guy, so I was very excited for my first 320neo flight. SAS has a very simple, clean interior. The cabin felt cozy and definitely a huge upgrade from my previous experience with them. Although I have to admit it is definitely because the aircraft was relatively new and felt fresh and bright. In the span of the last 10 years I flew their CRJ900 to Prague, MD81 to Vienna and 737 to Oslo and a321 to Manchester. I am always excited to try out different aircraft types, but this airline never made a great impression on me to be honest. The aircrafts felt worn and I was not lucky to have a service that would be memorable in any way. This time was different. I am sure that the aircraft helped too, but even the service and the crew seemed much friendlier and more dedicated than before. In European economy they serve free coffee or tea and they did refills as well along the journey. I liked the design of their cup so much I kept it as a souvenir I also got myself a chicken sandwich for 55DKK (7.4 EUR), which was tasty, however it would be no problem for me to down five of them in a row in order not to feel hungry anymore.

For years the inflight magazine of Norwegian was unbeatable in my own rankings, because I thought they had interesting articles and an original editorial design (maybe someone else also appreciates the red N letter and the way they use it through the magazine?...sorry these small details make my life full). This time however, Scandinavian Traveller got close. Maybe I just got lucky with an interesting issue, but I dug into it and read all the way until I felt that the plane started the descent. I grabbed my phone and started filming again. Of course I have watched a couple of videos landing on the Faroe Islands, but I was not prepared for this sort of stunning view. As we were approaching the airport, which is situated on Vágar island, we flew past other islands. The islands' peaks were covered with creamy, foamy clouds and at the same time there was a bright sunlight hitting them. What a great sight. I am always very happy landing in Copenhagen, because the bridge connecting Denmark and Sweden is such a beautiful view for someone who loves architecture, but this landing was just special. The captain announced that we should be prepared for a bumpy landing. It did not feel particularly violent, but we did break hard from the moment we touched the runway. After getting my bag I had over an hours waiting time for the bus to the capital Torshavn. I got myself some coffee and watched the plane do the turn around and take off back to Copenhagen. From the airport you can get a shuttle bus to the capital city Torshavn. The journey takes 1 hour. Or you can use the helicopter shuttle, that takes 12 minutes. This time I took the bus, but two days later I was already sitting in the Atlantic Airways helicopter flying from Torshavn to the island of Suduroy, but more about that in my upcoming trip report.

I hope you enjoyed my first report and if you would also like to see that stunning landing I mentioned, you are welcome to check my video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kMOoxJcn-s&t=135s

Fly safe everyone, Bests,
Dominik

BAViscount

Re: Flying to the mystical FAROE ISLANDS, SAS report with video

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 am

It saddens me that this report has been up for a week now, yet I'm the first to comment! In the "old days" I'm sure there would have been many more comments by now. Anyway, nice report, and loved the video...I've commented on that too :) .
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barbados

jaybird

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:29 am

Nice trip report - loved the video too .. thanks! :-)

mke717spotter

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:18 am

Nice trip report and excellent video to boot! I've sort of had a strange fascination with the Faroe Islands ever since playing the 2010 FIFA World Cup video game and undertaking the qualification process with them. :silly: It seems similar to Iceland, a place I'd very much like to visit!

Domthepax wrote:
For some days, I have been thinking about buying a seat to secure a window seat, as I wanted to film a video trip report as well and get good take off and landing footage. At the end I did not buy a seat and it also turned out not to be necessary, because you can actually chose your seat for free while checking in on your phone. At the airport I scanned my phone at a small bag tag machine which looked more like a ticket machine at a bus stop and I got my bag tag. Now, I really like to think of myself as a modern guy who is up for the challenges of the modern world and I am a big fan of everything digital, but I have to admit that I have been avoiding for years the self-service check-in. I rarely fly with a bag, so I always just check in on my phone and go straight to security. I was always convinced that if I put the bag tag on myself, I would mess up somehow and my bag would end up circumnavigating the globe and I would never see it again. Ever. It was time however to toughen up and face this enigma. I did it. Bag tag on, I scanned it, waved it goodbye and proudly marched to the security check.

I hate being nickle and dimed into paying for a window seat, but I just don't want to risk the possibility of not being able to get one during check-in. I've noticed that UA makes you self-tag your bags at ORD now as well. Perhaps this is more commonly instituted at larger stations in order to make the check-in process more efficient/speedy.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

crownvic

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am

Very well done..great report!

faucett

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:07 am

Great TR and loved the video. Thanks for sharing
faucett

toby25

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks for the TR, I had to look at Google Maps to find out where the Faroe Islands were. Your report is very timely as next week I will be trying them for the first time. I have a transit at CPH for 4 hours. Is this enough time to go into the city? I heard it is only 15 mins away from the airport so planning on spending maybe 1.5 hours in the city before taking the metro back to the airport. Will be flying LHR - CPH - HKG so I hope the first sector I get lucky and bag a A320NEO aircraft. I exchanged a few Danish Krone as I wanted to buy some gifts if I managed to get into the city.

I read that the metro ticket is valid for one hour so if I stay in the city say for 40 mins could I use the same ticket I took from the airport back or would I need to buy another ticket?

Will check out your YouTube video as well.

Thanks
Toby
Seriously dude! I swear!