Another day, another easyjet SEN-AMS - incl. a former TWA DC9 cockpit camero

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Reg: OE-LQA
Type: A319-100
Built: 2009
To: Amsterdam (AMS)
Flight: 36 minutes

Another day another easyjet.

Fresh from a trip to Reykjavik https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1408067 after one night in my own bed it was time to head off again, this time for work.

Being based near Liverpool St station in London, Southend Airport is a reasonable choice because of the regular direct train link.

Unfortunately Southend Airport doesn’t come up easily on any of the self service ticket machines nor is there any signage to help travellers. Oh well.

The train had seen better days and didn’t have any space for luggage, but I was impressed that the driver announced the airport station three minutes before arrival. That gave everyone time to get their belongings together.

The station and terminal are located right next to one another.

Having checked in using the app, I walked straight up to security where there was no queue. From stepping off the train to being airside took a grand total of 7 minutes. Stunning for a European airport.

I decided to take advantage of the ‘Skylife’ lounge. Upon entrance the desk host were careful to explain that there is no hot food and that my flight would be called in about 45 minutes. She was welcoming and I appreciated her brief.

Inside there was a wide range of self service drinks, plus snack food and pancakes. Overall it was surprisingly nice and gave a chance to do some work in peace and quiet.

Airside at Southend has a few food options, but little seating. It is very compact and easy to navigate.

Boarding was a little stressful as everybody was penned in a good twenty minutes before boarding commenced. I can see the point of this in a large airport, but with such a tiny airport this was unnecessary.

Boarding via the forward door I was greeted by an older and very chirpy cabin crew. This bunch were very friendly and bright.

This particular aircraft still sported easyjet’s original Airbus interior, which is very basic but in my view quite bright and airy. Of course easyjet's A319's have the A320's two overwing exits.

Leg room is just enough, no more or less.

It was a very short taxi to Southend’s runway, although we did sit at the end for quite some time.

We took off before performing a sharp 90 degree turn towards Amsterdam.

Time in the air was around 25 minutes, with us staying low at around 20,000 feet. The cabin crew did a very fast drinks run and it was surprising they managed to serve a full flight in such a tight time.

The crew announced “another early arrival”, but unfortunately we had not only a very long taxi, but a 20 minute wait until our gate became free. During this time quite a few people decided they desperately needed the toilet and a steady stream of passengers used the forward toilet.

A highlight for me was the airport's DC9, located right inside the arrivals hall.

Although painted in KLM livery, this aircraft actually came from TWA.

You can find out more about the project here https://www.aels.nl/projects/dc9-nose-section-schiphol

It was an easy journey into Amsterdam by the train.

This is such a short flight so it is hard to mess things up. Although the train journey to Southend Airport is not fantastic, it's not bad either and such an easy journey from train to gate can't be beat in London, not even by City Airport. easyjet's boarding lets them down, but overall the staff were very friendly and efficient. Coupled to cheap fares and on time flights there is very little to complain about.

FlyRow

Re: Another day, another easyjet SEN-AMS - incl. a former TWA DC9 cockpit camero

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Nice Report!

FYI: why they do early boarding/pen holding is that they can check a few things quicker:
- is everyone there, or do we have no shows (bag offloads?)
- prevents people from staying behind / boarding late, resulting in a large chance for earlier finished boarding.
- speeds up the boarding process as a hole.

In short, it gaurentees a shorter turnaround, it's standard LCC practice in a lot of LCC-airports.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380