DohwanKim747
Topic Author

Spring Break 2018: ATL-EWR-FCO-CPH-JFK-SAV (Part 1)

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:45 am

Hello everyone! This is my first ever TR, both on Airliners.net and anywhere else. Before I give you the full details of my little transatlantic jaunt, I will give you some background information about it. This was a high school trip to Rome that my Latin teacher plans every year, mainly for juniors. However, he made an exception for me, a sophomore at the time, because I happened to be in an advanced class with all the juniors. All seemed to be going to plan, until my quiz bowl schedule wrecked the trip plans completely. My family and I decided at first to cancel the trip, but then we came up with a plan: I would go with the quiz bowl team to the state tournament the same day the rest of my Latin class was scheduled to fly to Rome from Savannah to Rome via Atlanta and Amsterdam on Delta and KLM. As for me, my mom would pick me up immediately following the tournament and drop me off at Atlanta, where I would fly to Rome via Istanbul on Turkish Airlines, aboard their A330 RetroJet! But then, the tour operator which had planned the original trip suggested a combo of Delta and Norwegian to save some time and money. Consequently, a few days before the trip, I was hastily rebooked onto Delta flight from Atlanta to Newark, and onto a Norwegian flight to Rome from Newark. And in a flurry of frantic phone calls and rescheduling, my trip began, my first time flying unaccompanied to anywhere except Korea.

Trophy:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1621 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

It's March 9, and my bags are packed. My mom drops me off at school at 8:15 A.M. All is normal, except I am lugging a suitcase in addition to my binder and book bag. Inside my suitcase are all my essentials for a 10-day trip and some cold weather gear (you'll learn why in a bit). The day takes agonizingly long, but finally, lunch time! I hastily meet up with some of my friends and fellow quiz bowl teammates. After lunch, I grab my trusty suitcase and make my way to the team bus for the trip to Macon, having said a few awkward goodbyes. After a three hour ride, we arrive at our hotel and grab some dinner, which happened to be at a nearby pizza restaurant. Having filled our stomachs, my two roommates and I watched some History Channel episodes and a football game before falling asleep. The next morning, we headed to the quiz bowl match venue, a local high school, where we eventually settled for 2nd place following a few intense hours. Soon, it was time to head to ATL, which was just under an hour away. At this point, if you're tired of reading my tedious words, feel free to skip ahead and instead admire the pictures like a children's book.

AeroMexico Connect E190 landing as we approached ATL:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1622 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

1st Flight: DL2070
Aircraft: Boeing 717-2BD
Reg. No.: N939AT (last 717 built)
Date: March 10, 2018
Route: ATL-EWR
Class: Comfort Plus

After parking the car at the domestic terminal garage, my mom took me to the check-in kiosks, where we printed my boarding pass and said goodbye for the next 10 days. I went through TSA, which was a surprisingly quick process, and headed to board the SkyTrain to get to my gate. Since I still had a couple hours before boarding, I set about working on a few drawings and of course, plane spotting.

My ride:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1624 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

One of Delta's new A321-211s:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1625 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Delta MD-88:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1627 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Delta 777-232/ER:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1629 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Southwest 737-7H4:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1631 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Another Delta MD-88:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1632 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Delta A330-323E
[photoid]ImageIMG_1637 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

My first time seeing a 737 MAX 8! Registered N8705Q.
[photoid]ImageIMG_1634 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Soon, it was time to board N939AT, the last 717 ever to roll off the line at Long Beach, which would operate my first ever 717 flight. I can now officially say that I've flown on 3 out of 4 major DC-9 family members: DC-9 (series 30/40/50 with Northwest; as a baby in the early 2000s), MD-80 (MD-88 with Delta), and now the 717 (again, with Delta). I made my way down the jetway and was greeted by a pleasant crew, before heading to my seat, and oh the horror, an AISLE seat :eek: ... Thankfully, my friendly seat mate, who boarded shortly after, was more than willing to trade the window for the aisle. The legroom was adequate for this leg (pun intended) to Newark.

Legroom:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1639 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1640 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Yes, that's a Korean Air amenity kit in the setback pocket (it's mine)...
[photoid]ImageIMG_1647 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Just to be sure I'm on the right jet:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1641 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Cabin shot:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1649 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Some views before departure:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1642 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]
[photoid]ImageIMG_1648 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

My second A320neo sighting, 1st one on camera:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1651 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Boarding had been a bit delayed, but after all issues were sorted, the cabin crew performed their final checks and the safety demonstration. We soon pushed back and taxied to the runway.

Views while taxiing:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1653 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

We meet again, N902NK!
[photoid]ImageIMG_1652 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

One of VS's newest (dare I say, used) fleet members; ex AirBerlin, named "Daydream Believer":
[photoid]ImageIMG_1656 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

After waiting for several minutes and watching several aircraft, including a VS A346 land, it was our turn for takeoff, and boy the 717 sure is a pocket rocket!

Takeoff and climb views:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1659 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1662 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1664 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1665 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

30 minutes after departure, inflight service began, with the ever-so-famous Biscoff cookies and a drink, a Sprite in my case. I continued drawing and occasionally chatting with my seat mate, who was curious about where I was headed. All good things come to an end, though, and soon, the Manhattan skyline appeared, signaling that we were approaching EWR.

Inflight views:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1667 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1693 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1694 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1697 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

Descent and arrival views:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1699 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1700 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1703 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1705 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1708 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

[photoid]ImageIMG_1709 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

The best of this flight was still to come, though, since I was granted my first ever flight deck visit on a commercial airliner :D! The cockpit crew were exceptionally friendly, as were the cabin crew.

[photoid]ImageIMG_1710 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

One of my happiest moments while flying:
[photoid]ImageIMG_1712 by kimdohwan, on Flickr[/photoid]

To be continued...