N776AU
Topic Author

The Annual Bowling Tournament - ATL-GPT-ATL on Delta

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:54 pm

My life of procrastination continues. This trip happened Saturday October 20 and Sunday October 21, 2018. It’s January 19 as I write this. Reasonable, right?

This was my annual bowling tournament in the Gulfport/Biloxi, Mississippi area. As per the usual, my friends drove down Friday. With my work schedule, I opted to fly down Saturday.

It was kind of an early morning. I was up and out before 6am. Not too much was happening in the airport this morning.
The new canopy over the drop off area is looking good.
I breezed my way over first to concourse F to grab a quick breakfast at the Club, and then took it back to gate C47 for my flight. My aircraft arrived just before 8am, I think from Evansville, Indiana. It was so long ago now I couldn’t tell you for sure.
Operating our flight today was N953AT, a scrappy looking 717. Love these things.

Delta Air Lines Flight 1081
ATL-GPT
Depart ATL – 9:07am (was actually 9:04)
Arrive GPT – 9:24am (was actually 9:28)
Boeing 717-200
N953AT

I was sitting in 18A, one of the best seats on the aircraft. Out the window to my left was N947AT, the 717 I flew down to Gulfport last year. As you can see, it was starting to rain and turn in to a rather gross day in Atlanta.
We pushed at 9:04 and taxied to runway 26L.
https://youtu.be/J-fMf0RfSX0
Video of takeoff. I think it turned out ok, all things considered. Unfortunately, once the little scratches on the outside window collected water and froze up, they stayed that way the rest of the flight, so my views were very bad.
See what I mean on the scratches? I guess you could say it looked like the heavens opening up, but it was just a scratched window.
I guess if there’s any consolation, there wasn’t anything to see with clouds, plus the flight was less than an hour anyway.
https://youtu.be/mVzr6axgOg0
We brought it in on runway 14 to gate 5, and it was time for a fun weekend of bowling and gambling.
N953AT was turning around to ATL.
While stopping at Walmart really fast before bowling, there was a nice surprise landing (and a photographer too lazy to crop it).
On Saturday I remembered how to bowl. I also managed to shoot a fine aircraft number :biggrin: We won’t talk about how I bowled Sunday.

After bowling Sunday, even before my friends got out of there, I was on a Lyft to the airport. In the past I’ve always opted for the last flight of the evening, but every year I’ve been to the airport in time to make the earlier flight, so I booked myself on the earlier flight today, violating my no MD-88 policy to do so. It would save me several hours if the schedule held up. I was dropped at the airport at 12:10 for my 2:00 flight. I didn’t have any bags to check, and security took me all of 45 seconds.
Nothing really to see around the terminal, except for N13988 going to Houston.
My aircraft arrived at 12:58. Today was N973DL, an MD-88 only 18 months younger than me.

Delta Air Lines flight 2577
GPT-ATL
Depart GPT – 2:00pm (was actually 3:17)
Arrive ATL – 4:25pm (was actually 5:24)

I was sitting in 23E today. Not much to see, but here’s a photo. We pushed at 1:56, and during engine startup, WHAT A SHOCK, there’s a maintenance issue :bored: Jesus Christ, I knew there was a reason I made a personal policy to never fly these aircraft. That makes 3 of my last 4 MD-88 flights that have had mechanical problems. They’re old pieces of shit that are many years past their prime. Seriously, when the only other airlines operating this thing are in the third world, maybe it’s time to let them go.

So back to the gate we went as we waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually a maintenance crew that had to drive in fixed whatever it was that needed fixing, and we went back out again at 3:17 toward runway 32. We sat there for several minutes before moving on to the runway. I assume it was for slotting in Atlanta. The way they have that down to a science is always fascinating for me.
https://youtu.be/WE1PPTY5PMo
Takeoff was a turn and burn from runway 32 with some pretty good views. I wish I had left it rolling a little longer.
The weather was good for some views of the area.

Between there and Atlanta there wasn’t much to see. There was a round of cabin service that barely made it to me. Short as the flight and as large as the aircraft is, it’s surprising it got that far.
After some descending and snaking we lined up for runway 9R.
https://youtu.be/6vNycc-oNpo
Greasing it on to runway 9R. Check out that 747 that we pass.
Some widebody action at concourse F
And some N570JB action at concourse D
And N687DL action at concourse B. I flew this guy to Cincinnati way back in 2008.
We pulled in to gate B7, and I headed home
Last aircraft I saw was N908DE, the aircraft I flew to St. Louis a month or so earlier.
N920DE was a couple gates over. Don’t remember where he was going.

So I survived another MD-88 trip. My policy stays in place to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. Love the 717s. It was a fun weekend, and always great to fly some place. Hopefully my errors are minimal. I still have 2 more trip reports to catch up on. Maybe I’ll stop procrastinating on those too. Thanks for reading :wave:
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

Super80Fan

Re: The Annual Bowling Tournament - ATL-GPT-ATL on Delta

Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm avoiding Delta's A321's now, they might be "newer" but I always have issue on them and they're very uncomfortable.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

evank516

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Don't care how old they are, love the MD-88s!

Nice report too, and uh, we won't talk about my bowling abilities :lol:

MarcoPoloWorld

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 pm

In all their simplicity, gotta love these local/regional trip reports. And wow, at first I though you were catching that United plane back on your return trip!... Thanks for sharing.

September11

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:00 am

Neat trip report - and good bowling on Saturday. What bowling ball did you use?
Airliners.net of the Future

N776AU
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 pm

September11 wrote:
Neat trip report - and good bowling on Saturday. What bowling ball did you use?

I have an old-school Columbia 300 Scout Black urethane from the mid-to-late 90s. That ball is so smooth. Urethane changed my game for the better.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.