Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (4): The Comfortable CRJ?! (UA4851 ORD-FAR Mar '18 Y)

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:12 am

United Express (Air Wisconsin) UA4851 / ZW4851
Chicago O'Hare International Airport T1 (ORD/KORD), IL to Fargo Hector International Airport (FAR/KFAR)
March 17th 2018
Departure 0845 hours CDT, arrival 1049 hours CDT
Seat 8A, Main Cabin
N471ZW, 17.4 years old CRJ-200ER
1st flight on Air Wisconsin
3rd flight on United Express
10th flight on CRJ-200
11th flight on any CRJ
Route: PMPKN NEATO DLLAN RONIC BAE GEP FAR
Filed altitude: 34000 feet
Flight aware link
The 87th trip report!

BACKGROUND
This is the last of four flights during our spring break trip to New York last year. Having flown on a Embarer (ERJ-145), Boeing (B777-200ER), Airbus (A320-200), it was the fourth manufacturer thanks to the CRJ-200ER. Now a lot of you would probably remember Following a quick bathroom break at Terminal 1 after the uneventful-but-PTU-sound-ringing-in-my-head A320 flight from EWR, we walked to the other side of Concourse B - the wide body side. The lovely girlfriend lined up at Starbucks to kick off the morning, while I did some more planespotting. Another close encounter with a Boeing 777 - this one being a domestic one that had come in from Honolulu, albeit a little late.

Coffee to kick things off, coffee of the most basic kind...

Hello there, beastly Boeing! :)

Just like the last time we did a quick walk over to Concourse C because there was time to kill. However being kinda tired and there was not enough time to photograph these planes. Besides they were all 737s anyway, so…

Walking back to concourse B it was a more of a A320 story. UA1626 back to EWR was on for an on time departure.

Walking towards the regional gates it sure got very cramped in the terminal area. I kinda got the feeling that Concourse E saw mostly Embraer departures, while Concourse F was mostly CRJ departures. Specifically, Air Wisconsin. But do correct me if I'm wrong.

Air Canada Express - enjoying the livery while it lasts...

United RJs

To the Foxtrot!

On the way to we saw an ad with Josh Duhamel promoting whatever little bit there was of North Dakota which we found out to be hilarious.
Look at that, ND making it's non-existent mark among the top guns!

Due to some operational delay of another CRJ-200 departing from F28, our gate changed to F22 which was very close by. No big deal. If anything I was actually surprised to see many CRJs around because when I think O’Hare I usually think ERJ-145s, but I guess you learn something every time you travel!

There was no F16 parked at F16, it was a ERJ-175… :rotfl:

Anyway, N417ZW showed up at Gate 22 a little before it’s scheduled time. It was quite the tight squeeze maneuvering all the planes in. This had come in from Green Bay, Wisconsin, Air Wisconsin’s home. A 37 minute flight. we parked ourselves with a decent view of the activity - one of which included an Air China B777F. ‘Oh, oh my wish! order must be on that one!’, quipped my girlfriend.

I quite like the new Alaska Airlines livery

In the meantime I noticed the activity around N417ZW just prior to it’s departure. A crew change happened during this time with the 2 pilots and flight attendant board to operate to Fargo. Of course - the first officer stepped out for a little bit to complete the pre-flight check. It did look like she had an Indian background. Amazing.

THE CRJ CONUNDRUM
I mentioned in my previous trip report of my general dislike for the CRJ-200 over time. There really isn’t much to choose from on these birds between the US3’s regionals. I just wanted to get this flight going & done quite quickly. The saving grace was the fact that I managed to snag the two emergency exit seats on port side, 8A & 8B. Even better - I could select these for free!

BOARDING - MAYBE IT WON'T BE AS BAD?!
Boarding was called 21 minutes to departure time. Dropped off our baggage to pick up later on in Fargo. We were onboard at 0826 hours to a largely welcoming flight attendant, Dakota.

The cabin itself looked similar to what you’d find on the SkyWests and Endeavors of the world..err, United States. Nothing too major, but I wasn’t expecting the surprising amount of legroom in 8A & 8B! With the law requiring bags to be stored up in the bins, I settled in for what would be a pretty comfortable flight on the CRJ-200!

The ERJ at F16...

AMAZING leg room! And of course, the girlfriend took a glorious opportunity to interject...

Boarding was completed pretty quick as Dakota came around to check with our responsibilities at the emergency exit seats - with great legroom comes great responsibility! :praise: I noticed the last of the baggage those were get checked being loaded on to the CRJ-200. The announcements happened - a surprisingly quick 1hr05min across to Fargo seemed impressive, but unrealistic. This was soon confirmed by the Captain - it would be a 1hr20min flight to calm winds, clear skies and 11F in Fargo.

YAY! My bag is on there!

Cabin

DEPARTURE
There were quite a RJs departing at this hour - the lack of movement meant that most people were starting to fall asleep. Wasn’t too much of a delay for us thankfully, we pushed back at 0847 hours, just 2 minutes late. Engines fired up but we had to wait for our clearance to taxi. Was interesting to see another CRJ-200 take our place at Gate F22 within 6 minutes of pushing us back. Quite efficient!

Pushback & start Up

Pushback

Taking our gate, just 6 minutes after we pushed back...

Eventually got our taxi clearance 10 minutes after departure time, it was going to be quite the long taxi to Runway 09R. About 15 or 20 other regional jets made their way to the runway, too. Here are some pictures:

Boeing, Embraer and (Air)bus! :devil:

Lined up with Runway 09R at 0903 hours, 18 minutes after departure time. Pretty soon we were off and airborne rather quickly before making a lengthy bank back towards the west. Flew over some pretty cool airports part of Chicago’s class B airspace. A smooth climb up to 34000 feet.

Take off video

O'Hare, until next time!

Chicago Executive - PWK

INFLIGHT
The scenery got whiter below - the more deep in to the mid west, the more snow covered it got. What a way to get back to ND, huh! Service was split in to 2 parts, the first being stroopwaffels for all, the 2nd being the drink Service. A request for 2 stroopwaffels for us each was greeted with no frown whatsoever. So far so good!

Cannot go wrong with this!!

For the 2nd round of service, the drinks, I got myself a ginger ale. Nice to see a crew member enthusiastic to be there!

Another airport - not sure which one though...

Setback

Safety Card

More in to the west? More in to the snow...

Responsibilities...

UNFORTUNATE FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT
The flight was an uneventful one, for the most part. I was quite comfortable in 8A with the extra legroom. I was loving it - a comfortable CRJ flight?! No way! But here is where things got a little interesting: the passenger in 9C was clearly quite tired from the on-goings of this morning flight: they snored. Really loud. So loud to the extent that it was no longer a question of some of us passengers hiding our laughter any more, but for how much longer one would laugh with every snore. Unfortunately hilarious. Even the flight attendant couldn’t hide his chuckle while checking on us! This was about as interesting as it got.

I headed for the lavatory at the back, and just like the ERJ-145 it was quite cramped, but that’s understandable given that these RJs are tiny to begin with. It was quite clean.

Just under an hour in to the flight we were over the hometown of rivals that don’t have a hub in ORD: Minneapolis, the home of Northwe..er…Delta.

DESCENT, APPROACH, ARRIVAL
Arrival preparation announcements were done, usual jing-bang as we descended down over North-western Minnesota. Coming up from the Southern end we had to go towards the north and line up with runway 18 for arrival. The same runway I had landed on a few weeks ago during my night cross country.

Runway in sight!

The Red River, completely frozen!

Looking at the smoke from the factory it didn’t look like it was very windy at all,if anything a very light breeze from the south in addition to clear skies. Lined up with the runway, all looking pretty sweet as we touched down at 1027 hours after a flying time of 1hr27min.

Landing video

Taxied off towards the apron where our ride got a picture of us:

A Delta Connection CRJ-900LR had gone tech in Fargo, so it was being prepped to head back to MSP after 2 nights of being stuck.

An on schedule Delta flight:

Docked at gate 5 just fine at 1032 hours, 17 minutes before time. Waited at the jet bridge before collecting our gate checked baggage, and were on our way home back to Grand Forks!

On the way to Grand Forks we found this massive tractor on the I-29 that reminded us of a story we told my cousin: imagine this being in Manhattan, NYC would actually come to a standstill!

I also got another prompt email from United after these flights. It was nothing but praise, to be honest.

CONCLUSION
It is quite telling that the 2 regional arm flights of United were better than the mainline flights. 3 of the 4 were well on time, but the cabin crew on the regional flights felt more personable. And surprise surprise, the seat was most comfortable on the CRJ of all! Seat 8A, all day, any day! All in all, a great trip with United especially with the price paid, I have no complaints whatsoever, but will probably make an effort to avoid ORD as much as possible, if at all viable. Following this trip things started to look up for me as well as I finally managed to log my first couple of solo flights in addition to romping away towards my PPL - and with that, the plans for my summer trip to India was really starting to come alive….

My other trip reports:
A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (3): Red Eye hub-to-hub on the A320 (UA2139 EWR-ORD Mar '18 Y)(video trip report)
A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (2) - DeIcing Delays; The Big Boeing 777! (UA1995 Y ORD-FAR Mar' 18)(video trip report)
A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (1) - United Express/ExpressJet ERJ-145LR (UA4082 Y FAR-ORD Mar' 18)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (11): The cramped CRJ conundrum (DL3896 MSP-GFK, CRJ-200LR Jan '18)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (10): Frozen Fuel Truck - uncertainty ensues! (DL461 JFK-MSP, B717-200 Jan '18)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (9): BA's logo jet, the uncertainty of NYC's winter storm! (BA173 LHR-JFK, B747-400 Jan '18)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (8): The Red Eye 747! (BA142, DEL-LHR, B747-400 Jan '18, pics)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (7): Vistara's amazing Business Class! (UK778 CCU-DEL A320 Jan '18, pics & video TR)(video trip report)

*NO FLIGHTS* Wobbly Winter '17/18 (6): Himalayas, Palam Air Force Museum, Heavily Delayed Rajdhani Express
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (5): Fly Smart? Not quite: The GoAir Debut! (G8128 CCU-DEL A320 Dec'17, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (4): Efficient Air India! (AI401 DEL - CCU B787 Dec'17, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (3): Elegantly British? (BA143 LHR-DEL B747-400 WT Dec'17, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (2): A British Concorde, A British Queen! (BA116 B747-400 World Traveller Dec'17, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/'18 (1): Insane tailwinds to the Big Apple! (DL A319 MSP-JFK Dec '17 Y, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (10): Software glitch'd? (SkyWest Delta CRJ-200ER, MSP-GFK, Jun '17, w/pics & video TR)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (9): Yet no CRJ-700 for you! (IAD-MSP UA E175, Y, Jun '17)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (8): A tale of 2 Etihads - electronics BANNED! (B77L/B789, BOM-AUH-IAD, Y, Jun '17)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (7): Jet's extended range B737 (9W472 CCU-BOM, Y, pics & vids)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (6): Delays galore, inefficiency ensues! (SpiceJet, B737-900ER, SG517 BLR-CCU, Y)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (5): Missed opportunity with Jet's A330 (BOM-BLR, Y, B73H, May '17) [pics & video TR](video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (4): Short flight on the Etihad A380! (AUH-BOM, Y, May '17) [pics & video TR] (video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (3): Elegant Etihad? (JFK-AUH, A380 Y, May '17) [many pics & video TR] (video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (2): No MD-88 for you! (MSP-LGA, DL Y, May '17) [pics & video TR]] (video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (1): No CRJ-700 for you! (GFK-MSP, SkyWest Delta) [pics & video TR] (video trip report)
Spring Break 2017 - To the Pacific Northwest! (AMTRAK, BC, Idaho, NO flights!)
Winter Break 2016/17 (9): The Final Hop Home (AA Eagle ERJ-145, ORD-FAR, Jan '17, Y) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016/17 (8): Ultra long haul with Etihad (AUH-ORD, Y, Jan '17) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016/17 (7): Enticing Etihad to Abu Dhabi! (CCU-AUH, Jan '17, Y) (video trip report)

Winter Break 2016 (6): My last flight on Jet Airways' ATR (GAU-CCU, Y, Dec '16) + Scintillating Sunderbans (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (5): Konnecting to Kaziranga (S24363 B73H CCU-GAU Y, Dec '16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (4): Take us home, Qatar Airways! (QR540, DOH-CCU, Y, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (3): Long haul middle seat - our first flight on Qatar Airways! (QR28 MAN-DOH, Y, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (2): Pencil Jet across the Atlantic (AA54 MAN-ORD, Y+, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (1): The Frozen Embraer Delay - missed connection! (FAR-ORD, Dec '16) (video trip report)
Thanksgiving '16 in the Sin City - My Allegiance with N891GA, to divert or not to divert (LAS-GFK Nov '16) (video trip report)
Thanksgiving '16 in the Sin City - My Allegiance with Allegiant! (Part 1, many pictures) (video trip report)
The day I flew the world's most popular plane (GFK-FAR-CKN-GFK, C172)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 14: Delta Connection, a quick hop in the Midwest! (MSP - GFK, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 13: Super old, Super 80, Mad Dog Across the Midwest! (AA ORD-MSP, Aug'16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 12: Flying the Friendly Skies... (United Munich to Chicago, Aug '16)) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 11: Epic Lufthansa, Epic A340! (Delhi to Munich, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 10: Konnect, Lite, Delight...(S2 B73H CCU-DEL, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 9: Take me home, Vistara! (DEL-CCU, Jul '16) (video trip report)[/color]
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 8: Vistara's INAUGURAL flight out of Kolkata! (CCU-DEL, Jun '16)) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 7: Efficient IndiGo! (Mumbai to Kolkata, A320, May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 6: Big delays, cracked windshield, angry passengers (SG CCU-BOM B73J) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 5: Air India's domestic Dream)liner (DEL-CCU May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 4: Nearly First Class - stories of the empty A380! (LH FRA-DEL May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 3: World's longest jet, Lufthansa's B748i! (ORD-FRA May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 2: ChicaGO on United's A319! (MSP-ORD, May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 1: Sun rise onboard the long range CRJ (DL GFK-MSP CRJ-900, May '16) (video trip report)
The pencil jet(s) for spring break! (+ Iron Maiden bonus): Delta MSP-FLL-MSP, March '16 (DL1608 video trip report, DL2027 video trip report)
De-iced & Delayed, cold onboard a CRJ! (ORD-MSP-GFK on Delta, Jan '16) (ORD-MSP video report) (MSP-GFK video report)
Delta's aged B767-300ER across the Atlantic! (CDG-ORD in Y, Jan '16) (video report)
Air France's NEW Economy (B777-200ER, Bengaluru to Paris, Jan '16) (video report)
Delays and despair: stressed out in the middle seat! (Jet Airways B737 Mumbai - Bengaluru, Jan '16)
Air India's hybrid babybus from Kolkata to Mumbai (Jan '16, Y) (video report)

South Africa 3: 12 days in Scintillating South Africa (Kruger, Kulula and Rand Airport, Apr' 12, LONG!)
South Africa 2: Elegant Emirates Economy! (DXB-CPT, B77W, Apr '12)
South Africa 1: My first flight on Emirates, my first flight on the 777 (CMB-DXB, Apr '12)

International transit with Jet Airways (BOM-MAA-CMB, Oct. '11)
Konnecting to Bhubaneswar (9W BOM-BBI-BOM, Jul '11)
Three trips between India and Sri Lanka (9W BOM-CMB-BOM: Jun '11, Jul '11, Oct. 11)
To India's Orange City: Mumbai - Nagpur - Mumbai on Jetlite & Tadoba National Park (May 2011)
My last flight on Kingfisher Airlines (and 2 other Jet flights, May '11)

Prinair

Re: A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (4): The Comfortable CRJ?! (UA4851 ORD-FAR Mar '18 Y)

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:55 am

Air Wisconsin has its home base in Appleton, not in Green Bay.

Super80Fan

Re: A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (4): The Comfortable CRJ?! (UA4851 ORD-FAR Mar '18 Y)

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:48 am

Great report. Flew with Air Wisconsin back when it was US Airways Express/American Eagle, funny seeing it now be solely United Express. I think they base most of the Air Wisconsin CRJ's out of ORD now while the E145's are now either out of EWR or IAH.

KLASM83

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:00 am

You know I love those XXX-FAR/GFK reports haha

I'm always fascinated by those, having done it so much! Nice pics and report as always!

Also, try maneuvering around farm equipment when you're Northbound on ND18. Strange for a city mouse like me.

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:15 pm

Prinair wrote:
Air Wisconsin has its home base in Appleton, not in Green Bay.

ok, thank you

Super80Fan wrote:
Great report. Flew with Air Wisconsin back when it was US Airways Express/American Eagle, funny seeing it now be solely United Express. I think they base most of the Air Wisconsin CRJ's out of ORD now while the E145's are now either out of EWR or IAH.

Thank you so much for giving this a read! I didn't know Air Wisconsin was exclusively for AA - but yes, most of their CRJ-200s are indeed based out of ORD, in addition to SkyWest's CRJs as well.

KLASM83 wrote:
You know I love those XXX-FAR/GFK reports haha

I'm always fascinated by those, having done it so much! Nice pics and report as always!

Also, try maneuvering around farm equipment when you're Northbound on ND18. Strange for a city mouse like me.

There's a whole lot more exciting trips from FAR coming - state tuned! :)
I am glad you enjoy these.
Maneuvering farm equipment - hmm, I could give that a shot sometime, given I am here for a little bit anyway!