patrick757
Topic Author

Flying KLM ‘Royal Dutch Airline’ from Dusseldorf to Calgary and return. Part 1.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:17 am

Welcome to my First trip report. Hope you’ll enjoy this. After reading a lot of reports, I’ve decided to post my last trip to Canada.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH POSTING PICTURES? I have a Flickr account, but It doesn't work :(

Introduction

The last time we visited our family was about 13 years ago and after we discovered that our daughter has a 2 weeks holiday in may 2018, we found this was a good reason to go to Canada again. For me, aviation geek, a very good reason to investigate all possibilites to fly new airlines, aircraft, but also for a reasonable price.

A few examples of interesting routes:
- Jet airways from Amsterdam to Toronto and onwards to Calgary with Westjet. Flying B777 and B737
- British Airways from Amsterdam, via Londen to Calgary, Flying A320 and B787
- Icelandair from Amsterdam to Edmonton via Keflavik. Both flights with B757
- Air Transat. A weekly flight. It was no option for us. Air Transat is starting flights in the 2nd week of May. 1 week to late. Flying an AirbusA330

The most ideal situation is to fly directly. Especially when travelling with a child.
KLM is offering 6 direct flights per week. Ticket prices starts at €900. At that time (oktober 2017) they are using B777 or A330 aircraft.

Maybe Dusseldorf or Brussels is a cheaper alternative? I checked the KLM website and prices were significant lower when flying from DUS or BRU dan flying from Amsterdam! It saved me more than €1.000! in total.

The same day we booked 3 tickets with KLM, our own national airline. The last flight with KLM was more dan 25 years ago!. I was very excited about this.

4 new aircraft for me: flying an Embraer 175 and 190, B787 and A330.

My report will cover 4 segments:
- KL DUS-AMS
- KL AMS-YYC
- KL YYC-AMS
- KL AMS-DUS

After 8 months of planning, waiting and working, our departure date was nearing! Due to ‘Kings day’, our national holiday, schools were closed that Friday.
It gave us the opportunity to fly that day instead of saturday.
After a couple hours of sleep, we are heading to Dusseldorf Airport, a 1h 45m drive.
We parked our car at a remote parking lot, took the shuttle bus to a very busy terminal.

Flight Details:
Airlines: KLM
Flight: KL1854 DUS-AMS.
Reg: PH-EXJ, Delivered to KLM 21-10-2016.
Aircraft: Embraer 175
Departure Dusseldorf: 08.22 gate B73
Arrival at gate Amsterdam: 09:23

Check-in
The day before, we already checked in for both flights. For the segment Amsterdam – Calgary I changed seats. More about that in my second report. The luggage drop off point, was not open yet. We had to wait 1 hour. We walked through the terminal, had a coffee and finally the desk was open and our luggage was dropped off within 5 minutes.

Flight Schedule
Our KLM flight was the 2nd flight KLM flight of that day. Our scheduled time was 08.15. The 1st flight departed at 06.10.

Terminal and airside spotting.
It was very crowded that morning. Many charterflights to Greece and Spain. Long queues for bathrooms and coffee bars.  As it was still dark outside, spotting was limited. We waited for another 1,5h when boarding started. Because of our national holiday, a small gift was handed out at the gate. A picture was made and we were allowed to board first.

Meal
No meal on this short flight. Actual flying time was only 22 minutes! A small container of water and some cookies were handed out. And a small chocolate! A nice gesture KLM!

Window views and inflight entertainment
Looking outside, the best entertainment in the sky!

Cabin
Not special. 2-2 seating. Blue covered, leather seats. Seating was ok.

Landing
Landing was on the ‘famous’ Polderbaan. The ride to the gate took longer than the flight itself!!

FlyRow

Re: Flying KLM ‘Royal Dutch Airline’ from Dusseldorf to Calgary and return. Part 1.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:39 pm

Hey!

I think you are sharing the flickr-page instead of the adress of the picture.
-> https://www.flickr.com/photos/156824441 ... res/3azy03

if you use the [img ] [/img] tag the link adress should end with a .jpg
If you want to share the picture the link should click the arrow in the bottem right of the picture

Go for "BB-CODE"
select a size (not to big).

And copy past the link!

[img ] https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7819/464 ... e8511b.jpg [ /img]

Image20180427_083307 by P B, on Flickr
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

MartijnNL

Re: Flying KLM ‘Royal Dutch Airline’ from Dusseldorf to Calgary and return. Part 1.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 pm

patrick757 wrote:
Meal
No meal on this short flight. Actual flying time was only 22 minutes!

Landing
Landing was on the ‘famous’ Polderbaan. The ride to the gate took longer than the flight itself!!

Are you sure about this? Playback on flightradar24 has the aircraft landing on the Zwanenburgbaan.

I have experienced my share of Polderbaan taxiing, but reaching the gate never took more than 22 minutes. I have a feeling a lot of people exaggerate the taxi times to and from the Polderbaan. Usually it is around ten to twelve minutes, sometimes taking up to sixteen minutes.

YYZatcboy

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:46 am

Have you posted the rest of the report? I can't find it.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763