newbief1yer
Topic Author

Part 1: Emirates from London Stansted to India and back

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:48 pm

Video Report

Emirates EK34 - London Stansted to Dubai - Boeing 777-300ER

Emirates EK508 - Dubai to Mumbai - Boeing 777-300ER (A6-EQB)

Background

Hello A 'Netters. Hope you are all well.

Had one of my oldest friend's wedding in Australia and India and I was torn between either going to Aussie or India. Given that I had not met my parents for a while, I had to make the sensible decision of making it to the Indian wedding (Reception) in Chennai (Madras).

I wanted a night flight out of London, into Mumbai, to meet my brother and my return from Chennai to London. The obvious choices were BA (Direct) and all the middle eastern carriers. The ones which fit the bill were either Oman Air or Emirates. BA was a good option, but given that Emirates was nearly a £100 cheaper (that’s 25%) I opted for Emirates. More so, the timing of Emirates was more suited to my liking.

Very good flight timings, with minimal transit time at the Dubai Shopping mall, also known as the airport. I would also be using Emirates newly(er) started service from Stansted!

Once booked and an Emirates PNR given to me, I could customise my booking on Emirates website. I must admit, it is extremely slick and the website is a pleasure to use. The customisation is excellent giving options to select seats (Paid for) and even amend your meal options. I really liked that you could already view your menu for the flight including in languages of your origin/destination (English/Arabic/,English/ Hindi/Arabic, Tamil/English/Arabic and English/Arabic). Fantastic! And the menu options looked great, which included a masala dosa for breakfast from Chennai! Emirates do these simple things extremely well. Looking forward to it.

In November 2018, got an email stating that my flight timings to Mumbai had changed. It looked like EK506, was now a night flight, which would mean that it would be beyond midnight. Speaking to Emirates, they suggested a few options to Mumbai. Weighing in the pros and cons, I decided on EK508 for my onward trip to Mumbai. This would mean I would get around 7 hours in Dubai, to spend some time with my friends and It would also enable me to reach Mumbai at an acceptable timing of 8 PM.

This series of trip report will consist of two reports:

1. This one, Emirates to India and back to the UK
2. Domestic India travel, including Air India Regional (Alliance Air) ATR and a business class experience on Air India A319.

Thanks to GCMaps

Emirates - EK34 & EK508 (EK506)
Route: STN - DXB - BOM
Flight Reg:A6-EQN; Delivered to Emirates on Aug 2018
Flight Reg:A6-EQB; Delivered to Emirates on May 2017
Aircraft Type: Boeing 777-300ER
Seat: 20D & 46A
Flight time: 20:15 - 07:10 (22:46 - 08:43) & 15:50 - 20:35 (16:28 - 20:20) (OLD:09:30 - 14:00)
Actual flight time: 5 Hr 57 min & 2 Hr 22 Min (My Fastest Flight: 571 mi/h, 3,396 mi, 5:57 h, London (Stansted) - Dubai (International), 03-01-2019)
Distance: 3396 & 1198 Miles
Load: 100% & ~70% load
1st March and 2nd March 2019
Booking details: Booked on www.travelup.co.uk website for a total of £434 return
My Log book: 6th and 7th Flight on Emirates/ 11th & 12th flight on Boeing 777-300ER / 195th & 196th Total overall flight

OCI opens 48 hours before departure. The entire process was expectedly seamless and intuitive. Although, the flight from London to Dubai looked full and the only available seats were middle seats. Hopefully will be able to change at the airport. Fingers crossed.

During OCI, I was also given an option to upgrade my Dubai to Mumbai sector for GBP 152. I thought the deal was very good. If the flight was any longer than the 2 hr 15 minutes, I would've gone for the deal. But rejected this for now.

Emirates website is a masterclass in how an airline website should be. The level of details available for each flight, right down to the menu onboard and the exact names of movies available to watch, Is mind boggling. An absolute joy to navigate through. It's no wonder they have a fan following and deservedly so. Add to it, a 40 kilo baggage allowance! 40 ! Even certain business class allowance is not that high.

Day of the flight, the ride into the airport was fairly seamless. Took the Stansted express from Liverpool street station.

Stansted Express to Stansted Airport

Bag drop was superbly efficient and done in 5 minutes. A very friendly check in agent. Unfortunately all window seats were taken as it was a full flight to Dubai. I got moved to an aisle seat instead. Ah well.

Security was very quick and I was airside by 6 15 pm.

Walked around a bit for a bit of duty free shopping before heading to the satellite terminal. The newish satellite terminal was a great place to be. Airy and lesser number of passengers. Quite a lot of seats too.

Check in desks for Emirates at Stansted Airport

Busy time at Stansted

At the Duty Free area

Crammed!

No seats here, lets head towards my gates, which is at the satellite terminal

A quick train ride later, reached the Satellite terminal

There is our ride to Dubai -> An almost new B77W

Boarding commenced on time and I was seated by 1930.

I Got lucky with my seat as I was placed in the tiny economy cabin between the business class seating and the main economy cabin.

Business class

The New economy cabin

Amenities for this night fight. No Amenity kit though, like Qatar does

The new interiors of Emirates looks smart and modern. The initial feel of the seat was excellent and felt spacious. It did feel a bit narrow but I feel that you always get completely distracted by the excellent ( the best in the business) entertainment on board. And the new ICE system on board is most certainly industry leading and the benchmark of in-flight entertainment. How do they do it with no IFE boxes below the seats? Why can't other airlines just use this system, whatever it is. It's absolutely special! The choices of movies and tv is literally endless. It took me around 10 minutes to channel surf.

This economy cabin consisted of 5 rows of 10 seats each. The seats, once fully boarded, does feel cramped. It's just physics.

Flight time of 6hr and 10 minutes announced which means it's going to be a quick jaunt across to Dubai.

Just as we were about to take off, Stansted closed their runway due to a rejected take off by an aircraft. Great! Nice timing! Unspecified delays apparently. No idea what that means.

Another drama unfolded whilst we were waiting. The lady sitting next to me has her sciatica nerve explode and her pain killers were taken away by the security at Stansted airport, even though she had her prescription. I later realised that Codeine is a banned drug in Dubai and hence it was taken off of her.

Emirates assessed the situation and the doctors advised her to be offloaded as it was a safer option than giving her the pain killers as the situation apparently gets even worse at higher altitude. Given that we were still in the ground, decision was taken to offload her. This meant that, out of a completely full economy flight, the seat next to mine is the only vacant one :)

Captain announced the rejected take off was due to engine failure with the aircraft stuck in the runway. It was 2100 and by now all passengers had been evacuated from the aircraft. This looks like it's going to be a long wait.

Captains announcements were spot on and timely. We were getting half hourly updates and it was to the point. Well done Emirates. !

Finally at 2230 captain announced that we were soon going to depart.

Seating

Why does Emirates advertise their aircrafts as Boeing 777-300. And miss out the ER yet on their aircrafts it's denoted as an ER? I'm sure with an airline like Emirates, they would've got this right.

Menu for this sector

Reading material on board

Once airborne, drinks and dinner followed quickly. But the trays took a while for it to be collected.

Slept for a couple of hours before being woken up by the flight attendants, 90 minutes before landing. A breakfast box was served which contained a dry sweet pastry which was just horrible. Would've been better if they had not served it and let us sleep a bit longer.

Airborne; using the Picture In Picture on the IFE

Spoilt for choices

Dinner service

The toilets were quite massive on this B777-300ER

At the end of this flight, the FA's looked extremely tired and I saw one of the FA just slumped over the food cart. I'd reckon if this was BA, we wouldn't have taken off as the FA would've crossed their daily limit. But no such thing here. The service on this flight showed it. Really tired looking bunch of flight attendants. Not their fault though.

The 'Not needed, let me sleep more' Breakfast

Landing into Dubai

Overall, it was very good

Landed 90 minutes behind schedule. But once landed, the Ahlan service worked a charm. I was out of the airport in 8 minutes! Absolutely fabulous.

At Dubai

The fantastic Ahlan service

Extremely long queues at Immigration, but with Ahlan, I was whisked through without any delay

Exiting the airport

A quick 5 hour halt in Dubai. It was a balmy 19 degrees C when i was there. Perfect!

A bit of Sheesha fever at La Mer

After spending around 5-6 hours with my friends in Dubai, it was time for my onward flight to Mumbai.

Reached the airport at 1430 and was airside by 1450. A quick jaunt across duty free and I was at my gate by 1520. On board the aircraft at 1530.

Once On board, as expected this was a fairly empty flight. I had my 2 seats to myself. Woop ! #result!

Back at DXB T3

After Immigration

A Gate Terminal

Heading towards the gate

At the gates

There is our ride to Mumbai

Last section of Economy cabin view

View from Row 46

Captain announced that Dubai was operating a single runway which meant a slight delay to kick start but was expecting a flight time of 2 hour and 15 minutes which meant an on time arrival into Mumbai.

Once again, the aircraft was spotless and the temperature onboard was very comfortable.

Row 46 is probably the best economy seats on this aircraft. The leg space is enormous and I could easily be here for a really long flight.

Menu for this flight

Acres of leg space!

A good watch. Good to see Bollywood tackle mental health issues. Well done!

2 Saudia in front of us, during taxiing

Looks like a Bae 146 (..?)

Airborne -> Dubai Skyline

Lunch service

Food and drinks round commenced within 50 minutes of attaining cruising altitude.

The food looked quite food although I wasn't hungry. Has the RasMalai which was fabulous.

Rest of the flight was uneventful in a good way. The service on this sector was much better. A much more engaging and energetic crew on this sector. This is in line with the general mixed bag flight attendants at Emirates these days. Or at least the perceived notion which exists. A perfect example across my 2 flights today. One lacked energy, enthusiasm the other was energetic and efficient. Albeit, both flights were adequate, the first flight lacked the wow factor, whilst on the second, the FA's were more upbeat.

Overall, all things considered, this was a perfectly acceptable performance from Emirates. Their hard product is definitely one of the best out there. Excellent food and drinks. Their service is a bit of a mixed bag and from past experience I see a decline in quality. Nothing to be concerned about but I am being very critical of Emirates here given the high standards they set.

I can see why the US3 are irritated by carriers like Emirates. Their value proposition is in a different league altogether. My aunt residing in Houston, Texas, travels to India once a year. She doesn't even consider any other airline and has been travelling with Emirates for the last 6 years without fail. And I see no reason she would be changing her pattern in the near future. In today's day and age where every airline squeeze as much as possible from customers in terms of ancillary services, Emirates goes the other way in providing a lot more than their competitors. There is argument they get subsidies, questionable labour rules, but from a consumers standpoint it is irrelevant. Their value for money proposition is unmatched.

Landed ahead of schedule. Out of the airport in 45 minutes. By 2100. Immigration was super quick. Bags took a while for it to come but nothing severe.

Landing at Mumbai

At Mumbai Airport (BOM)

Baggage hall

Exiting the airport

Uber Pick up point (it is a 5 minute walk as you exit the airport and it is sign posted)

The Return Trip from Chennai (MAA)

Emirates - EK545& EK9
Route: MAA - DXB - LGW
Flight Reg:A6-EGT; Delivered to Emirates on June 2012
Flight Reg:A6-EVE; Delivered to Emirates on Nov 2018
Aircraft Type: Boeing 777-300ER & Airbus 380-800
Seat: 24A & 70K
Flight time: 09:45 - 12:40 (10:30 - 09:47) 14:35 - 18:25 (14:57 - 18:47)
Actual flight time: 3 Hr 46 min & 7 Hr 50 Min
Distance: 1823 & 3405 Miles
Load: 100% load on both flights
10th March 2019
My Log book: 8th and 9th Flight on Emirates/ 13th flight on Boeing 777-300ER & 6th Flight on Airbus 380-800/ 200th & 201st Total overall flight

48 hours before the flight, OCI was open. I was again given the option to upgrade to business class for the Chennai to Dubai sector (GBP 152). I declined it thinking it would once again be an empty flight. However, during seat selection, it seemed to be a full flight. I got a middle seat (20B) and a window seat for my onward flight to London. Hoping to get lucky at the airport :)

Day of the flight, there was a Chennai run going on. But the drive to the airport was very quick.

Chennai Airport on a Sunday morning

Baggage drop was a bit slow but I was able to bag an exit row window seat. Option to upgrade to business was still available for the same amount (200 USD)

Emirates Check in desks -> Slow progress

Messy!

The flight to Dubai was full and was also told there would be a delay of 15 minutes for the flight due to late arrival of the incoming aircraft.

Post bag drop, immigration took a while. From cab drop to airside, the entire process took around 40 minutes. Relatively slow for an airport of this size.

FIDS at airside; not too many international flights from this airport at this time of the day

Airside at Chennai International Airport

There isn't much to do in the airside. It's a very tired looking airport and a very boring place to be. There are some art work scattered across the terminal building but it all looks haphazard and dusty. They had a meagre duty free shop. I wanted to buy a perfume but the packaging looked so old and worn out I decided against it. The sales lady tried to sell it to me stating that older the perfume the better. Is this wine that I'm buying? :)

The solitary duty free shop with outdated products :(

Hardly any restaurants or any other food outlets too.

The airport terminal is split into old and new. Both the old and new looked old though. The new terminal had only 2 gates.

Spent an hour walking from one end to the other and back to my gates.

Walkway to the 'old' part of the terminal building

This is the old part of the terminal

Quite serious about their safety here :)

The 'Old' part of the terminal looked much nicer than the 'new' part

Boarding commenced at 9 40 and I was on board by 1005.

There is our ride to Dubai, delayed by 15 minutes

Our boarding gates were from the new terminal

Painting still on-going

Full flight to Dubai (And beyond)

Close up view

Flight time of 4 hours announced with cabin crew of 14 nationalities and able to speak 18 languages.
Pushback at 10 15

Urgh. Wear your shoes man!

Menu for this flight

I slept for the entire duration of this flight due to a wedding reception I had attended the previous evening which went on to the wee hours of the morning.

I was only woken up for the meal service which was adequate and the meal tasted good.

Very good lunch service

An OK watch; although I only watched like 20 minutes of this before I was knocked cold!

It was a very comfortable flight albeit the emergency exit row seats are quite narrow although they have limitless leg space. Being fairly small built person, it was adequate for me.

The toilets are a bit different on this B77W as compared to the brand new one I flew from Stansted

Hello Dubai! Again!

Slept for the remainder of the flight. Was quite hung over from the previous night :O
Thank you Emirates for an exit row seat :)

We made up for the delayed start and landed almost on time.

We were parked at gates C and upon exiting the aircraft, there was an agent from the airport to let me know which gates the Gatwick flight was at due to a tighter connection time.

I had to make my to gates A which involved a few security checks and also a 20 minute bus transfer. In between I had a quick dash to the duty free to pick up few last minute items.

Made it to gates A by 1340 and to my gate by 1355. Overall an hour and 15 minutes to reach the gates which included a 10 minute shopping spree. Overall an acceptable transfer process but I've had better experiences in airports like Doha and Hong Kong. I think the connection was seamless, it was just that it is quite far and it takes long to reach the final gates.

Transiting at Dubai. I had to make my way to the A gates again.

Did a last minute duty free shopping here before proceeding towards A Gates

A 15 minute bus ride ensued

Lovely weather here, it was 21 degrees and bright and sunny

At A Gates

Another baggage screening! So that is twice so far. Thankfully it was not that busy.

Still more walking to do

Hey, I was here last week :)

I was at A20 to Mumbai, this time I am at A21

Final Call, phew!

There was another random bag search here. Of course I was 'Randomly' selected. Brown skin, Indian looking, prime suspect :))))

Boarded by 1410 but then we were told that we would be delayed by 15 minutes due to this aircraft awaiting passengers from connecting flights.

This flight seemed to be full too. Flight time of 7hours and 35minutes announced. Cabin crew on this flight were from 15 nationalities and could speak 11 languages.

Our ride to Gatwick, a 4 month old A380

The wonderful ICE

View from row 70

A bit cramped, but it's alright for a 7 hour flight

Cabin View

Menu for this flight

Once airborne, the crew sprang into action serving us lunch within an hour after take-off.

Bye Bye Dubai

I wanted the beef but unfortunately they had run out of it by the time they had reached our seat.

The chicken meal tasted very good and probably the best meal of the 4 flights with Emirates on this trip.

Post Lunch I continued sleeping until 2 hours before arriving into London at which time they had started serving afternoon tea with scones. The scones smelt wonderful but I wanted to avoid eating it due to my unhealthy binge eating the previous week. Perhaps a mistake. :(

Lunch service

Continued watching the same movie on this flight. Even though, I still did not finish watching it. Got a bit monotonous and predictable.

Toilets on-board the A380

Cabin view

It was a bumpy ride with light to moderate turbulence for a fair bit of the flight.

The seating on this aircraft was very good. Decent width and good leg space which meant overall it was very good for a 7 hour flight.

The cabin temperature was well maintained throughout the flight and happy to report that the Toilets were spotlessly clean.

Once landed, long walk to the immigration. 15 minutes. Immigration lasted 20 seconds. And bags had already started arriving as I had reached the baggage carousel. After waiting for a bit, I realised that there were 2 belts used for this flight with no interconnection between them! That was quite a weird setup since you had to keep an eye out for both the belts. And thankfully I did, as my bags were in the other belt that not many were looking at.

Gatwick North

This not very convenient.

Verdict

On time, new aircrafts, acceptable crew, very well priced and their entertainment is the best in the business. On this trip, Emirates worked perfectly well for me. The timing of the fight was spot on and on-board comfort is right up there for economy class.

I would gladly fly Emirates again and looking forward to my next flight with them.

That brings me to the end of this report. Hope you liked it. Thanks for reading and comments and feedback welcome.

Until next time, adios and safe flying.

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Re: Part 1: Emirates from London Stansted to India and back

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:48 pm

Previous Trip Reports

One World to Myanmar - BA and Cathay Dragon
Hopping across Myanmar (Burma)
Christmas and New Years at Croatia - 2018
Birthday trip to The Ice Hotel - Swedish Lapland
Part 6 (Final) trip to Kyrgyzstan - Back from Bishkek to London via Istanbul
Part 5 trip to Kyrgyzstan - Air Astana from Urumqi to Bishkek via Astana
Part 4 trip to Kyrgyzstan - Air Arabia from Mumbai to Urumqi via Sharjah
Part 3 trip to Kyrgyzstan - IndiGo from BLR to BOM
Part 2 trip to Kyrgyzstan - Jet Airways from Dubai to Bengaluru via Mumbai
Part 1 trip to Kyrgyzstan - Virgin to Dubai on A340-600 (G-VNAP)
Weekend trip on Austrian to Vienna - A321-100
Oman Air - London to India and back - A333 & B738
Part 5 - Long way to Vietnam - Return from Shanghai on BA B77W Club World
Part 4 - Long way to Vietnam - China Southern - Hanoi to Shanghai
Vietnam Domestic on Vietjet
Part 2 - Long way to Vietnam - Vietnam Airlines A350 to Saigon - Business Class
Part 1 - Long way to Vietnam - BA to Shanghai - Club World
Weekend trip to Budapest on FlyBe (SEN) and BA (LHR)
Part 4 - KLM from Beijing to London via Amsterdam - B787-9 & ERJ190
Part 3 - Spring Airlines - Seoul Incheon to Shijiazhuang - Airbus 320-200
Part 2 - Korea Domestic on Korean Air and Jeju Air
Part 1 - London to Seoul on KLM? No. Air France? No. Korean Air?
Part 5 - Canadian Escapades - Vancouver to London - BA A380-800 - Club World
Part 4 - Canadian Escapades - Edmonton to Vancouver - WestJet B737-800
Part 3 - Canadian Escapades - Toronto to Calgary - Air Canada B767-300ER
Part 2 - Canadian Escapades - Quebec to Toronto - WestJet Encore Dash8 Q400
Part 1 - Canadian Escapades - London to Montreal - BA 787-8
Weekend in Bilbao - BA A320 - Photo + Video Report
Cambodian Escapades - China Southern B787, A321 and A320
Domestic Cambodian Escapades - Sky Angkor - KOS-REP - A320
Weekend in Zurich - Swiss and BA (Club Europe) - Airbus 320-200
Weekend at Cinque Terre - BA to Bologna - Airbus 320-200
Journey to the East (Part 5, Final) - BA B747-400 (Club World)
Journey to the East (Part 4) - China Eastern A321-200
Journey to the East (Part 3) - Etihad 5th Freedom Route
Journey to the East (Part 2) - BA, JAL, Etihad, China Eastern
Journey to the East - BA, JAL, Etihad, China Eastern
Norwegian And Air Baltic To ARN And RIX
London To Muscat On Gulf Air - A332 And A320
Part 4:India Domestic-9W, AI, SG On A321,B737,Q400
Part3: Phuket To India - Bangkok Airways -A320-200
Part 2:Thailand Domestic -Nok Air And Thai AirAsia
Part 1:Qatar Airways - Thailand And India
Part 3:BA Club Europe - LCA-LHR - Boeing 767-300
Part 2:Blue Air - Athens-Larnaca - Boeing 737-400
Part 1: Aegean Air - LGW-ATH-JTR - A320-200
Ryanair London(STN) To Lake Como (BGY)
Weekend In Belfast - Aer Lingus A319-100
BA First - PEK To LHR - Mid J B747-400
China Railway (CRH) - Video Report - SJW - Beijing
BA CW - Upper Deck To Beijing - High J B747-400
LAN Dreamliner (J) Experience - MAD FRA
Weekend In Trondheim - DY/SK - Boeing 737-800/600
Baltic Escapades - VNO/TLL/RIX On W6,BT And OV
South France - EasyJet A320 BA A319
UK To India - The EK Way - B777-200/300 & A380
India Domestic–Jet Airways And Indigo–A320/ATR 72
BA A320/321 - LHR To Berlin TXL - Christmas Day
China Southern - LHR-CAN-HKT - B787/A321
Cool Blue To BOS And Got Blue? To LAS - E190 A320
Mahalo Hawaii, Hello NYC - DL B767-300
Aloha! The United Way - B777-200 And B737-900
VS Little Red To ABZ And EZY Return
24 Hours On A 787! - Final Leg CZ - AKL-CAN-LHR
Part 5 - BHE-WLG-AKL On NZ Beech1900D And A320
Part 4 - MEL-AKL-ZQN On QA And NZ B738\A320
Part 3 - CNS-MEL On JetStar A321-200
Part 2 - SYD - CNS On Virgin Australia E190
Canton Route Part 1 - LON-SYD - CZ DreamLiner/A332
DREAM(liner)ING Of Hainan - China Southern
Panda Calling - BA LHR To CTU - Club World
China - The Low Cost Way - Spring Airlines - SJW-CTU
China United Airlines (KN) - CTU - SJW - B737-700
Norwegian B737 - LGW-TOS-BGO-LGW
Jet Airways: LHR – COK
Barra Trip – that was not to be
Dusseldorf Calling - BA & EZY - Club/Eco - A321
Part 5: PVG-LHR - BA - Economy - B777
Part 4A&B - SHA-SJW-SHA - FM: Eco: B737
Part 3A&B : DXB-HKG-PVG: CX & KA :Eco: A333
Part 2: KWI-DXB - FlyDubai - Economy - B737
LHR - KWI - BA 747 - Part 1 - Middle East -China
Morocco Trip - LGW-RAK-TNG-LHR - EasyJet & Iberia

jrfspa320

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:15 am

I think this is the first EK report ive seen from STN. I do think EKs website is good and is great in economy, but the crew can be inconsistent as you said.
Thanks for writing up!

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks for the comments, jrfspa320.
Yes, not many reports for Emirates from Stansted yet, although, not for long I guess, as Emirates is looking to add another daily B77W from here. And from evidence, I see no reason why there won't be more in the future. Quite easy to reach Stansted from the city (still quite a few banks and insurance companies around and not to mention Old Street, the silicon roundabout area), which is direct train ride.

CPS001

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Nice to see MAA again! Yes, the present international terminals are rather lackluster but a new international terminal is under construction, not sure if you saw it, with a satellite concourse to be added later too.

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 pm

Ah, thanks for that info CPS001. They kept calling the terminal where I boarded from, as the 'New' terminal. So I assumed this was it. No, did not see the satellite concourse. If it is any indication of new airports in India, it should be a good one (BOM, BLR, HYD, DEL)

AirIndia

Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:13 am

newbief1yer wrote:
Ah, thanks for that info CPS001. They kept calling the terminal where I boarded from, as the 'New' terminal. So I assumed this was it. No, did not see the satellite concourse. If it is any indication of new airports in India, it should be a good one (BOM, BLR, HYD, DEL)

I think MAA is still with AAI and thus I wont bet any money on "it should be a good one"... :)

I was in Chennai for a wedding about a month before you and my impression about MAA was that as well why it cannot get the same standard as BOM or DEL or BLR.

Good report!!

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 am

Ah Yikes! did not know that. I guess the others mentioned above are all Private (GVK) or a public-Pvt Venture (COK), is'nt it?
Ah well, I would second your sentiments about AAI.
Thanks for the feedback, AirIndia. (Given your username, I do not think you would want to read my other report about Air India :))

AirIndia

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:29 am

newbief1yer wrote:
Ah Yikes! did not know that. I guess the others mentioned above are all Private (GVK) or a public-Pvt Venture (COK), is'nt it?
Ah well, I would second your sentiments about AAI.
Thanks for the feedback, AirIndia. (Given your username, I do not think you would want to read my other report about Air India :))

Yes you are right.
DEL- GMR(64%) + AAI(26%) + Fraport(10%)
BOM - GVK(74%) + AAI(26%)
HYD - GMR(63%) + AAI(13%) + State Givet(13%) + Malaysia Airport(11%)
BLR - FairFax(48%) + Seimens(26%) + AAI(13%) + KSIIDC(13%)
COK - State Govt(33%) + individuals(38%) + balance(29%) by many indian and intl companies

I did read your report about AI and it is what it is. My username is from 2001, a lot has changed since.... :)

zubin

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:23 pm

An enjoyable read. Have to agree the hard product on EK in Y is great! Looking forward to flying them this summer to YYZ.

How did you get a bus transfer from the C gates to the A gates? On my last DXB stopover, we parked at the A gates and our connection to ZRH was at the C gates. We took the automated people mover to get there.

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks for the info AirIndia.
Don't get me wrong, I am always rooting for AI, just that, as things stand, I do not see how things can improve, as it needs to have a drastic change in behaviour and company culture, than anything else. Hoping for their best!

Thanks Zubin.
Not sure about the bus transfer. I was asked to follow signs to Gate A, from Gate C, and it led me towards a bus transfer. Perhaps someone from Dubai would be able to confirm.

FlapsOne

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:47 am

Im not sure if STN security can confiscate prescription medicine. It’s a legal can of worms not to mention the safety of the passenger. I think it’s much more to be a case of advising the passenger that they’re leaving a free democracy and will likely meet severe punishment upon arrival in the United Arab Emirates. In all my years of flying I’ve never seen security removing drugs. They even let through liquid medication as long as it’s accompanied with a prescription but for non liquids they don’t get involved.

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:02 pm

Yeah, that is what the passenger thought too. But they were adamant and told her she has two choices -> fly without them or go back home. Probably a new initiative from UAE? I do not know. Or perhaps the passenger did not disclose the exact nature of the issue.

Fiend

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:56 am

I'm prescribed Co-Drydamol (paracetamol and dihydrocodeine) for back pain and never had a problem with taking it carrying it on flights via DXB, DOH or AUH on my way to BKK.

After finding out codeine is a restricted drug in Thailand I have decided to stop taking it with me - I can purchase suitable medication over the counter in Thailand.

I used to be a regular EK customer but have since switched to QR..... I like the option of being able to pre-book seats when I book the flights.
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83

Spiderguy252

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:55 pm

A good report on a tried and tested airline into India!

Thanks for sharing.
Vahroone

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:07 am

Thanks for the information, Fiend. Emirates used to allow you to do that, now unfortunately, they have gone the 'paid for' option.

Thanks Spiderguy252

AirIndia

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:17 am

zubin wrote:
An enjoyable read. Have to agree the hard product on EK in Y is great! Looking forward to flying them this summer to YYZ.

How did you get a bus transfer from the C gates to the A gates? On my last DXB stopover, we parked at the A gates and our connection to ZRH was at the C gates. We took the automated people mover to get there.

There is a bus connection now available between A and C that helps you avoid the people mover + long walk combination.

DAIAM2002

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi....was nice to read and the pictures were interesting.
Sorry for your bare foot fellow passenger.

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Ah, that makes sense, AirIndia, thanks for the info. It was still quite a long winded transfer, to wait for the coach and then the drive to the terminal.

Thanks DAIAM2002. haha! Yeah i know! But I was too tired and sleepy to ask him not to do it.

zubin

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 am

AirIndia wrote:
There is a bus connection now available between A and C that helps you avoid the people mover + long walk combination.

That should be a relief. Thanks for letting us know!

AirIndia

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 am

Unfortunately the design of DXB is such. All terminals are linear. My last arrival into DXB at 1AM docked at C2. As per google maps, the walk from there to baggage claim and onwards to Taxi is about 1.8 KM... AKA the Emirates Fitness Program......

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:12 pm

Haha! Yeah, it is all liner, but never realised that it was this long. Is this the longest airport, globally? In terms of inter terminal travel?

AirIndia

Mon May 06, 2019 8:12 am

newbief1yer wrote:
Haha! Yeah, it is all liner, but never realised that it was this long. Is this the longest airport, globally? In terms of inter terminal travel?

From concourse A to concourse C its about 2.9KM and till Concourse D is about 4KM.

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 12:45 pm

They should do an annual DXB terminal 5K run, for charity or something :)