dfu
Topic Author

Flying for the sake of flying - Iberia A340 Madrid to London (includes link to Full Flight Video)

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:16 am

Had nowhere to go, really, just get away from it all... So I booked myself a bit of a round trip through Europe (HAM-LIS-MAD-LHR-MAD-FRA). Most flights were very inexpensive, MAD-FRA was €25,- on a Bombardier 1000....

Part of the purpose of the trip was getting myself on an A340 for the first time before they eventually disappear. And it so turned out that Iberia fly it on the Madrid-London sector once daily (on some days, it's a 350, which will be the next project). I took the same flight to and from LHR, which required booking flights separately (more expensive, but reasonable). There was enough time to "transit" back to the gate.

I booked Premium Economy for the flight to London (convenient "upgrade" just by way of seat selection) and took the €50 upgrade to Business that was offered for the return at online checkin well before the flight.

Both flights were pleasantly uneventful, no (complimentary) food on the first flight, and good business class fare return. Seats are comfortable... I guess the business class is perhaps no longer quite up to current competition, although I don't have much comparison. But it was well worth the experience, although London let me down as far as the weather and the view were concerned....

Another idea of this was to try some full flight videos... The MAD-LHR flight is here (along with some of the others, about which I might post short reports later): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcvw7XthtuM

Madrid Barajas is an amazing airport... Love the architecture. Since I came back at about 10pm and went back to Frankfurt around 8, I simply went past security straight away (after changing terminals) and slept somewhere in the almost deserted K gate area, which went ok. Locked my suitcase to the bench with a bicycle lock and held on tightly to the small backpack...

Pleasantly surprised to see the name of the A340 - Joaquin Rodrigo, whose music I very much like....

Premium Economy cabin:

Wing view:

Waiting for return:

Business class cabin etc.:

A few random impressions from Barajas:
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Redundant image removed per user request

FlyDeltaJetsATL

Re: Flying for the sake of flying - Iberia A340 Madrid to London (includes link to Full Flight Video)

Tue May 07, 2019 2:37 am

Well done on getting to log the A340.

Luckily an equipment swap didn't spoil your plans.

Jesse
FLY DELTA JETS