Ishrion
Topic Author

American Airlines Business Class 737-800 Philadelphia to St. Maarten: A Spring Break Down South *VIDEO FLIGHT REPORT*

Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 pm

First flight report, let's see how this goes.

Video to the full report with takeoff and landing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKvWSrMAybA&t=214s

Spring break, decided to go to St. Maarten for a couple days. First time going.

Flew from DFW-LEX-PHL to get to PHL. Stayed overnight for the next SXM flight in the morning.

Boarded and sat in seat 6A to get the beautiful landing in the video above.

As for service... it was exceptional. The flight attendant came through the cabin and offered each passenger a pre-departure drink and called them by last name.

In the air, we were given a hot towel and a choice of a Continental Breakfast or a Breakfast Enchilada. I went with the latter. Full image of it is in the video. Overall, it was spicy and delicious. Probably contained a ton of calories though.

Flight attendant came through the cabin a couple more times and asked if we wanted anything to drink. True service right there.

AA offers inflight streaming on demand which worked well. Watched two movies during the flight.

We were also offered a "Snack Mix" which contained flax chips, BBQ corn nuts, and pretzels. Nice step up from the economy pretzels.

The landing was spectacular but hard as expected due to SXM's runway.

One thing that was interesting to note, none of the jet bridges at SXM were functional. All flights were through stairs. I guess the damage from Irma is still taking a toll? Or is this a different construction project?

Thanks for reading/watching, full report above includes all takeoff/landing/images.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Re: American Airlines Business Class 737-800 Philadelphia to St. Maarten: A Spring Break Down South *VIDEO FLIGHT REPORT

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Image in OP disappeared.

Balloonchaser

Re: American Airlines Business Class 737-800 Philadelphia to St. Maarten: A Spring Break Down South *VIDEO FLIGHT REPORT

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Jetways aren’t used at all currently. You’ll see upon departure from SXM how it really is inside.. They have a neat system for departures. Enjoy your stay!

stratosphere

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:56 am

How much have they recovered from the hurricane?

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:26 am

Balloonchaser wrote:
Jetways aren’t used at all currently. You’ll see upon departure from SXM how it really is inside.. They have a neat system for departures. Enjoy your stay!

Yep this was last month so I'm already back lol. It's pretty hectic and security took at least 45 minutes... No WiFi and bad service so really couldn't check the status of flights. I didn't see any monitors as well.

stratosphere wrote:
How much have they recovered from the hurricane?

It seems... alright. Security was really bad. The departure area wasn't any better. It was on the ground floor and we had to board planes through walking to the boarding stairs. I guess they're still constructing the upper floor where departures used to be.

wernerga3

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:46 pm

I flew AA (757) every year to SXM from JFK, from 1993 until 2007. How is it now? I still hear some pretty sketchy stories about tourist attacks, and from the looks of things they are STILL rebuilding, even after a few years.

Are they only flying the 737 there now, and no longer the 757?

Ishrion
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:30 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
I flew AA (757) every year to SXM from JFK, from 1993 until 2007. How is it now? I still hear some pretty sketchy stories about tourist attacks, and from the looks of things they are STILL rebuilding, even after a few years.

It’s still being rebuilt. The customs and departure area are pretty unorganized. No jet bridges are in use.

I haven’t heard anything on tourist attacks...

They sent the 737 from CLT and PHL and a 757 from MIA when I went. They recently upgraded PHL to a 757 and even had a one off 767. Although, they used to fly the A330 but no longer do.

wernerga3

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Ishrion wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:

It’s still being rebuilt. The customs and departure area are pretty unorganized. No jet bridges are in use.

I haven’t heard anything on tourist attacks...

They sent the 737 from CLT and PHL and a 757 from MIA when I went. They recently upgraded PHL to a 757 and even had a one off 767. Although, they used to fly the A330 but no longer do.

Cool- thanks for the information. I believe the attacks were right after the hurricane hit since there was such devastation and chaos. Glad to hear it is settling down again. May have to re-visit.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sat May 04, 2019 4:59 am

Here are some highlights from the day at Maho Beach and SXM.

Air Canada 767-300 Landing/Takeoff: https://youtu.be/yli07fLgAfM
Air France A330 Landing: https://youtu.be/db57S-WqSWo
AA 737 SXM-PHL Takeoff: https://youtu.be/w3w6PE7vesU

To those who have been to SXM Maho Beach, I personally don't think the landing videos are a good perspective.

Do any of you have a preferred spot to shoot videos?