akinsoul
Topic Author

Tons of food and a tushie shower! ANA 787-9 Economy DUS-NRT (Photos + Video Report)

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi guys!

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the read, photos and also the trip report video! So, let's go!

VIDEO TRIP REPORT - you can watch the full video report here (be warned, includes music and humour): http://bit.ly/2IRekda

I finally managed to tick ANA long-haul off my bucket list. This was my third trip to Japan but the first time to fly there on ANA. On my previous visits, I only flew ANA domestically and was always well impressed with the service. So I started itching about taking them long-haul.

ANA tends to be more expensive than others, from what I have seen, so it was never my first choice. However, I bit the bullet, paid a bit more and as you will hopefully see, it was well, well worth it!

I started my trip in my home of Glasgow, Scotland. I had booked the ticket via United which gave me the best rate and connection for the days I wanted to fly. The routing was Glasgow to Dusseldorf on Eurowings (the route has now been taken over by Loganair) where I would connect to ANA NH210 to Tokyo Narita. From there we flew on to Nagoya, also on ANA.

Check-in

We originally checked-in in Glasgow with Eurowings who, to my surprise, checked the luggage all the way through to Narita. The bag tag did say Nagoya, however, when travelling to Japan, as in the US, all passengers must collect their luggage at the first point of entry into the country and clear immigration.

While the luggage was checked through, we were told to collect our boarding passes in DUS directly with ANA.

As a Star Alliance Gold member (I am milking this status for as long as I can), I was entitled to priority luggage but noticed that Eurowings did not attach Priority Bag Tag. I didn't say anything as it really didn't matter to me (well, it did but not enough to say something...I just assumed that Eurowings would not have Star Priority bag tags to hand..)

Now, to highlight the ANA service - when arriving in Narita, my case came out with the rest of the Priority luggage straight away. And here comes the cracker: someone at ANA in DUS, stapled a priority tag to my luggage tag! *mind blown

(Side note: my hubbys bag came out with the rest of cattle class)

Now back to check-in in Dusseldorf. We had to collect our boarding passes for Tokyo so once the counter opened 3 hours before the flight we walked up to be greeted by a very smiley and cheery check-in lady, who instantly put a smile on our faces. One thing I love, love about ANA is that they provide a copy of the seatmap at check-in. It's a nice touch and helps people figure where their seats are, especially those who don't travel regularly.

Lounge

As I am lounging the light out of my Gold status, I visited the Lufthansa Senator Lounge which was packed with (very important) suits trying to get home that evening. It was cramped and noisy because everyone was on their phone or Skpye. One guy, I kid you now, was talking on his phone using a gaming headset with a big microphone sticking he was shouting into.

In terms of food the lounge was a major let down as well. It was carb-tastic with pasta, and posh-ish pizza (basically fancy bread with a pizza topping). Nothing to write home about - ok,the desserts were nice!

Boarding

Japanese precision. That's all I can say. When the screen says boarding starts at X time, staff WILL line up and stand around until that precise time. Love it! They did a great job with staff actively walking around inviting families to pre-board and then holding up signs for the current boarding groups. Really well done. I am always amazed at the speed Japanese airlines are able to board a plane.

Seat

The ANA 787-9s come in the standard 3-3-3 configuration in cattle class (as oppose to 2-4-2 on JAL). Still, the legroom was great and the seat in general just felt quite spacious. Seatpitch is a generous 34"! It did help that we had an empty middle seat for the two of us.

The seats also come with footrests which were quite comfortable actually. I had a really good sleep so I guess they did help. There's also a USB port and power socket for each seat. Very handy!

IFE

The screen was a decent size and responsive. The choice of movies was good with a fair share of new releases. However, in terms of US TV programmes, there was not really much on offer. They did have a lot of original ANA programming though.

Food

You will not go hungry on ANA. I was so excited about trying the food on ANA and they did not disappoint. When you fly ANA, you can actually check the menu online before you travel here https://www.ana.co.jp/en/gb/serviceinfo ... de/y/meal/ (scroll to the bottom). Onboard, rather than handing out individual menus, the flight attendants hand out a laminated menu cards just before the trolley reaches your row to give you time to read through it and also, look at the picture! It's such a good idea to have a picture which shows what you will actually get.

The tray itself is ginormous and holds the main, three starters/ side dishes, a salad, and a bottle of water. The main on this flight was a beef curry with rice and it just tasted like you'd expect a Japanese curry to taste like. There was a lot going on on that tray in terms of flavours and textures. It was just a delicious meal. And if that wasn't enough, there was a separate dessert service with ice cream and coffee/ tea.

During the flight, they had a snack bad set up in the galley with items such as rice crackers and chocolate bars.

Prior to arriving in Narita, there was a breakfast service. I had the salmon and rice, which was accompanied fruit and a yoghurt. My hubby had scrambled eggs which not only came with a sausage but also pancakes!

Tushie Shower

One of the highlights was definitely the tushie shower in the loo. Your Japanese toilet experience starts on the plane with these tushie showers!

On a side note, the loo was cleaned throughout the flight and flight attendants made a wee flower out of hand towels and doused it in cologne so the toilet smelled fresh throughout. Our seats were just by the toilet and everytime someone opened the door, it smelled like a spa. I am not kidding!

Service

The cabin crew were just great, very friendly and efficient. They try to engage you in conversation but then the language barrier kicks in which can be fun/ awkward.

787-9

Just a quick one about the 787. I am not a fan of this plane. I really hate the windows and the dimming mechanism. The blue hue it creates in the cabin always makes me feel a bit nauseous.

There is also this constant hum which I guess comes from the engine. It is a quiet plane but there is this constant hum!

Verdict

I had a great time with ANA and can't wait to fly them again. They are a bit more pricey but you do get what you pay for! They aren't cheap but value for money.

VIDEO TRIP REPORT - you can watch the full video report here (be warned, includes music and humour): http://bit.ly/2IRekda
Sometimes Boeing. Never boring.

Carfield

Re: Tons of food and a tushie shower! ANA 787-9 Economy DUS-NRT (Photos + Video Report)

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:27 pm

Thanks for sharing and the food on ANA looks amazing.
I am surprised at how generous they are with snacks in the galley!

Carfield

akinsoul
Topic Author

Re: Tons of food and a tushie shower! ANA 787-9 Economy DUS-NRT (Photos + Video Report)

Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 am

Carfield wrote:
Thanks for sharing and the food on ANA looks amazing.
I am surprised at how generous they are with snacks in the galley!

The food looked and tasted amazing. I was so stuff by the end of it. The snacks in the galley were quite quirky - typical Japanese. There was a mayonnaise flavoured cracker for example.

tonyban

Wed May 01, 2019 8:02 pm

That legroom in economy is the best I've ever seen.

akinsoul
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2019 7:41 am

tonyban wrote:
That legroom in economy is the best I've ever seen.

To be fair, I have short legs but yeah, it was insane to have that much space in cattle class. Took me back to the good old days...I had such a good sleep, being able to stretch out properly.

aerdingus

Fri May 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Ah tis yourself. Cool flight. I liked the LATAM 787 but I hate the feeling that the windows are lying to me with this hue! Food looks great. I loved that they have those amazing toilets in the plane... so you get Japaned even before you get to the airport hahah.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

DDR

Sat May 04, 2019 6:01 pm

Great trip report mate! Great pics, lots of information, and I love the humor. And more importantly, it turned me on to your youtube channel. I subscribed!!

MarcoPoloWorld

Mon May 06, 2019 3:14 am

That kind of advanced toilet is called a bidet, and should be standard anywhere. Who wants to travel with residual crap in their butt? :) ... Anyway, thank you for reviewing ANA, easily one of the best carriers in the world. :airplane:

akinsoul
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 9:23 pm

aerdingus wrote:
the windows are lying to me... so you get Japaned even before you get to the airport

That made me LOL! Lying windows and getting Japaned. I might borrow that for my future videos....

DDR wrote:
Great trip report mate! Great pics, lots of information, and I love the humor. And more importantly, it turned me on to your youtube channel. I subscribed!!

Aw, thanks! Glad you like the report and the video! Thanks for subbing, too :)

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
That kind of advanced toilet is called a bidet, and should be standard anywhere. Who wants to travel with residual crap in their butt? :) ... Anyway, thank you for reviewing ANA, easily one of the best carriers in the world.

Hahaha, yes, a bidet! Tushie shower just sounds much more fun...Haha. So happy I could tick ANA long-haul off my list. They are an amazing airline and give people a glimpse of what flying used to be like.