MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

AussieHolidays (Pt2) - QF28 | SCL-SYD: Flying the Queen across the South Pacific Ocean+Jervis Bay

Sat May 11, 2019 3:28 am

Qantas Airways QF28
Sunday March 31st 2019
Santiago Comandante Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport (SCL/SCEL): 13.30 [13.50]
Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport (SYD/YSSY): 17.50+1 [17.22+1]
Boeing 747-438ER - VH-OEJ "Wunala"
Distance: 11363 km
Flight Time: 13 hours 32 minutes

FLIGHT REPORT
https://youtu.be/Vu6AApYgdRg

I landed in Santiago on flight LA 462 from Aeroparque. Being in transit it was not necessary to pick up my baggage and check in again. I bought the ticket through LATAM's website and it is not possible to select your seat if the flight is operated by other company, even if it's a OneWorld member. So went to Qantas' desk in order to secure a window seat. Then went through security y afterwards, to our assigned departure gate.

My plane was VH-OEJ. A 2003-built Boeing 747-438ER and named "Wunala". The very one which wore the both famous and beautiful "Wunala Dreaming" livery. I was SUPER happy to fly on a 747 again, had the chance just once when I was a kid on Alitalia flying FCO-GIG-EZE in 1992.

Boarding was called through two gates: C09 for Business class passengers and C11 for Premium Economy and Economy passengers as well.

A bit of water and soap for this window would not hurt anyone...

Our plane is fitted with four General Electric CF6-80C2B5F engines.

This B747-400 has 364 seats: 58 in Business, 36 in Premium Economy and 270 in Economy.

My seat was 61A.

Going to runway 17R.

TAKE OFF VIDEO
https://youtu.be/1tiRdA7cDAo

Ascending over Santiago.

Flying southbound.

Leaving the continent at Arcos de Calán in the Maule Region.

Beginning our long crossing over the South Pacific Ocean.

Cabin crew handed bottled water and then served lunch. I chose meat and veggies, bread bun, a beer and an apple pie.

Cabin view from the aft. The sun never sets. It's a 13-hour daylight flight so we were asked to lower the window blinds.

I slept two or three hours and I woke up half way to Sydney, over the Antarctic ocean. Didn't watch any movie or series, got myself entertained with the moving map.
Cabin crew was constantly offering beverages and there were plenty of snacks, candies and fruits back at the galley.

Still four hours away from Sydney, dinner was offered. I chose meat with potatoes, bread bun, a soda and a coconut minipie.

Tasman sea.

Descending.

Over Sydney Harbour.

LANDING VIDEO
https://youtu.be/0dch29DziEo

We landed on runway 16R and went to Terminal 1 (international flights).

VH-OEJ at SYD.

I picked up my baggage and went to immigration area. After coming across some rude agents, took the subway to Town Hall and walked my way to my hostel: Base Backpackers Sydney located in CBD, where I'd spend only a night.

Day 1
Despite my roomies decided to have a night full of sex, metres away from my bed, I got a good rest and the next morning I departed for Jervis Bay.

Took a train to Kiama, a 2 h 30 min trip aprox.

Once in Kiama had to take another train to Bomaderry, only 30 min away from Kiama.

From Bomaderry took a bus to my destination: Huskisson.

Lucky me, the driver was SUPER nice and friendly and took me up to the entrance of my accomodation: Jervis Bay Holiday Park. There, I stayed three days in this cosy Bushmans Cabin.

My "backyard" view: Currambene Creek.

Huskisson Beach.

Australian signals crossing.

Day 2
I woke, had breakfast and prepare myself to go to Jervis Bay. As I didn't rent a car, I had to walk 10 km (6.2 miles) to get there.

One of the beaches I visited the day before when it was so cloudy.

Moona Moona Creek

Vicentia - New South Wales

Jervis Bay

The way to the beaches is through a forest with thick foliage.

A lil buddy.

Chinamans Beach. Kilometres of white and thin flour-like sand. Only ten persons at the beach.

They tried to steal my backpack at the beach :lol:

Day 3
This day rained A LOT and could't get out of my cabin. Only at dusk, weather improved a bit and decided to read by the creek.

Next report I'll be covering one out of three domestic flights I took during my holidays in Australia. Cheers!.

VapourTrails

Re: AussieHolidays (Pt2) - QF28 | SCL-SYD: Flying the Queen across the South Pacific Ocean+Jervis Bay

Sat May 11, 2019 5:26 am

Hello! Welcome to Australia! Your TR caught my attention with the QF 744ER - and then.. ‘Wunala’ - I also have a TR on this aircraft coming along very slowly, one third done. I may have to break it up into two manageable parts, but am hoping to have it done before the aircraft retires!

I liked your videos. Glad you had a good introduction to your trip, for the most part! I like the fact that you got out of the cities and explored the beaches, wildlife, and some of the nicer and more private accommodation options. Those cabins are a great choice.

How did you cope with the jetlag on this route? Now to see where you go next on domestic..

Cheers. =

x1234

Re: AussieHolidays (Pt2) - QF28 | SCL-SYD: Flying the Queen across the South Pacific Ocean+Jervis Bay

Sat May 11, 2019 12:57 pm

WOW! So why is there a Air India B744 in SCL!? Looks like a long way from home... Cheers

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2019 4:18 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
Hello! Welcome to Australia! Your TR caught my attention with the QF 744ER - and then.. ‘Wunala’ - I also have a TR on this aircraft coming along very slowly, one third done. I may have to break it up into two manageable parts, but am hoping to have it done before the aircraft retires!

I liked your videos. Glad you had a good introduction to your trip, for the most part! I like the fact that you got out of the cities and explored the beaches, wildlife, and some of the nicer and more private accommodation options. Those cabins are a great choice.

How did you cope with the jetlag on this route? Now to see where you go next on domestic..

Cheers. =

Hello!

Thanks for you comment. It was an awesome holiday: got the chance to get in touch with tons of wildlife and spent most of my time in Australia visiting incredible beaches. Actually, I'm back home but looking forward to go back and explore other regions of that amazing country you have.

Regarding jetlag, flying westbound was not a big deal: arrived in Sydney at 6pm and went to bed at 9.30-10pm. Next day, I was fresh as a daisy. The issue was flying eastbound, back to Santiago as jetlag struck me quite a bit, it took me almost a complete week to regularize my sleeping pattern. I tried to be outdoors as much as I could and avoided naps during weekends.

About my domestic flights, I'm gonna give you a hint. I flew QantasLink, FlyPelican and REX.

I'm looking forward to your TR!. What route did you fly VH-OEJ?. Was so excited when I figured out she was Wunala! ♥

Cheers!

x1234 wrote:
WOW! So why is there a Air India B744 in SCL!? Looks like a long way from home... Cheers

Hello!

India's president Ram Nath Kovind was in an official trip, visiting Croatia, Bolivia and Chile.

Cheers!

Cotsi

Sat May 11, 2019 10:07 pm

A belated welcome to Australia. Your flight to SYD reminded me of my last flight from Sydney to Jo'burg - flying over Antarctica was amazing. Your photos of the Jervis By area brought back great memories of my trips there both for work and leisure - some of the beaches have the most amazing white sand; when I would go down in summer, I would always keep some swimmer and a towel in the car so I could grab a swim.

It was good that you did not stick to the cities and were able to see some rural areas.

Look forward to your domestic TR.

Cheers.

Kent350787

Sun May 12, 2019 12:14 am

Thanks for the great report. The Jervis Bay pics make me wantto book straight away (used to regularly visit Hyams Beach, and swim at Chinamans)

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2019 5:29 am

Cotsi wrote:
A belated welcome to Australia. Your flight to SYD reminded me of my last flight from Sydney to Jo'burg - flying over Antarctica was amazing. Your photos of the Jervis By area brought back great memories of my trips there both for work and leisure - some of the beaches have the most amazing white sand; when I would go down in summer, I would always keep some swimmer and a towel in the car so I could grab a swim.

It was good that you did not stick to the cities and were able to see some rural areas.

Look forward to your domestic TR.

Cheers.

Thank you!. Sadly we weren't south enough to see any part of Antarctica.
Jervis Bay was amazing. Three days aren't enough to explore the region although I got the chance to visit some parts.
Stay tuned for the following parts!

Kent350787 wrote:
Thanks for the great report. The Jervis Bay pics make me wantto book straight away (used to regularly visit Hyams Beach, and swim at Chinamans)

You're welcome!. Writing this TR makes me go back there. Had such a great time in Australia. Loved NSW.

VapourTrails

Sun May 12, 2019 6:22 am

MedFlyerArg85 wrote:
Hello!

Thanks for you comment. It was an awesome holiday: got the chance to get in touch with tons of wildlife and spent most of my time in Australia visiting incredible beaches. Actually, I'm back home but looking forward to go back and explore other regions of that amazing country you have.

Regarding jetlag, flying westbound was not a big deal: arrived in Sydney at 6pm and went to bed at 9.30-10pm. Next day, I was fresh as a daisy. The issue was flying eastbound, back to Santiago as jetlag struck me quite a bit, it took me almost a complete week to regularize my sleeping pattern. I tried to be outdoors as much as I could and avoided naps during weekends.

About my domestic flights, I'm gonna give you a hint. I flew QantasLink, FlyPelican and REX.

I'm looking forward to your TR!. What route did you fly VH-OEJ?. Was so excited when I figured out she was Wunala! ♥

Cheers!

Hi - yes, there is so much too see, so much I have not seen even as a resident. The Kimberley Region in Western Australia is a must I am told, and Broome and Cable Beach - but where to start really! Sounds like your domestic flights are regional New South Wales towns, and maybe Newcastle, Canberra, or Dubbo or Tamworth, or the coastal areas. I fly on QantasLink a lot so interested to hear your experiences and first impression. My trip on Wunala was a day trip over Antarctica, from Melbourne and returning to Tasmania. What a memory. Be so sad when they retire the Queen of the Skies. I’ll try to do it and the trip justice in my TR. I’ve only seen one other of those reports on A.net, although they run the charters about six times annually, so there is plenty of opportunity to get on one. I don’t know what aircraft will replace the 744ER on that route though.

Cheers!

jrfspa320

Sun May 12, 2019 7:14 am

Welcome! Great trip report, the Queens are special and will be missed when they go.

Thanks for writing up, good to see the holiday snaps too

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2019 3:32 pm

jrfspa320 wrote:
Welcome! Great trip report, the Queens are special and will be missed when they go.

Thanks for writing up, good to see the holiday snaps too

They surely will be missed. Thanks for your comment!
VapourTrails wrote:
MedFlyerArg85 wrote:
Hello!

Cheers!

Hi - yes, there is so much too see, so much I have not seen even as a resident. The Kimberley Region in Western Australia is a must I am told, and Broome and Cable Beach - but where to start really! Sounds like your domestic flights are regional New South Wales towns, and maybe Newcastle, Canberra, or Dubbo or Tamworth, or the coastal areas. I fly on QantasLink a lot so interested to hear your experiences and first impression. My trip on Wunala was a day trip over Antarctica, from Melbourne and returning to Tasmania. What a memory. Be so sad when they retire the Queen of the Skies. I’ll try to do it and the trip justice in my TR. I’ve only seen one other of those reports on A.net, although they run the charters about six times annually, so there is plenty of opportunity to get on one. I don’t know what aircraft will replace the 744ER on that route though.

Cheers!

Hi. Your day trip over Antarctica must been something out of this world. Will stay tuned to read it as soon as you post it. I wonder too if those flights will still be viable once QF retires its 744ER.
You're right about my domestic flights: flew QantasLink to Canberra, FlyPelican to Newcastle -out of CBR- and Rex from Ballina to Sydney. So TR covering each one of these flights are in the works.

Cheers!

gte439u

Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Thank you for making this great report. Flying over the South Pacific and Southern Oceans seems so cool.

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sun May 12, 2019 9:52 pm

gte439u wrote:
Thank you for making this great report. Flying over the South Pacific and Southern Oceans seems so cool.

You're welcome. It was one of the smoothest rides I've ever had.

brucetiki

Wed May 15, 2019 5:30 am

MedFlyerArg85 wrote:
I picked up my baggage and went to immigration area. After coming across some rude agents, took the subway to Town Hall and walked my way to my hostel: Base Backpackers Sydney located in CBD, where I'd spend only a night.

Ah I see you got a true Sydney welcome :D

Brilliant trip report - and you got to check out a beautiful part of Australia.

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm

brucetiki wrote:
MedFlyerArg85 wrote:

Ah I see you got a true Sydney welcome :D

Brilliant trip report - and you got to check out a beautiful part of Australia.

Got the full experience haha
Thanks for commenting!

RyanairGuru

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:47 am

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Jervis Bay :)

Huskisson and Hyams Beach have got to be among my very favourite places. The beaches are stunning and outside of the Christmas-to-Australia Day crazy period you generally get them to yourself.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:01 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
I'm so glad you enjoyed your time in Jervis Bay :)

Huskisson and Hyams Beach have got to be among my very favourite places. The beaches are stunning and outside of the Christmas-to-Australia Day crazy period you generally get them to yourself.

Thank you, I had a blast in JB. Only spent three days but I think that even having a week isn't enough. Hope to go back someday.