GE90man
Topic Author

Delta A321 LGA-DTW | Brand new Aircraft and the Delta difference

Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 pm

Hey everybody, I recently took a short trip to Detroit, and was aiming to keep the costs as low as possible. Of course, my first idea was Spirit. I soon found out that Delta was actually cheaper than Spirit going to Detroit. Of course, I was pleased at another chance to fly Delta, especially one of their new A321 aircraft. But not to worry, I would still get the full Spirit experience on the way back.
For my trip, I also made a Youtube video to capture the experience, including videos of the takeoff, landing, and a review of the IFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LLvZutdRL0&t=1s

I had never flown out of LGA before, even though I had lived on Long Island all my life. I didn't really know what to expect, other than construction was going on, and that Joe Biden once famously called LGA a third world country. Was it that bad? I would soon find out.

I found out that I would be leaving out of Terminal C via delta's app, which was really well laid out.

First thoughts of Terminal C:
even before I got in the terminal, it was clear there was a lot of construction going on. The check in area was pretty small, but I didn't need a check-in counter due to the Delta app being my boarding pass, and only taking carry-ons.
Even airside at terminal c, the terminal seemed small and cramped. The ceilings were low, and the seating areas were rather small. Still, it was more or less clean.
Terminal C is also connected to terminal d through a bridge. Terminal D had more food options (still overpriced) and seemed much more spacious than terminal c, probably due to it being constructed not too long ago.

I was also able to see Delta's new A220 up close and personal for the first time.

Tonight, I would be flying on N370DN, a less than two month-old A321 built in Mobile, Alabama. This would be what is probably the youngest aircraft I had ever flown, and my first American-built Airbus. The new Airbus aircraft are especially cool since they use all LED lighting, making their lights seem especially bright and white at night.
Since my gate tonight was gate D8, I did was not able to get any photos of my aircraft, since D8 was one of the only gates where you couldn't see your aircraft.

In order to get some photos of the cabin, I asked to board first during pre-boarding, and I was allowed by the nice gate agent. I truly believe that Delta have some of the best employees. More on that later.

Upon being the first to enter the aircraft, the Flight Attendant greeting me at the door was very nice to me, and even allowed me to take a photo of the cockpit, and I was able to chat with the pilots. The pilots had flown the same aircraft in from ATL, and arrived on the expressway approach on runway 13.
Later that night, we'd be taking off on runway 4 and doing a TOGA takeoff as the pilots explained. We were lightly loaded and the runway was wet. This was truly one of the most exhilarating takeoffs I had ever experienced, and we were off the ground in around just 20 seconds. (Video is in the Youtube video)

Legroom on the aircraft was very generous, and everything looked clean and new, as it should on such a new aircraft. In fact, this was probably the youngest aircraft I ever flew, even beating out N927VA, the Alaska More to Love NEO that I flew last summer when it was 4 months old.

Delta's IFE was awesome. There were loads of movies and shows, and the interactive map was super responsive. The aircraft was equipped with Gogo 2KU wifi, which was free for T-mobile customers. The wifi was rather quick, with download speeds up to 30 mbps.

There was a small service on the flight, and the flight attendants were barely able to get through the whole cabin before we started descending again.

Fancy mood lights as we descended.

Views on descent, featuring one of Delta's new a350s in the hangar.

Deboarding

DTW seemed very quiet at this hour, and there were no other flights to arrive. I was pleasantly surprised by McNamara terminal, which was clean, spacious, and modern. The only gripe were the famous DTW dots, which infamously get in the way of photographing aircraft from the terminal building.

Final thoughts

Delta offers a great domestic service regardless of where you are flying. Most of the aircraft cabins are new with Delta's amazing IFE, stocked with many movies and shows. Additionally, I think that Delta's employees stick out in the airline industry for being the most professional and warm. The flight attendant who greeted me at the door was especially warm to me, and even got talking with me about working at Delta and allowing me to visit the cockpit. The pilots were also very nice to me, and talked me through the takeoff. The seats were very comfortable and the in-flight wifi was a nice touch.

From my experiences flying Delta, every single employee I have come across seemed to genuinely take pride in their job, no matter what the role. Unlike the other US3 airlines, Delta seems to really care and concentrate on the passenger, and this is apparent in Delta's efforts to renew cabins of old aircraft, keeping the IFE in aircraft, installing wifi across their own fleet, and keep a professional image. For all of the reasons, I would definitely fly Delta again, and I truly believe they shine among the US3.

kimimm19

Re: Delta A321 LGA-DTW | Brand new Aircraft and the Delta difference

Sat May 18, 2019 9:03 am

Nice report!

I too find that Delta makes flying domestic in a narrowbody in the US far less painful than their counterparts United and American. The combination of an Airbus (slightly wider than the 737) and their great hard product + IFE is a difference maker!