ClassicLover
Topic Author

Riding the Shamrock in 2019 - Aer Lingus Dublin to Amsterdam, now with mood lighting!

Sat May 25, 2019 12:45 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here!

I'm a big fan of mood lighting on board an aircraft and now that airlines are adding it to the short haul fleet, I get to see it much more than before. It is relaxing, welcoming and looks pretty classy as well, I feel. Aer Lingus have mood lighting on well over half their European fleet and it makes a massive difference to the whole feel.

Since it had been a year since I last flew with the Irish carrier, I felt it was time to do a full review of the experience from end to end. You'll find mood lighting, breakfasts, and something a little bit saucy as well in this review, so I hope you enjoy it!

EI602 – Dublin to Amsterdam (DUB-AMS)
22 May 2019
Airbus A320 – EI-EDP – St. Albert
Seat: Economy 3A
Departure: 06:15 Arrival: 08:55

I purchased Fast-Track at Dublin Airport for €6.99 which meant I could arrive later and as usual it took about two minutes to get through. I had no baggage whatsoever on this trip, which made things even more pleasant than usual.

After a wander around the pier, I sat down near the gate and waited for boarding to commence. It started earlier than the 5:50am time on the boarding passes. People with priority boarding are asked to board first, and I was the second person on board as a result.

After showing my mobile boarding pass at the door, I smiled as I noticed the blue mood lighting, which I think looks gorgeous! Naturally I took a picture before everyone boarded and then took my seat. There is plenty of room for your legs on this version of the Airbus A320 at Aer Lingus. The literature is all at the top of the seat, which adds to the space at knee level.

Once everyone is on board, one of our two female pilots made a welcome announcement. This was in stark contrast to my return flight, where there was zero communication from the two men up front. Next we had the safety demonstration and headed up into the morning sky. Shortly after take-off, the cabin crew swing into action and I ordered the Irish Breakfast. This costs €10.00, includes a hot drink of your choice and you can pay by cash or card. My card payment was taken promptly and I elected to have a Latte to drink.

A box arrives which contains the meal. Inside is a cup of Orange Juice, two slices of brown Wholewheat bread, butter, orange Marmalade, and the breakfast. The breakfast is two sausages, a slice of bacon, a tomato, black pudding, white pudding and potato medallions. Also you get a packet with a knife, fork, spoon, waste bag, salt, pepper, sugar, milk, a napkin and a moist cleansing towel.

The saying goes that familiarity breeds contempt, but I don’t feel this way. Part of the whole Aer Lingus experience for me is having an Irish breakfast and it’s been the same for a long time. Apart from the addition of a cardboard box and slight branding differences, it’s exactly the same as it was in the past, which you can see below. I would argue that the stupidly wasteful box it now comes in is a step backwards. It takes up far too much room on the pull down tray and just adds to the rubbish being disposed of at the end of the flight.

For years I have craved some goddamned tomato ketchup or tomato sauce with the Irish Breakfast on Aer Lingus. This time I finally remembered to snag some sachets and bring them with me. Hallelujah and praise the lord! The very tasty breakfast has been elevated to new heights with the addition of the sauce! Aer Lingus, please have this available, even on request. Who doesn’t have sauce with breakfast? Like seriously now! After eating everything in front of me, plus drinking the pretty delicious latte (which tastes better with two sugars and two of the milk sachets added!), the crew collected the rubbish and we descended and landed into Amsterdam pretty much on time.

On this trip I was heading to Amsterdam for a job interview and wanted a relaxing morning experience. Therefore, instead of paying €50 return on Ryanair, I paid €150 for my Aer Lingus flights. I did not want to have Ryanair’s boarding experience and surly cabin crew irritating me before the interview. It is money well spent in my opinion. Loved the mood lighting, thought the crew were fantastic and happy in their work, plus the food quality is fantastic. That latte is also quite good!

My only quibble is the box the breakfast comes in. It’s such a waste and I would have had a hard time with it had the seat beside me not been free. I used the middle table to help spread the mess, so I think going back to the boxless version would be better. Of course, tomato sauce would be nice too! Otherwise, full marks all round.

What do you think of this Aer Lingus experience? Have you flown with Aer Lingus before within Europe and what did you think? Remember, you can see all the images that go with this report by clicking here. Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Flanker7

Re: Riding the Shamrock in 2019 - Aer Lingus Dublin to Amsterdam, now with mood lighting!

Sat May 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Good report, did you the job?
Flying blue only if possible

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Re: Riding the Shamrock in 2019 - Aer Lingus Dublin to Amsterdam, now with mood lighting!

Sat May 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
Good report, did you the job?

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! It was just a first interview, so I am waiting to hear if I get through to the final one. Fingers crossed! I won't know for a while yet, I don't think.

aerdingus

Sun May 26, 2019 12:25 pm

I also love that breakfast and treated myself to it last year heading to Spain for the year. I also agree with the waste...it was difficult trying to fit it on thee exit row table but like you I had no one beside me! Next mission is... macaroni cheese pie haha. Nice report, the lighting is cool
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 6:51 am

aerdingus wrote:
I also love that breakfast and treated myself to it last year heading to Spain for the year. I also agree with the waste...it was difficult trying to fit it on thee exit row table but like you I had no one beside me! Next mission is... macaroni cheese pie haha. Nice report, the lighting is cool

That's my next mission as well, I really want to try that pie! :) Glad you enjoyed the report. The mood lighting makes such a difference, especially on an early morning departure. Any kind of relaxing light is helpful that early in the morning.

B-707

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 pm

Nice report thank you. That breakfast looks tasty. :yummy: :yummy:

mchei

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:59 pm

The seats and the lights look very welcoming. Nice layout of the cabin!
You really eat this for breakfast? But then you skip lunch, right? I’m German. I like sausages, naturally. But for breakfast?
I don’t even want to imagine what the French would say ;)
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11