MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

AussieHolidays (3): Boeing 717 to beautiful Canberra.

Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm

Day 5
I woke up very early that Friday April 05th and left the Jervis Bay Holiday Park, heading to Sydney Kingsford Smith Intl Airport. This meant backtracking and then flying to Canberra but as the point was getting on a Boeing 717 it was not a big deal. Jervis Bay Airport Express picked me up and left me at the very entrance of T3.

T3 is used only by Qantas and QantasLink domestic flights. I went to do my check in, printed my boarding pass, the luggage identification tags y and dropped my bag.

One cool thing is that you can get free acces to the boarding gates after clearing security, so this means that you can wait with your people till you get onboard.
As I had A LOT of time to kill until my departure, I toured the terminal. Took some pics, had lunch and visited the Qantas Heritage Collection.

Boeing 747's tire.

Jumbo's windshield.

Different Qantas' uniforms through the years.

VIDEO

Besides the collection being incredible, you can get an awesome view from there.

Boeing 747-438 ER - VH-OEI "Ceduna" being towed to Terminal 1 to fly to Santiago as QF 27.

Lunch time.

Airbus A330-202 - VH-EBB "Albany" departing for Perth as QF 577.

My aircraft arriving from Hobart, Tasmania as QF 1584.

VH-NXE is a 2000-built Boeing 717-23S operated by Cobham Aviation for QantasLink.

Went up to the Qantas Heritage Collection again to take photos of my plane from other perspective.

She's two BMW RR BR715 engines.

VH-NXE suffered an accident in the night of February 07 th 2019. She was operating as QF 1944 from Cairns to Darwin via Gove, carrying 94 people aboard. During the landing at Darwin, in the middle of rainshowers and thunderstorms, experienced a descent rate of 1000 ft/min being only at 30 ft over the runway and at the same time the crew pulled the nose up. This cause a hard landing which made the aircraft to bounce once before settling onto the runway and continue with the landing procedure. As a result, this B717 was considerable damaged and had to be repaired, returning to the skies in May 2008.

Waiting to board through gate 13.

QantasLink QF 1515 operated by Cobham Aviation Services.
Friday April 05 th, 2019.
Sydney-Kingsford Smith International Airport (SYD/YSSY): 15.35 [15.43]
Canberra International Airport (CBR/YSCB): 16.30 [16.28]
Distance: 236 kilómetros.
Flight Time: 45 minutes.

View from my emergency seat, 14F.

Completing boarding.

We took off from runway 16R.

TAKE OFF VIDEO

FL230

Surprisingly for such a short flight, service was delivered.

Sweet cookies, salty crackers, mustard, cheese and a selection of beverages.

Halfway there we were in a holding pattern for a while.

Descending to runway 35.

LANDING VIDEO

FLIGHT REPORT VIDEO

Once outside the terminal, took bus number 3 which would take to city centre and then walked my way to YHA Canberra.

I stayed three days at the australian capital and though this trip was an excuse to get onboard a B717, I must admit that Canberra blew my mind and fell in love with the city.

Canberra Times Fountain

Day 6

ACT Legislative Assembly and Ethos statue by Tom Bass (1961).

Canberran Architecture.

National Museum of Australia.

Australian LGBTQI community conquers.

Viiew from the museum.

Geble Park

Mahatma Gandhi

New Parliament House.

The Great Hall.

The House of Representatives.

The Senate.

Old Parliament House.

Front view of the Old Parliament House, now holds the Museum of the Australian Democracy.

Senate Gardens.

Commonwealth Place.

Burley Griffin Lake.

Commonwealth Park.

Flying foxes everywhere.

Day 7

Australian War Memorial.

After visiting the Memorial, went all the way up to have a look of Canberra from Mount Ainslie top, at a height of 846 metres.

Canberra's ravens.

After coming down from the top, went to Weston Park.

Tesltra Tower view from Weston Park.

Finally it happened!. The most eagerly awaited encounter. Seeing them at their wild habitat was out of this world.

MY TRIP REPORTS

[AussieHolidays (Pt2) - QF28 | SCL-SYD: Flying the Queen across the South Pacific Ocean+Jervis Bay
AussieHolidays: Crossing the Andes with LATAM to catch a Roo (Pt1)
Now everyone can fly...delayed [Andes to Buenos Aires]
Flying a plane to get a train to the clouds: Aerolíneas Argentinas to Salta.
Finishing 2018 on Andes' MD83 [Pics&Videos]
Amazing Argentina: Iguazú Falls, MD83 and first time featuring Andes Líneas Aéreas on the site!. [VIDEO+PHOTOS]
LATAM Argentina | Airbus 320-233 | Buenos Aires [AEP] - Tucumán [TUC]
LATAM Argentina | Airbus 320-233 | Tucumán [TUC] - Buenos Aires [AEP]
Crossing the Andes: Sky Airline A319 Buenos Aires-Ezeiza to Santiago and back!
Flight Report | Avianca Argentina | ATR 72-600 | Rosario [ROS] - Buenos Aires [AEP]
Avianca Argentina A07100 AEP-ROS [JUN232018] - Pic and Video Report
Flight&Video Report | Austral Líneas Aéreas | Embraer 190AR | Buenos Aires [AEP] - Rosario [ROS] - Buenos Aires [EZE]
Flown: B717 - B722 - B732 - B737 - B738 - B742 - B744 - B762 - B789 - MD82 - MD83 - MD11 - A306 - A320 - A321 - A319 - A330 - J32 - SF340 - ATR72-600

Cotsi

Re: AussieHolidays (3): Boeing 717 to beautiful Canberra.

Fri May 31, 2019 9:40 pm

Another excellent trip report, mate - really enjoyed it particularly the video. Why did the woman next to you have an attitude to the crew? I worked at Ansett Australia when I was studying at university - 99% of people are great but there are always one or 2 dickheads who have an attitude and want to cause trouble over the most minute "issues". The 717 is a great airplane - reminds me of the 727 which was my favourite to fly....love the way it used to "sink" onto the runway when it was landing.
Canberra is an excellent place to spend a few days. Being a federally funded city/territory, it has quite good facilities and infrastructure. When I was an attorney, I used to go there and to the neighbouring NSW town of Queanbeyan for court - in winter, you have to fly down the night before as the airport often gets fogged in and the courts won't allow you to be late. When ever I go down now it is usually to see friends or if there is an exhibition at the Australian Art Gallery. The War Memorial is a very moving place - you could spend an entire day there and still not see anything: it makes one appreciate the efforts that our soldiers did for us all including my grandfather who fought in Europe in World War 1.
I quite like the new Parliament House - the last time I was there, Parliament was sitting so we were able to watch it in the House of Representatives (green chamber) - I love that you can park you car under the building and then walk up and only go through security when you actually enter the building.....typically Aussie attitude to things.
Look forward to you next instalment.
Cheers.

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Cotsi wrote:
Another excellent trip report, mate - really enjoyed it particularly the video. Why did the woman next to you have an attitude to the crew? I worked at Ansett Australia when I was studying at university - 99% of people are great but there are always one or 2 dickheads who have an attitude and want to cause trouble over the most minute "issues". The 717 is a great airplane - reminds me of the 727 which was my favourite to fly....love the way it used to "sink" onto the runway when it was landing.
Canberra is an excellent place to spend a few days. Being a federally funded city/territory, it has quite good facilities and infrastructure. When I was an attorney, I used to go there and to the neighbouring NSW town of Queanbeyan for court - in winter, you have to fly down the night before as the airport often gets fogged in and the courts won't allow you to be late. When ever I go down now it is usually to see friends or if there is an exhibition at the Australian Art Gallery. The War Memorial is a very moving place - you could spend an entire day there and still not see anything: it makes one appreciate the efforts that our soldiers did for us all including my grandfather who fought in Europe in World War 1.
I quite like the new Parliament House - the last time I was there, Parliament was sitting so we were able to watch it in the House of Representatives (green chamber) - I love that you can park you car under the building and then walk up and only go through security when you actually enter the building.....typically Aussie attitude to things.
Look forward to you next instalment.
Cheers.

Thank you!.
That woman was texting during the safety demo and a male FA told her to switch it to airplane mode. She put her phone away and after two minutes was texting again. The very same cabin crew came and told her about how that interferes with communication and she just pretended she was browsing through her Whatsapp messages.
Flown: B717 - B722 - B732 - B737 - B738 - B742 - B744 - B762 - B789 - MD82 - MD83 - MD11 - A306 - A320 - A321 - A319 - A330 - J32 - SF340 - ATR72-600

VapourTrails

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:40 am

Hi - thank you for putting up this trip report. T3 at SYD is awesome. It's good you made some time to wander around before your flight. Be interesting to see how being at SYD compares with that atmosphere once the new airport at Western Sydney opens. I am really glad you liked your first experience of Canberra. You definitely made the most of the time and saw a lot of sights. I am glad you got the opportunity to get up close to the roos! Did you use the walking track to the summit of Mount Ainslie? I've done it once, and am planning on doing it again this winter. Not as fit now, but I like the reasonable challenge! Mount Pleasant near Mount Ainslie is also a worthy mention for a Canberra visit. Not as high, but I think the view is better, a different angle. You picked a good time of year to visit too by the way. Look forward to the next trip instalment! :wave:

=

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
Hi - thank you for putting up this trip report. T3 at SYD is awesome. It's good you made some time to wander around before your flight. Be interesting to see how being at SYD compares with that atmosphere once the new airport at Western Sydney opens. I am really glad you liked your first experience of Canberra. You definitely made the most of the time and saw a lot of sights. I am glad you got the opportunity to get up close to the roos! Did you use the walking track to the summit of Mount Ainslie? I've done it once, and am planning on doing it again this winter. Not as fit now, but I like the reasonable challenge! Mount Pleasant near Mount Ainslie is also a worthy mention for a Canberra visit. Not as high, but I think the view is better, a different angle. You picked a good time of year to visit too by the way. Look forward to the next trip instalment! :wave:

=

Hello!
Thanks for you comment. Didn't know about the new airport!
I used that walking track to the summit you've mentioned and had to stop now and then but made it, at last. Maybe next time, will give Mt Pleaseant a try. I highly recommend everyone who visit that part of Australia to visit Canberra. Such an nderrated city!

Cheers!

RyanairGuru

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:21 am

Thank you for this trip report, and I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay in Canberra! It really is incredibly underated, and living here you do get used to being asked "why?" when you tell someone from anywhere else in Australia that you live in Canberra. Glad you enjoyed your 717 flight too. I really like them.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:07 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Thank you for this trip report, and I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay in Canberra! It really is incredibly underated, and living here you do get used to being asked "why?" when you tell someone from anywhere else in Australia that you live in Canberra. Glad you enjoyed your 717 flight too. I really like them.

You're welcome!. Funny thing is I got the very same question when telling I went to CBR. Everyone frowned!. Such a nice and welcoming city.

moa999

Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 pm

MedFlyerArg85 wrote:
didn't know about the new airport!

Under construction and not expected to open until late 2026. Not planned to shut the current airport, more that Western Sydney Airport will serve a different catchment area, and with 24hr operations provide more flexibility for some airlines and freight.

It's about 40km West of the current Sydney Airport.

Glad you enjoyed Canberra. It's got a bit of a reputation as a boring city , but I agree there is a lot to do, and it has some beautiful parks and gardens.